Lunch and ride with Kyhiker1100

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Got a pm this morning from Kyhiker1100 wanting to know what my schedule was for the day, as he was headed this way up from Louisville Ky and would like to meet up and maybe ride. I had some errands planned, but could be gone for a little while, so I suggested lunch in Alexandria, Ky. It has changed since we both had been there and the Perkins I suggested meeting at, had become a Frishes Big Boy. Good enough.

I arrived a few minutes before the scheduled meeting time (Don't say it Sea! lol) and was waiting for him when I saw him coming from a direction I hadn't expected. Seems he grew up just down the street and knew a back way in.

Second thing I noticed was the unusual handlebars..unusual for 2015, but quite common in 1980. We called them Buckhorn bars back then. They were on the bike when he bought it.



Soon a bright red CB pulls into the lot and off hops Kyhiker1100. :biker:

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20ride%20with%20KyHiker%205-4-2015%20006_zpsvu3xgeqi.jpg.html]

We go inside for lunch and proper introductions (His real name is Steve). We both ordered sweet iced tea, a sandwich and a bowl of chili. Good stuff. The conversation flowed easily. Unlike me, Steve leads an interesting life... hiking, camping, going to live music shows, building houses for Habitat for Humanity, and much more (I felt like a total slug in comparison... ALL I do is ride lol) and he is really looking forward to the rally in NC. He's camping btw if anyone else is, look him up. Anyhow, as we finished eating, we talked our waitress Marissa into taking a pic for posterity..ie: this thread. :D BTW Kyhiker is the guy with the white beard...oh wait ..he's the guy on the left. The one that still has hair.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20ride%20with%20KyHiker%205-4-2015%20007_zpsvdargp4z.jpg.html]

I decided I had time to lead Steve on a few nice roads I regularly ride if he had time, and he did, so we went out to find these two CB's raring to go.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20ride%20with%20KyHiker%205-4-2015%20008_zps7lotjlvu.jpg.html]

We then hit the curves, here's some pics of Kyhiker on his 1100 following me on my home turf including on "My Road". I made him swear an oath not to tell anyone where it was......... (j/k)

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20ride%20with%20KyHiker%205-4-2015%20018_zpsyo4yepan.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20ride%20with%20KyHiker%205-4-2015%20019_zpstwcatsef.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20ride%20with%20KyHiker%205-4-2015%20025_zpskukityub.jpg.html]

After an hour of this I really needed to get at least 1 errand completed, so we headed back towards the outer belt around Cinti, where Steve would head south toward Louisville and I would turn north.

Here is Steve headed home.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20ride%20with%20KyHiker%205-4-2015%20029_zpsnvqrmnuj.jpg.html]

Steve, pleasure to meet you my man, and thanks for the fun ride. See you at the end of the month down in North Carolina :hello:
 
LOL

"After an hour of this I really needed to get at least 1 errand completed"

Forum translation: I wanted to get in another 100 miles before stopping at the store one mile from home to pick up a jar of mustard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Nice one, Ferret and Kyhiker1100. Thanks for the translation, Guth. It occurred to me they must have been very pressing errands indeed for the Ferret not to abandon them completely for the chance of a ride.

That last picture of Kyhiker heading home reminds me how small the CB1100 looks.

Edit: maybe compact is a better word than small.
 
Nice pics and a great write up. I've been lucky enough to meet, and ride with, three people from the Forum. What a great group of people here.

Mustard?? I got $5.00 that says Mickey doesn't eat mustard because it's "too spicy".
 
Thread starter
Sea.. If you're talking Brown mustard, you win. I can handle regular yellow mustard though.
 
Ferret, great write up. Those Buckhorns, or "mini-apes" as they are sometimes called, give the CB riding position a new look. Sort of "sit-up English gentleman", similar to a pre-war classic. Interesting.

Kyhiker, looking forward to meeting you at the rally. Camping? - sounds good to me.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Hope Kyhiker made it home ok. He left like 4 hours ago for an hour and a half trip home. Hope he checks in soon.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hope Kyhiker made it home ok. He left like 4 hours ago for an hour and a half trip home. Hope he checks in soon.
Ferret, you are starting to sound like my dear wife :). Give him a break!

Cheers
 
I can imagine those buckhorn bars being quite comfortable for a guy like me who likes to sit straight up. kyhiker's custom seat looks very comfortable as well for both rider and pillion.
 
Thread starter
The seat was a Corbin
 
Nice ride. Well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Steve sounds like a cool guy.
I like to sit up too which is why I only ride "standard" bikes.
Buckhorns on the CB are something I would never have though of.
Very interesting.
 
Nice report...sounded like fun. What kind of backrest was on his bike?
The rack looks like the Honda eom rack...but I can't make out the
bsckrest and how it is installed.
 
I just read the ride report, lunch and ride with the Ferret.
Great write up and pictures. Due to previous commitments for extended travel with wife in Italy, will not be able to come to rally in NC.

I was really looking forward to meeting the cb1100 guys and gals.
Hope the weather is good and that u'all have a great time, rock and roll.
:beerchug::beerchug: have one or two for me:biker:
 
Kyhiker, sorry not to be meeting you, but hope you and your wife have a fabulous time in Italy.
 
Back
Top