Luggage rack

gcarper_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Like many I wanted a rack for my CB but didn't really want to fork over $250 or so for one. This is a retro bike---where could I get a retro luggage rack? I'm sure everyone knows of a shop that works on old machines and they should have some old racks. Sure enough, I went to Sandy Run Cycles near Shelby NC, Rick works mainly on old Brit iron but has done Jap bikes as well. In his shed we found 4 old racks, 2 would fit so I took the better looking one. He threw in the sissy bar! So look around guys and gals, there are thousands of these out there in old shops, garages, etc.
 
gcarper_imp said:
Like many I wanted a rack for my CB but didn't really want to fork over $250 or so for one. This is a retro bike---where could I get a retro luggage rack? I'm sure everyone knows of a shop that works on old machines and they should have some old racks. Sure enough, I went to Sandy Run Cycles near Shelby NC, Rick works mainly on old Brit iron but has done Jap bikes as well. In his shed we found 4 old racks, 2 would fit so I took the better looking one. He threw in the sissy bar! So look around guys and gals, there are thousands of these out there in old shops, garages, etc.
Nice find !

Did it actually just bolt on, or was any extra welding/machining/drilling required ?
 
gcarper_imp said:
Like many I wanted a rack for my CB but didn't really want to fork over $250 or so for one. This is a retro bike---where could I get a retro luggage rack? I'm sure everyone knows of a shop that works on old machines and they should have some old racks. Sure enough, I went to Sandy Run Cycles near Shelby NC, Rick works mainly on old Brit iron but has done Jap bikes as well. In his shed we found 4 old racks, 2 would fit so I took the better looking one. He threw in the sissy bar! So look around guys and gals, there are thousands of these out there in old shops, garages, etc.
Nice trim on the gas tank gcarper.. nice touch..!
 
Mind taking a couple pics to show how its mounted? I have a couple old KG slider racks in the shed that might do the trick. Thanks in advance!
 
Thread starter
ljasonb_imp said:
Mind taking a couple pics to show how its mounted? I have a couple old KG slider racks in the shed that might do the trick. Thanks in advance!
I'll get back to you tomorrow [Sat] hadn't checked the forum for awhile.
Jim21680_imp said:
I'm amazed it fit so well...nice find. And what screen is that?
The screen is National Cycle Street Shield. does a good job.
 
Thread starter


pix of my luggage rack mounting. guess I better put some silver paint on that rust. my rack had mounting plates and I drilled couple of small holes in the passenger grab rail and bolted it down. tried not to but it bounced too much. notice I had to open up the slots some to fit.
 
Back
Top