Looking to buy...Two current possiblities?

Henry McCann_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
I have found two CB1100s on online. I am very intrigued from pictures and reviews. I have a 2006 ST1300. It's a great bike, but I love a bike you can see through and the CB1100 would allow me to still take my wife.

1. 2013 with 3600 miles in excellent unmolested condition. $5000

2. 2014 DLX with 9600 miles. Added luggage rack, Hondaline top box and Dart flyscreen. It too looks excellent $8500.

All this is from pictures as the 2013 is 6 hours from me and the 2014 is 9 hours away.
I have read on line reviews but I haven't talked to anyone personally that has owned a CB1100 hence this post.

Is the DLX version worth $3000 more than the standard. Do the three accessories add a great deal more to the value?

Thank you for your time!
 
Welcome to the Forum Henry.

The DLX is almost coveted. If I bought a [2014] CB1100 again, and if I could get one in Canada, I would consider a DLX.

The drive train and lump are the same for all offerings in 2014. Of course, the 2014 offers an extra gear over the 2013.
 
Welcome Henry.

DLX has a number of features over the ‘13. Dual exhausts, ABS, gear shift indicator and as GO mentioned, a 6 speed transmission. There are more.

I think Ferret has posted a list of all the differences somewhere. Yeah, here it is: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5430
 
DLX carries more fuel, has a patterned seat, chrome bars ends, silver motor and wheels, polished triple tree, polished brake reservoir covers, 1/2" taller bars, different switches, chromed double walled waterfall header pipes, color matched side covers, different instruments, runs at lower rpms on the freeway (due to 6th gear), is more exclusive due to fact only about 400 were made.
 
The ferret_imp said:
DLX carries more fuel, has a patterned seat, chrome bars ends, silver motor and wheels, polished triple tree, polished brake reservoir covers, 1/2" taller bars, different switches, chromed double walled waterfall header pipes, color matched side covers, different instruments, runs at lower rpms on the freeway (due to 6th gear), is more exclusive due to fact only about 400 were made.
"chromed double walled waterfall header pipes"
^^ this...

If you like the look of shiny headers (I do), then pay the extra $3k and be done with it. I'm cleaning my non-double-walled headers a couple times a year. While not an entirely horrible job to do, it's not fun. I'd have bought the deluxe, if it was available in Canada.
 
I have owned all 3, but now I ride the 2017EX and the 2014 DLX. I am very biased for the DLX. I spent 2 years trying to find a good one, and bought one that sat for 6 years under a tarp, and now I am trying to restore it to its natural Beauty. I lean towards the 4 into 2 EX and DLX, and think the DLX is worth the extra money based on looks. If the EX had the same wheels as the DLX, then I would call it #1 because the Beautiful gas tank. But between the 2013 and the DLX, go for the DLX. It is probably what most Forum members would do, especially if the extra 3k is not an issue. When I am thru with mine, it will add up to over $9000, but it had only 201 miles on it, now about 350 since I am not riding it until I am thru. Then it will look brand new, and new, the DLX was probably close to $11,000.
 
The CB1100 in general has a short seat to peg ratio for both rider and pillion. If either you are your wife have long legs I would be wary of any model. I am six foot but only have a 29" inseam so it is no problem for me at all, if you are long legged try and at least sit on it before purchasing. I know this will have people posting "I have a 34" inseam and I don't have a problem" but these dimensions are factual and don't suit everybody, especially older riders with less than supple joints.

Cycle-Ergo.com will tell you your hips and knees will be more bent on the CB1100 compared to the ST. I think this is an important thing to mention to prospective owners, I am not intentionally trying to be negative here. Just for illustration, a Kawasaki W800 has more comfortable knee and hip angle ergos than the CB.

Like most owners I have received a lot of attention on this bike when out and about, it is part of the charm of ownership and if people express an interest in finding one I invite them to sit on mine first. This has only happened twice, one guy didn't see a problem and the other did.
 
The ferret_imp said:
DLX carries more fuel, has a patterned seat, chrome bars ends, silver motor and wheels, polished triple tree, polished brake reservoir covers, 1/2" taller bars, different switches, chromed double walled waterfall header pipes, color matched side covers, different instruments, runs at lower rpms on the freeway (due to 6th gear), is more exclusive due to fact only about 400 were made.
I currently own a 2014 STD and 2014 DLX. The DLX is prettier for sure. But it weighs around 25 pounds more and when putting it on the center stand or moving it around the garage this old man can tell the difference. I also owned a 2013 CB1100 for about 9K miles and will tell you that I sure like having that 6th gear that both 2014 models provide. And the gear indicator on the 2014 models is nice too.

I put about 5K miles on a 2005 ST1300 and the CB1100 will feel like a toy compared to it. I mean that in a good way. It's so much easier to maneuver. That ST1300 wore me out in the twisties. But it sure was nice on the freeway.
 
I have a 2013 and have put about 26K miles on it. For me the one thing the DLX has over the 2013 is the increased tank capacity (about a gallon). Depending on where you live in Montana that could really help cut down your stops at gas stations to tank up.

Looks are subjective. I think the 2013 tank looks MUCH sleeker but would upgrade in a minute for a 14 tank and it’s increased capacity. I like the sportier appearance of the 2013 header. I did ‘upgrade’ to the red side covers with retro badging via a purchase from a member on this site.

I don’t miss the 6th gear at all and depending on how much your wife rides with you it may not be very beneficial in a good Montana head wind.

I’m a fan of the Dart screens and had one on my bike. They look good, are exceedingly well made and function well.

I for one wouldn’t pay the extra cash. That’s based on my personal preferences, not because of any shortcomings of the 2014. It’s a fine bike. I do have it on good authority that when 2014 DLX owners dream about riding.... many see themselves on a 2013. I guess the retro sporty look will always be cool

Currently With Road Comet

9a0dc7543d136db91748e3176e829d77.jpg
[/img]

With Dart Fly screen and silver side covers some years back

f0315b5647522a5489f45296854031c2.jpg
[/img]
 
Henry McCann_imp said:
I have found two CB1100s on online. I am very intrigued from pictures and reviews. I have a 2006 ST1300. It's a great bike, but I love a bike you can see through and the CB1100 would allow me to still take my wife.

1. 2013 with 3600 miles in excellent unmolested condition. $5000

2. 2014 DLX with 9600 miles. Added luggage rack, Hondaline top box and Dart flyscreen. It too looks excellent $8500.

All this is from pictures as the 2013 is 6 hours from me and the 2014 is 9 hours away.
I have read on line reviews but I haven't talked to anyone personally that has owned a CB1100 hence this post.

Is the DLX version worth $3000 more than the standard. Do the three accessories add a great deal more to the value?

Thank you for your time!
The 2014 CB1100 Deluxe is worth the extra $3000 grand in my humble biased opinion. Its not the accessories. Its the bigger gas tank, 6 speed transmission, dual pipes. Mine has 52K on it now and I will tell you there is no way I could travel on a non-Deluxe ... I am spoiled. Really depends on what you want it for I supposed. Good luck :)
 
Thread starter
Thank you for the well reasoned and thoughtful posts for the selection of either bike, with the majority favoring the DLX, even with the $3500 difference in selling price. This is exactly the kind of experience and knowledge I was looking for. I really wish there was a CB1100 close enough to sit on and ride.

Frulk, I laughed at the mention of a "good Montana head wind" as it seems that 80% of my riding here in Montana can be described like that. I also love the ST1300 on the freeways, and the weight on those crazy windy days, but much of my/our riding is exploring two lanes in places we've never seen here in MT. Easier maneuverability sounds great.

Lord Popgun thanks for the link to the list of differences in a post by Ferret. Lays it all out. Tev62 I have a 31" inseam and my wife is 5' 5" so the ergos should be fine, but you never know for sure until you actually sit on the bike.

Again thank you for taking the time to post!
 
My old stomping ground (well, more like crawling ground). I was born in Conrad.

I have the standard '13 & '14. Tend to ride the '14 more because of the switch gear and 6th gear. At this point I'll probably sell the '13 - even though it's red and prettier than the '14. :D
 
Those CBs on KSL--they're all 2013 models. Which is fine, if that's what you're looking for. Some pretty decent deals, there. The one 2017--what the what? It's definitely not from bone-dry Utah. The chain is rusted and everything is corroded--almost like it was owned by someone in Orlando who left it parked outside for three years. Anyway, look for the standard 2014 model as well (they're black). You get the larger tank and six gears, but not ABS. It has a 4 into 1 exhaust, which some people like and others don't. They're easier to find and less expensive than the deluxe model.
 
Roper_imp said:
Those CBs on KSL--they're all 2013 models. Which is fine, if that's what you're looking for. Some pretty decent deals, there. The one 2017--what the what? It's definitely not from bone-dry Utah. The chain is rusted and everything is corroded--almost like it was owned by someone in Orlando who left it parked outside for three years. Anyway, look for the standard 2014 model as well (they're black). You get the larger tank and six gears, but not ABS. It has a 4 into 1 exhaust, which some people like and others don't. They're easier to find and less expensive than the deluxe model.
Not so on the larger tank, 2014 standard has the smaller 3.9 gallon version. All the rest you say is true though.

I wish mine did have the extra gas capacity, the low fuel light usually starts flashing at around 120 miles on mine, depending on how I'm riding of course.

I'm thinking of investing in a tank upgrade in the near future. :thumbsup:
 
offer $4k for the 2013 and spend the extra dough on accessories. I dig my 2013. Don't miss the 6th gear. Never had it but don't miss it. Get the corbin seat and you're still way ahead of the game. If you're not on a budget like me, this advice will mean less.
 
JD2ride_imp said:
Roper_imp said:
Those CBs on KSL--they're all 2013 models. Which is fine, if that's what you're looking for. Some pretty decent deals, there. The one 2017--what the what? It's definitely not from bone-dry Utah. The chain is rusted and everything is corroded--almost like it was owned by someone in Orlando who left it parked outside for three years. Anyway, look for the standard 2014 model as well (they're black). You get the larger tank and six gears, but not ABS. It has a 4 into 1 exhaust, which some people like and others don't. They're easier to find and less expensive than the deluxe model.
Not so on the larger tank, 2014 standard has the smaller 3.9 gallon version. All the rest you say is true though.

I wish mine did have the extra gas capacity, the low fuel light usually starts flashing at around 120 miles on mine, depending on how I'm riding of course.

I'm thinking of investing in a tank upgrade in the near future. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the clarification, JD2ride.
 
Back
Top