Mag-Knight Magnetic Knee Pads

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I've used the Mag-Knight product on many of my bikes. http://mag-knight.com/Simple Sheet.htm

I like the fact that it does not use adhesives which can, over time, damage the painted surfaces.

Magnetic tank pads can easily be removed and the entire tank surface polished.

With 700 miles to date I've already scuffed the clear coat along the edge of the tank, so, I'm extending the knee pads to cover the areas where my pants rub the tank.

My pattern for the Mag-Knight magnetic knee pads.


The Mag-Knight Simple Sheet is 12" long, just long enough for my knee pad pattern.


The knee pad pattern can also be cut to exclude the extra material that protects the edges of the tank for that classic knee pad look.


TINK
 
Good job :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm a fan of the Mag-Knight products too and have used them on several bikes to protect vulnerable areas.
Some time ago in another thread, a member here posted patterns for knee pads. I printed them and ordered magnetic sheets from Mag-Knight and cut knee pads for the CB.
The size I used originally was the size and pattern in your last pic, but after a while they looked too big so I cut them down (shortened) about 25% but kept the same pattern.
I also have a Mag-Knight protector on the gas tank where a belt buckle might rub.
 
Tink, do you have any pictures of the magnetic knee pads on the CB1100? These knee pads sounds like a good alternative to the adhesive types but I would like to see how it looks.
 
Thread starter
I'm still waiting for the materials to arrive, 808_rider. Just the templates so far. Will post photos once I've completed the mod.

TINK


808_rider_imp said:
Tink, do you have any pictures of the magnetic knee pads on the CB1100? These knee pads sounds like a good alternative to the adhesive types but I would like to see how it looks.
Going with the traditional black.

TINK

Papa Weeley_imp said:
Are you just using the black, or are you going to try the universal "dark red"?
 
Waitaminute here..."knee pads" on a HONDA CB?

*blink*.

I suppose there were on the early CB450 series, but none on the 750 series and I suspect most of the other CB lines throughout the ages which serve as the inspiration for our new legendary CB1100. On Triumphs, yes. I suppose it is your CB and you can do what you want but to avoid voiding your CB standing you probably need to outfit her with CB type accessories, which certainly do not include "knee pads". How many 750s you see with "knee pads". But, chrome sissey bar...yup..almost mandatory. Café racer wind shield, ah no.

But you paid your money for a CB, so how come if you wanted a "knee pad" for this beautiful machine you did not just buy a Triumph T100?
 
NightRider..we sorta have a policy of letting guys modify their CBs however they like without much criticism. The CB's of the 70s and 80s were UJMs and although they came one way, they were quite often modified into cafe racers, drag bikes, tourers, choppers and everything in between. Many of us are doing the same thing with them 45 years later.

If he wants knee pads on his 1100 to protect his paint, thats his business and perogative.
 
Excellent job on the application. Most of my wear is in the area where my belly hits lol
 
NightRider_imp said:
Waitaminute here..."knee pads" on a HONDA CB?

*blink*.

I suppose there were on the early CB450 series, but none on the 750 series and I suspect most of the other CB lines throughout the ages which serve as the inspiration for our new legendary CB1100. On Triumphs, yes. I suppose it is your CB and you can do what you want but to avoid voiding your CB standing you probably need to outfit her with CB type accessories, which certainly do not include "knee pads". How many 750s you see with "knee pads". But, chrome sissey bar...yup..almost mandatory. Café racer wind shield, ah no.

But you paid your money for a CB, so how come if you wanted a "knee pad" for this beautiful machine you did not just buy a Triumph T100?
Too each their own, kinda like oil filter covers.
 
Thread starter
NightRider_imp said:
Waitaminute here..."knee pads" on a HONDA CB?

*blink*.

I suppose there were on the early CB450 series, but none on the 750 series and I suspect most of the other CB lines throughout the ages which serve as the inspiration for our new legendary CB1100. On Triumphs, yes. I suppose it is your CB and you can do what you want but to avoid voiding your CB standing you probably need to outfit her with CB type accessories, which certainly do not include "knee pads". How many 750s you see with "knee pads". But, chrome sissey bar...yup..almost mandatory. Café racer wind shield, ah no.

But you paid your money for a CB, so how come if you wanted a "knee pad" for this beautiful machine you did not just buy a Triumph T100?
NightRider,
I understand your point about the classic CB750 of the past not having knee pads, but, I decided to depart from tradition for a very practical reason...
Riding the new CB1100, shall we say "quickly" :rolleyes: is reminiscent of riding an old super sport bike from the `70's; grip the tank firmly with your knees and hang on!
I quickly found that I was scuffing the clear coat on the tank. And so, magnetic knee pads were my solution.
As you pointed out, the older Honda's of the `60's such as the CB450 had factory installed knee pads, so, I'm still paying homage to Honda design themes of the past, in my own way.
Bottom Line: It's my bike and I can do as I please, thank you very much! :cool:

c1f8aabff724d011912ca6ce343b013e.jpg

Oh, and here's another departure from traditional convention, NightRider...

My 1992 NightHawk CB750 had (GASP!) "chrome" knee pads, reminiscent of the BSA's of the `60's.



TINK :cool:

PS
The nice thing about the magnetic knee pad material, when you go to sell the bike, it's easy to remove them, and the paint underneath is undamaged.
 
I recall that the '69 CB350 also featured knee pads.

Those chrome pads on the Nighthawk look surprisingly nice. What brand windscreen is the Nighthawk sporting?
 
My CL 77 ( 305 scrambler) had em.

Those chrome ones do look good on that black 750 Nighthawk. Reminds me of a lot of brit bikes and the 73 MG 850 Eldorado
 
Thread starter
The fly screen was a Honda 919 accessory. It worked great! Rode that bike to/from work for 10 years behind that 919 fly screen. :thumbsup:


Guth_imp said:
I recall that the '69 CB350 also featured knee pads.

Those chrome pads on the Nighthawk look surprisingly nice. What brand windscreen is the Nighthawk sporting?
 
Guth_imp said:
I recall that the '69 CB350 also featured knee pads.

Those chrome pads on the Nighthawk look surprisingly nice. What brand windscreen is the Nighthawk sporting?
I also recall the 69 CB350 was not in the CB four family.
TINK_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
Waitaminute here..."knee pads" on a HONDA CB?

*blink*.

I suppose there were on the early CB450 series, but none on the 750 series and I suspect most of the other CB lines throughout the ages which serve as the inspiration for our new legendary CB1100. On Triumphs, yes. I suppose it is your CB and you can do what you want but to avoid voiding your CB standing you probably need to outfit her with CB type accessories, which certainly do not include "knee pads". How many 750s you see with "knee pads". But, chrome sissey bar...yup..almost mandatory. Café racer wind shield, ah no.

But you paid your money for a CB, so how come if you wanted a "knee pad" for this beautiful machine you did not just buy a Triumph T100?
NightRider,
I understand your point about the classic CB750 of the past not having knee pads, but, I decided to depart from tradition for a very practical reason...
Riding the new CB1100, shall we say "quickly" :rolleyes: is reminiscent of riding an old super sport bike from the `70's; grip the tank firmly with your knees and hang on!
I quickly found that I was scuffing the clear coat on the tank. And so, magnetic knee pads were my solution.
As you pointed out, the older Honda's of the `60's such as the CB450 had factory installed knee pads, so, I'm still paying homage to Honda design themes of the past, in my own way.
Bottom Line: It's my bike and I can do as I please, thank you very much! :cool:

c1f8aabff724d011912ca6ce343b013e.jpg

Oh, and here's another departure from traditional convention, NightRider...

My 1992 NightHawk CB750 had (GASP!) "chrome" knee pads, reminiscent of the BSA's of the `60's.



TINK :cool:

PS
The nice thing about the magnetic knee pad material, when you go to sell the bike, it's easy to remove them, and the paint underneath is undamaged.
NightRider,
I understand your point about the classic CB750 of the past not having knee pads, but, I decided to depart from tradition for a very practical reason...
Riding the new CB1100, shall we say "quickly" :rolleyes: is reminiscent of riding an old super sport bike from the `70's; grip the tank firmly with your knees and hang on!
I quickly found that I was scuffing the clear coat on the tank. And so, magnetic knee pads were my solution.
As you pointed out, the older Honda's of the `60's such as the CB450 had factory installed knee pads, so, I'm still paying homage to Honda design themes of the past, in my own way.
Bottom Line: It's my bike and I can do as I please, thank you very much! :cool:

259ea3a872e6974fe794ad00ecdc0cf1.jpg

Oh, and here's another departure from traditional convention, NightRider...

My 1992 NightHawk CB750 had (GASP!) "chrome" knee pads, reminiscent of the BSA's of the `60's.



TINK :cool:

PS
The nice thing about the magnetic knee pad material, when you go to sell the bike, it's easy to remove them, and the paint underneath is undamaged.
I believe I said that since you bought it then you can do what you like, of course.

I appreciate your love of changing your bike. But as you know, I hated the mod and I wanted you to take perhaps a second look at this path. it's important that we always be honest with each other and along that vein, I should hope that if I decide to paint pink pin strips with "Hello Kitty" hearts on my black std and then post pictures of it saying "hey, look what I did that I can expect honest opinions and take them as they are offered, as a different opinion.

Thanks for your reply.
 
PLEASE post pics of your Hello Kitty bike! :)
 
Back
Top