Low Beam out

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well nuts. I've had headlight bulbs last 10 years. Just went out to start the CB in the garage, fired it up and noticed there wasn't a light shining on my work bench.Walked around front. Darkness. Flipped high beam switch and high beam came on. So low beam is out. Good thing I leave for the rally NEXT Monday and not this morning.

Guess I will ride up to the shop tomorrow and hope they have a bulb in stock.
 
Thread starter
Been a few years since I changed out a h/l bulb so I went to Randy B's excellent pic/tute in the how to section for a look see. Looked simple enough.

Changing the headlight bulb

Instead of waiting for dealer to open tomorrow I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Nice parts lady walked me back to bulb section and handed me a stock H4 replacement bulb. $10.66 with tax. Took it home and it took maybe 5 mins to change it out.

Both eyes are working again! Yahoo

Thanks Randy for the tute.
 
Good job. Curious how much an official Honda replacement bulb would cost, assuming it even had a part number. I like your solution mo betta.

My VW Passat went through taillight bulbs faster than a fat man chasing the ice cream truck.
 
In the parts listing it says Stanley
 
Thread starter
Actually the one that came out of mine was a Phillips. The replacement was an Eiko or something like that
 
The ferret_imp said:
Actually the one that came out of mine was a Phillips. The replacement was an Eiko or something like that
Yup...those are the cheapies that we sell. They work well enough, but I went for the ZXe's.
The ferret_imp said:
Been a few years since I changed out a h/l bulb so I went to Randy B's excellent pic/tute in the how to section for a look see. Looked simple enough.

Changing the headlight bulb

Instead of waiting for dealer to open tomorrow I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Nice parts lady walked me back to bulb section and handed me a stock H4 replacement bulb. $10.66 with tax. Took it home and it took maybe 5 mins to change it out.

Both eyes are working again! Yahoo

Thanks Randy for the tute.
NP. :D
 
Pterodactyl blew his low beam on the ride and we bought a replacement in a service station in the middle of nowhere. Standard car bulb, I think.
 
I know that there are different grades of bulbs for bikes and cars. I compared a Phillips car bulb and a Phillips bike bulb and the bike bulb had a visibly heavier filament.
 
Bikes are subject to more vibration, so the filament has to be sturdier. Something light an ordinary household bulb, and heavy duty bulb for a ceiling fan.
 
Back
Top