Low Fuel warning question?

Rollie Bruner_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Rode my new to me 14 Deluxe about 80 miles today. I absolutely love this bike! (2012 Harley Road King now for sale! ) Is there a low fuel warning light ? How much fuel is in the tank when warning comes on?
 
It will get down to 1 bar (you can go a long way on that bar), then that bar will start flashing, shortly after it will start counting down miles to empty. Maybe .8 to 1 gal once it starts flashing I think.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
It will get down to 1 bar (you can go a long way on that bar), then that bar will start flashing, shortly after it will start counting down miles to empty. Maybe .8 to 1 gal once it starts flashing I think.
Thanks for the info! Counting down miles to empty is great ! Didn't get owners Manual so I'm kinda in the dark. Do you know what number it starts counting miles to empty? Or does it start at a certain fuel level and calculation is based on recent driving-riding data?
 
My experience is that it starts at 50 miles and counts down from there. You may see it jump back up or hold at a certain number for a while if you're driving easy verses hitting the all the gears and going freeway speeds.
 
Thread starter
stateboy_imp said:
My experience is that it starts at 50 miles and counts down from there. You may see it jump back up or hold at a certain number for a while if you're driving easy verses hitting the all the gears and going freeway speeds.
Thanks!
 
I have heard somewhere that all calculations are based on the last 1/4 mile driving habits but don't know if that is true. I would assume the calculations are based on fuel injected over some period of time. You can get the number to go up... I've thought before if I got down to a steady 5 miles per hour I could keep going forever lol
 
Check under seat for manual. Not in tool box but storage area in the recesses area of seat.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have heard somewhere that all calculations are based on the last 1/4 mile driving habits but don't know if that is true. I would assume the calculations are based on fuel injected over some period of time. You can get the number to go up... I've thought before if I got down to a steady 5 miles per hour I could keep going forever lol
Ferret, you have not retired long enough to drive 5mph. By my calculations it would have taken you 55years to drive your 100,975 miles! :angel:
 
Rollie, if the owners manual is not under the seat (on the bottom of the seat pan, you can order one. I would highly suggest that you do. Maybe the dealer will do it for free (Yeah, right! Ya never know though).
 
If they are not under the seat, ask the dealer for them.
There should one in English and one in French.
If they are not there, they fell out when the service guys were prepping the bike.
Or the manager forgot to hand them to you after all the paperwork was done.

I put mine in a Ziploc bag, but it fell out every time I removed the seat.
Now it is in the tool kit pocket.
A lot of room because there is next to nothing in the tool kit.
 
Rollie Bruner_imp said:
Rode my new to me 14 Deluxe about 80 miles today. I absolutely love this bike! (2012 Harley Road King now for sale! ) Is there a low fuel warning light ? How much fuel is in the tank when warning comes on?
These are NOT my notes, all THANKS and CREDITS go to Nortoon!!!. I just forwarded it.

"The Owners Manual is a little cryptic. But on page 23 it appears to say that when the last bar on the fuel gauge is flashing, if you push the right dash button once the available driving distance will be displayed. If you push the button again, the remaining amount of fuel will be displayed.
Unfortunately it has been my experience that the digital dash information is seldom readable. Something like trying to use a cell phone in the sun. So I would not take my eyes of the road long enough while driving to be able to read the information.
Apparently the information is available even before the gas gauge flashes. But I believe you have to do a lot of button pushing to get past the Trip A and B information to read it. If it still displayed while stopped, I might make note of it at a gas stop."

Hope this helps
Peter
 
Hi, I was having the same question and today refilled when it was on one bar (mine is a 2011 model with the slightly smaller tank).

I refilled 9.6 litres after 156km (about 5.5 litres per 100km) so I suspect I still had about 4-5 litres in the tank.

I was worried my fuel consumption was stupid high but seems that the fuel gauge isn't all that accurate.

My old VT750 with a 12 litre tank would easily go 230-250 kms on a tank (still with a couple litres left) so I expected MUCH more range from the CB1100 with a 15 litre tank.
 
Fuel consumption varies a bit. I find it much higher around town. On a country run, I would not want to get to 240 kms without refuelling.
 
Thread starter
Ordered a owners manual and it arrived last Wednesday . I think I have the instrument panel and how to pull up various reading figured out. Thanks for all your replies, very helpful. The fuel guage on my 2014 Deluxe seems to be very accurate. Ran my fuel down into reserve intentionally to make sure the fuel was fresh. With 2760 miles it obviously had Ben setting quit a bit. Fuel guage said I had .5 gal remaining and it held 3.9 gal
 
Quote:"My experience is that it starts at 50 miles and counts down from there"
I have the '14 CB standard, this is my experience (and I think the goal per the owner's manual) but I've found it to be pretty conservative. I think I could probably get 80 out of it when I get that message, if not more, although it depends on the driving. I end up filling up a lot and usually with a 1/3rd of a tank left! Better safe than sorry when you use it commute.
 
Back
Top