Lube chain with chainsaw oil

mrded_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I know, it may sound weird, however, I know people doing that. And they found it very good.

What do you think?
 
I'd have to ask why? They formulate perfectly good lubes made specifically for motorcycle o ring chains in easy to apply aerosol cans for very reasonable prices. Most will only lube a chain a few times a year, even if they ride a lot.
 
Thread starter
My dad lives in Kazakhstan, travels a lot on his Africa Twin. it’s him who initial recommended it to me.

Over the time he found it as the most convenient way to lube a chain.

He always travels with 300mils bottle of chainsaw oil and a toothbrush. As he said, It would last him for about 20k miles.

I can ask him more, if you’re interested.
 
That's interesting. There was a forum member who used to carry a small bottle of some kind of lube (80 wt gear oil maybe?) and a small paint brush. If IRC he used to brush it on about every 300 miles,
 
FortNine's comparison video recommends gear oil. How different is that from chainsaw oil, I wonder?


 
I use bar oil to lube my chain. It is a lot 'stickier' than gear oil, and is designed to lube saw chains without flinging off everywhere.
I clean the chain on the center stand, rotate the wheel while I apply bar oil, then wipe off excess with a rag.
Works for me.
I buy bar oil in 20l drums, so I usually have some around!
 
Interesting point about the bar oil treedoc, i use gearoil 85w hypoid with a 50% petrol mix to wick it into the rollers better.
Reason for the gear oil is indeed the ability to stick to metal and i also wipe off any excess on the side of the chain.

Freely admit to not knowing bar oil properties would you say that it sticks more than the hypoid i use now?
If so i could be tempted to try it out at least, like to know your thoughts on that........
 
Honestly Max, I have no idea!
I am far from an oil expert, but my understanding is that bar oil has additives to make it tacky.
I mostly use it because I have a ready supply, and hold a generally vague and uninformed belief that its probably not much different from motorbike chain oil...
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful lol
 
Cheers Doc, the quantity you hold got my attention and combined with your username got me thinking, i will keep snooping around for some product, there are some magic lubricants out there, someone called "rawze" pulled his cummins diesel at 1 million miles and the liners still had most of the crosshatching in them, bearings and rings looked nearly new, apart from his excellent drive style he mentioned; i add a gallon of gearlube to the oil each oilchange..... i like the test with the nail in the jar at the end;

Probably not available in nz though, appreciate your comments mate, hoping for a little bit of sun soon, have fun.
 
"I'd have to ask why? They formulate perfectly good lubes made specifically for motorcycle o ring chains in easy to apply aerosol cans for very reasonable prices. Most will only lube a chain a few times a year, even if they ride a lot. "

I use the Honda brand rattle can lube with moly. Works great. I lube my chain with a light coat AFTER each ride when the chain is warm. My leftover just turned 6,000 miles and the chain has not needed any adjustment yet.
 
After every ride? Wow

This may be news, maybe not, but these are not 1960s chains anymore, but high tech chains, with lube sealed inside the rollers, and protected by modern orings between the links/plates. With today's lubes, what we are doing is preventing rust on the link outside of the plates and applying a small amount of cushion between teeth and sprocket. If you never rode in the rain, and rode 10k miles a year, you'd probably need to lube it once or twice a year and the chain would last about 4 years/40,000 miles, requiring adjustment when it received a new rear tire, and rarely in between.
 
I feel the same as Ferret , I hardly ever have to lube my chain , especially after putting the DID ZVM-X nickel plated chain on my bikes. Less lube means cleaner rear wheel .
 
Ah, no disrespect to anyone, buy why would you do this? I've been in the equipment business all my life and I just don't understand this. Chain lube is relatively inexpensive, and available. It could also be overnighted to anywhere in the world if a remote location does not have a motorcycle dealer/parts retailer.

I saw a guy that had a bicycle manufacturing plant in So. Cal, (long before all manufacturing was relocated offshore) He was too cheep to buy the correct oil for a piece of equipment vital to his production line. Lubricating oil for this machine was about $10 a quart at the time. He chose to use motor oil instead, because it was .79 Cents a quart and available at the corner auto parts store. Well the machine dieseled and exploded, went through the buildings roof, and landed on three parked cars in the employee parking lot. Luckily no one was injured. He contacted me after, and I had to explain to him about the flashpoint of lubricants. Motor oil has a very low flashpoint and can combust. The proper machine oil was formulated with a very high flashpoint to prevent combustion. All to save about $20. USE THE FACTORY RECOMMENDED PARTS AND MAINTENANCE PRODUCTS for best results.

And for motorcycles, do not use motor oil rated for Automotive use, motorcycles use oil that is common to the engine and transmission for most bikes, nor automotive coolant for water cooled bikes because it has SILICA SAND in it to scour and clean radiators and cooling jackets that will trash a water pump on a bike.

Please be careful, and be safe. Maintaining your bike properly literally has your life depending on it......
 
I know what you are saying and yes, I use Mobil 1 Synthetic motorcycle oil for the ENGINE but well documented tests have shown that 80/90 gear oil is just as good to prevent the sides of the chain from rusting. The O/X rings will keep the lubricant inside and if they do not than it is time to change the chain . (and I always buy the best chain available for my bikes )
 
Houtman has a point and as long as the bar oil or whatever has nothing in it that will eat away the orings, it really can't hurt the chain as long as it prevents the rust.
 
Very much enjoy discussions like this, several things that are mentioned are worth having a look at, we all take away something of value here whilst rolling around idea's and experiences, good stuff guys, thanks.
 
Back
Top