market

jimgl3_imp

Been there
Thread starter
what the devil is going on in the motorcycle market?

I'm looking at Suzuki m109r and they were supposed to arrive in December, but no sign of them. Also looking at HD lowrider S and they have added $800 surcharge to the few that are out there.

any insight anyone?
 
Likely shadowing what much of the automobile industry will be doing in 2022.

Whether legit or not for motorcycles, marketers would be hard-pressed to resist to toe the line of the "supply chain" thang.
 
With the pandemic and supply chain issues bikes are scarcer then hens teeth. Prices are up for used bikes, folks are using the supply and demand as an excuse to raise prices.
 
obleo_imp said:
With the pandemic and supply chain issues bikes are scarcer then hens teeth. Prices are up for used bikes, folks are using the supply and demand as an excuse to raise prices.
That is NS for sure! I was looking at Honda Ridgeline pickups, but even way used ones with 150k miles on them are thru the roof! I'm thinking I'll wait a year to see if prices come down any at all, or maybe look at Chevy Silverado 4Xs, which are also thru the roof.
 
a coworker of mine got T-boned in his work truck...it's a 12 year old Tacoma with 170k miles on it. covered in scratches and dents. tail gate is banged up and doesn't close properly. interior is smelly and dirty. typical work truck. another car struck him dead on the passenger side and smashed up the body pretty badly.

He asked the insurance adjuster if the truck was going to get totalled because of all the damage and they told him "no way, that truck is worth 30k in the current market."
 
If you told me I'd be buying a motorcycle in this market, I'd say you are crazy. When my wife and I looked at a new CB3000R in the showroom, the sticker price was $4999, and the dealer had attached a $700 markup on it on top of their customary assembly fees. The bottom number on the sticker, before taxes, was about $6200.

That sounded nuts to me, and we were just window shopping, so there wasn't even a consideration of buying it. Made the '21 model I just picked up with 500 miles seem like an absolute steal. After niggling over some minor cosmetic issues, I threw out a take-it-or leave-it offer, and the owner accepted. The bike is well designed for beginners, and any parts that can touch the ground in a tip-over are pretty cheap and easily replaceable. I ordered the bits to make it perfect, and immediately got an email saying that all of the parts are on backorder due to the pandemic. Under the current circumstances, that's understandable. Those parts are purely cosmetic. I certainly hope that none of my bikes will need critical mechanical parts until the world returns to some sense of normality.
 
Houtman_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Old cars and motorcycles are worth stealing again.

Beware.
At first I thought that you were giving us a tip how to make some extra money but than I read "Beware "
At first I thought that you were giving us a tip how to make some extra money but than I read "Beware "
 
Houtman_imp said:
EVERYTHING in life is supply and demand !
... such as Covid, children, drought, marriage, early loss of teeths, cancer, your last wreck, and all the rest ...
GoldOxide_imp said:
Old cars and motorcycles are worth stealing again.

Beware.
... beware of the poor quality, the expected cost of repairs, or the owner's revolver ?
 
j3gq_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
EVERYTHING in life is supply and demand !
... such as Covid, children, drought, marriage, early loss of teeths, cancer, your last wreck, and all the rest ...
GoldOxide_imp said:
Old cars and motorcycles are worth stealing again.

Beware.
... beware of the poor quality, the expected cost of repairs, or the owner's revolver ?
... beware of the poor quality, the expected cost of repairs, or the owner's revolver ?
I reckon the used parts markets would gain from salvagers and chop shops.
 
[/QUOTE]
I reckon the used parts markets would gain from salvagers and chop shops.
[/QUOTE]

The recent explosion in catalytic converter theft is a good indicator of that, owing to the high value of the recoverable precious metals.
 
Just revisiting this thread after a quick drop-in at my local dealer at lunch today.
Killing time before a meeting, and stopped to peruse what was on the showroom floor. The CB300R that had a final price tag of $6200 on my last visit in January now reads $6299. Mind you, the base sticker price of the bike is $4949.

Since it's such a gas sipper, and gas has gone above $6/gallon since I last saw this bike in the same showroom, I wonder if they're figuring that people are clamoring for small-displacement machines?
 
Bikes that I'm interested in are no shows (or have year long wait lists - with deposits) and dealers, cars and motorcycles both; charge nasty high fees. So the pox on them, no new vehicles for me this year. I'll wait until things get sane again.
 
Back
Top