Looks like the speed limiter is still on the '14.

GoldOxide_imp said:
I believe the limit is mostly non-technical and more for consumer safety. It would be interesting to learn if German released CBs has the same impediment.

I have ridden other imported bikes (actually via the U.S. market) that had the 180 km/h limit and they were liquid cooled. In all cases, getting to 200 takes too much effort. One has to literally punch through 180 downhill. It is not sustainable at all and the computer fights you quite noticeably.

At limit, speed wobble, uncomfortable vibrations and similar have not been detected. The CB appears solid, and I believe it could do more. Most are happy with the limitation. Besides, the trade-off is a strong, confident, and rev-less pull-off from stop. For an inline-4, I value that.

While other bikes sit and rev at the red light to maintain a pulse, or other wild cats to anticipate "take-off", I just release and go. Never disappoints.
Yes, afaik this limit of 180 km/h comes from Japan traffic regulation and they just don't put it off for the export models.

However, my CB1100A '13 made 190 km/h on the tach without any problems and very easily. That was exactly 180 km/h on the GPS device, so the tach is 10 km/h fast at that point.

The newer models of the CB1100 here in Europe have the same limitations, I was told.
Btw., my CBF1000F has a speed limit at 235 km/h, which is about 245 km/h at the speedo while 235 km/h at the GPS.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Love my '14 CB the way it is, with or without limiter..
:)
So did I. I never did mind about the speed limiter, just tried it out 2 or 3 times. No other reason to go that fast at a naked roadster like the CB.

The CB said: you are not a gentleman, if you do that to me, but I can handle that speed well.
 
The ferret_imp said:
6 years and 51,000 miles on 2 CB's and I have still not seen the ton .... or 6,000 rpms for that matter. When I was 30 years old, I would have seen the ton and redline the first week lol. No longer interested.

Btw I did see the ton (indicated) on my ST at my wife's request in Montana one year, on a tour of the north west, but not redline, and I've seen neither on my FJR in 9000 miles and unlikely to in it's lifetime. We shall see. I've found 85 to be plenty fast for me these days.
Agreed. I seldom hit 6000 unless getting out of a potentially dangerous situation. The CB does it without complaint.

Speaking of passengers, this past summer casually cruised 170 km/h with the spouse on the back. The CB was very smooth (as well as the asphalt). I think she even dozed a bit (was a very lazy humid start in full-face and jacket).
 
Hm. The artificial limit on the CB is 115 which it will reach with zero complaints. That means it's probably basically equal with the t100 under normal circumstances, but I would place a bet that it reaches 115 much faster than the t100
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Hm. The artificial limit on the CB is 115 which it will reach with zero complaints. That means it's probably basically equal with the t100 under normal circumstances, but I would place a bet that it reaches 115 much faster than the t100
It's the principle of the thing. I don't like the idea of a limiter. How dare they!

I'm going to keep both bikes for a while and ride them, but eventually I will sell one and get down to one bike. The limiter on the CB 1100 is a big minus in my evaluation. However the Triumph has a big minus in that it has a service light that comes on at service intervals that can't be easily turned off, thus coercing you to go to a dealership for service instead of DYI. So that's a wash.
 
Florida Man_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Hm. The artificial limit on the CB is 115 which it will reach with zero complaints. That means it's probably basically equal with the t100 under normal circumstances, but I would place a bet that it reaches 115 much faster than the t100
It's the principle of the thing. I don't like the idea of a limiter. How dare they!

I'm going to keep both bikes for a while and ride them, but eventually I will sell one and get down to one bike. The limiter on the CB 1100 is a big minus in my evaluation. However the Triumph has a big minus in that it has a service light that comes on at service intervals that can't be easily turned off, thus coercing you to go to a dealership for service instead of DYI. So that's a wash.
Why wouldn't you just buy the Dealer Tool for the Triumph if you don't like the service light coming on?

DealerTool

It is reasonably priced and it took very little time to receive it from England when I bought it for my 2022 T120. Very useful for bleeding the ABS brakes, too.
 
You can also get the Heal tech device and reset the wrench icon and reset the mileage to what you want for oil service intervals.
 
A lot of modern motorcycles are electronically speed limited and have been since model year 2000

This bike does everything so well, is so much fun to ride, smooth, power is right where you need it for everyday riding, handles well, brakes well, such a pleasure to ride.
 
You're right, Ferret! The CB is a joy to ride wether speedcutted or not. Even and especially at commode cruising speeds far below 180km/h.
 
limited or unlimited wouldn't make much of a difference on how they ride, to the vast majority of riders that would own this bike... heck most riders hardly ride them (or any other motorcycle) as it is
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I'd like to find out how the CB handles at 110 or so. My DL1000 started geting a nasty headshake around 100. The Interceptor was just hitting its stride. I reckon the CB would be stable and smooth, but it'd be a cuss to hold on. Maybe not with one of those nifty Comet fairings...
I never got my Interceptor past 85. It felt squirrely to me at that speed. My T100 on the other hand was solid at 100. I've had the CB up to 80 on the Interstate but just the idea that I was riding on 10 year old tires gave me a bad feeling. I'm looking forward to getting new tires. Maybe I'll see if I can get up to that limiter without chickening out after I've put a couple of hundred miles on them.
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Hm. The artificial limit on the CB is 115 which it will reach with zero complaints. That means it's probably basically equal with the t100 under normal circumstances, but I would place a bet that it reaches 115 much faster than the t100
I think the T100 would give the CB a good run for it's money. At least at speeds up to about 70. It has lots of low end torque. And it's 40 lbs lighter. Although it feels 80 lbs lighter to me.
 
It's been a year since I've ridden my 2013 CB1100 Standard, but it was very comfortable at 80-85 in freeway traffic. It has plenty of grunt at that speed and is very stable and it has great brakes and I found it very stable in fast slow-downs from high speeds. My '09 K1300GS was light-years faster, handled great and was very comfortable at extremely high speeds, due to a huge amount of tupperware which was a bear to get off to do the slightest maintenance. I still have the CB and the BMW is long gone. The BMW was too needy. It just depends on what you expect and what you can live with.
 
I haven't really thought about a speed limiter on my bikes. But, then I don't have any open highways around me where it would be prudent or reasonable to go any faster than the 80-85 of our prevailing traffic at it's best. And all three of my bikes are capable of those speeds, which is all that really matters to me.

But, I do have my own personal Hot Wheels track on my commute, a single lane flyover carpool bridge that runs for about a mile or so over a spaghetti-bowl interchange. It's hardly used, and it's fun to let the speedo tickle triple-digits from time to time. The CB1100 is rock solid, but the wind blast with my little Dart flyscreen tells me that I wouldn't want to maintain that pace for long. My Bonneville can hit a ton no problem as well, but I haven't subjected the Enfield's 48hp twin to that torture.

There was mention a few pages and years back on this thread about the old national mandated 85 mph speedometers. Here's a nerdy fun fact... when they made Back to the Future, the DeLorean had an 85 mph speedo, being an early 80s car. Of course, in the movie, the car has to pass 88 mph to travel through time. A cardboard speedometer face reading to 95 mph was placed over the factory speedo so that on camera, the needle could go past 88. To this day, if you look closely enough at the car's speedo, you can see that a corner of the cardboard overlay is peeling back a bit.
 
m in sc_imp said:
its better w the dart off. ask how i know. ;)
... if I wanted to sit at triple-digits, maybe. But, at freeway speeds, it's fine and might keep a few bugs off of my jacket.
 
Back
Top