looking at an 013 .... again

el duque_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi All,

I joined up awhile ago hot on the trail for a cb 1100.

Don't know what happened....since.

Well, I kinda had the hots for a bonneville, but all the hipsters here seem to like them used. I've waffled/hesitated and lost out on a few good ones. But bonnevilles abound. They are everywhere here.

so now I might have an opp. to buy a 013 with abs. 8k miles.

Anything I need to know?
Its in the $5k range. It has a few extras like a rack and windshiels. Seems like a good deal but I'd have to buy sight unseen (yeah I know)and have it shipped. There are pics and I am in conversation with the owner but still... I've seen a few here on CL but most don't have abs. My next non-vintage bike will have abs.

It is my understanding that an 013 with abs is kinda rare. Would that have been a dlx model in 2013?

I plan to put bags on it and take a few longish rides (10days). This is my pre-retirement bike. I have 3 vintage Gwings. 2 are saying bye bye.

Thanks for the input!
 
13 ABS's are kinda rare, in that they sold more without the ABS. ABS carried a $1000 premium IIRC on an already pretty expensive bike. The DLX (with ABS standard) didn't come out until 14.

price sounds fair to me. Mileage is low.

btw make sure it's a real ABS model with sensor rings on front and rear wheel, and not just on the rear. Many buyers were told their bikes had ABS (rear only) but that was false.
 
Thread starter
Thanks

I did read about the front and rear wheel abs sensors somewhere. good to know.

my only issue...
is there anything I could do/ask for to protect my hard earned $$ as it is being transferred across state lines?

I have to wait for a title and the bike to be shipped. Excruciating!
I do get a fairly good feeling about the seller, but we have yet to get down to it. I just emailed with my offer. He has not responded yet.

I am guessing these kind of transactions are common and a fraud is rare....or is it just wishful thinkin - cause I want a new bike?

I've asked for a photo of the title - so I'd at least know where he lives.:idea:
 
I have never bought a bike that I didn't walk up and physically look at so I can't answer those questions, but i know it is done all the time.
 
I bought a used VRF800 sight-unseen from a dealer in Wisconsin, and paid about $600 to have it shipped to me in California. Everything was as-described. No surprises. Great bike.

That being said, for a used '13 model in the $5K range, I'd have to want ABS awfully badly to buy that bike over a brand new, zero-miles '14 Standard with a full warranty and brand-new everything for roughly the same price.
 
I've bought and sold several (4-5) bikes on-line, without ever having met the other party or seeing the bike. It's a judgement call. I never had an issue with any transaction but if you're uneasy, perhaps reconsider and walk away. The shipping part is easy. I can recommend a shipping company once you're ready. If the deal isn't going through eBay, consider asking the seller to post the bike on eBay (buy it now) so you get their financial protection to protect against fraud. In this case, the seller will pay listing fees and commissions to eBay, so it may be something he'll want to negotiate with you beforehand. Otherwise, there are some third-party escrow arrangements that will hold your payment and not release it to the seller until all obligations are met and you are satisfied.
 
Thread starter
VLJ,

There is an 014 on CL here with some tasty mods for about the same $ and 6k less miles, but I do want the abs - one part of the equation.

That said, If I could find an 017 for 10k out the door basically 4k more I might change my mind.

I doubt it though.

The only thing is the depreciation / resale on a new one. huge hit up front out the gate...am I right? Been there done that.

The new bonneville T120 is $12ish msrp. My sense with one dealer I talked with - not much bargaining room. I've seen 016's for 9200-9500. These seem to more sought after, but they ain't flyin off the shelf. So many bikes - not enough riders.

I read your magical mystery tour report. Good call on the UJM. I'm get that. I grew up in so. cal too!

I've only seen a handful of cb's on the road since they came out. Triumphs have a larger presence here.

I get the new bike / warranty and all but these things don't fail right?

I see a few cb 1100 on CL - but they tend to linger for awhile.

Even though I plan on keeping it...you never know. So if in a couple years it happens, I could still maybe sell it for $4ish.

I've used it, kept it clean, maintained it, got my monies worth.

that's my logic anyway.
 
If you simply must have ABS, then an ABS model it must be.

There is no way I'd choose a '13 over a '14 or '17, however, for one huge reason: six speeds, vs five. The '14 received the new six-speed tranny, which would be the first deal-breaker for me, regarding the '13.

Otherwise, yes, there are many more Bonnevilles than CB1100s tooling around these parts. I'm sure it's not just Seattle or NorCal, either. I'm guessing Triumph has sold at least ten Bonnevilles for every 2013-or-newer CB1100 Honda has sold during those same model years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio was more like thirty-to-one.

As for the T120 model years, the '16 has a well-known problem with squealing brakes and condensation in the instruments. The '17 model fixed the squealing brakes issue, but I haven't read anything about a fix for the condensation issue, which is sure to crop up in cool, wet Seattle.
 
el duque, there are few people around here that appreciate the 2013 CB1100 more than myself (well, maybe no one here more than me, lol). However, if you look back at my posts through the years, my reason for the love of the 2013 model is based primarily on the bike's aesthetics which I prefer over all the other variation that Honda has released since then. One reason that I can get away with this pretty easily is that I have no intention of taking 10-day road trips on my CB. Well certainly not if they involve a lot of interstate riding that is. I just prefer shorter rides on the local backroads so my "old CB" works great for my needs.

You sound much more open-minded than myself when it comes to the looks of the CB1100, so in your case, given your intentions I might be inclined to agree with VLJ. I would think that it would be worth your time to look for a used 2014 DLX, a used 2017 EX (there will likely be some popping up for sale here in the next year), or a deal on a new 2017 EX still sitting on a showroom floor somewhere. You'll wind up with ABS in any of these scenarios along with the sixth gear that's nice to have if you do a lot of highway riding.

That said, there are plenty of guys here that log a lot of miles on their 5-speed CB1100s including Empty Sea who I'm guessing will have some useful feedback for you. He actually traded his 2013 CB1100 for another 2013 CB1100 (the second example featuring ABS).

Even though most all of us here all like CB1100s, that doesn't mean that we all like exactly the same things about them. Figuring out what your true priorities are will help you determine the best approach to take. I wish you luck in finding a CB1100 to call your own.
 
Guth Wrote:Even though most all of us here all like CB1100s, that doesn't mean that we all like exactly the same things about them.
I never realized just how true this was, until I spent some time here.

Well stated, Guth.
 
Just two comments, neither of which may be useful to you:

1. It's a good deal if YOU think it's a good deal. I happen to agree with you that it seems like a good deal, but my opinion should be largely irrelevant as is comparing the cost of a 2013abs to any other CB1100 version--none are the same as that bike. The 2014 std would be the closest, but it doesn't have ABS. You may as well be comparing the 2013abs to a Bonneville.

2. The only difference between the 2013s with ABS and those without is that the former has a better braking system. My new 2013abs is virtually indistinguishable from my old, non-ABS, one in looks, feel, handling, and gas mileage. I just wish I had Michelin PR3s on this one, which could happen by about June.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Guth for the nice comments on the 2013abs!

I hear ya V, 6th gear had crossed my mind. I still want abs. I'd buy an 014 dlx with a 6th gear for the same $ if I could find one. I might have to take another look on Cycle trader/ebay. I'd kinda like to keep the # as low as possible.
The dealer near here has a 017 listed at $9999. But they'll want to tack on fee after fee. I think they want it gone. I rather like the 4 into 1 exhaust better tho. $10k cash would / might be fair?

I did hear about the brake squeal and speedo issues on the T120 -

The reality is I'm planning a 10 day trip for August, but most of my riding is like Guth's - in and around the back roads of PNW. I hate the interstate. Slow mosey is fine for me. I'm 66! I realize if you don't go fast these days you might get run over or shot - so be it. Whether I like going far and wide and do more I will have to wait and see.

I have an 83 Gwing interstate - it has 5 gears. Its fine. They did make the gearing a little taller for that year so might be the difference. I'd ride it but its not as reliable as i'd feel comfortable with going alone. That and its waaaay heavier than it used to be.

Back to the 013 ABS. So it has 8k miles. The seller did mention he's "ocd" about his bikes and has changed the oil a few times.
Who know's he might even be a member here.
The thing he hasn't mentioned and I didn't ask - the condition of the tires. Its got 8k so I guessing the tires on it are orig.
he bought it with 3500 on it.
What is a new set of tires gonna cost me? ballpark. I can change them, but i don't want to :)!
I'd like to include that in my "out the door" price. At the moment I want to be @ $6000 when I'm done. I have to pay shipping, 10% sales tax, license, transfer title, tabs, tires. Insurance will be later (I'll check back on that).

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I appreciate it !
 
I'd figure $350 for tires depending on brand/size and $120 for mounting on the bike.$60 if you take in the wheels.
 
I paid $6999 for a new 2014 in Oct. All that was added was sales tax and registration. There are still 2014s on Autotrader for that price. Good luck on your new bike. I owned a 350 four when I lived in olympia in 72-74. Good riding and fishing country back in the day.
 
el duque, if your primary riding enjoyment comes from enjoying the backroads of the PNW like me then I'd be much more inclined to recommend the 2013 ABS. As a bonus, it will be the lightest CB1100 featuring ABS that you will swing a leg over, lol. 2014 DLX's have held their value better than the standards, but every CB1100 ends up taking a hit over time. I don't know if you noticed but a few months back there was a '14 DLX listed in your area that was up on craigslist for a number of weeks. That listing was no longer up the last time I checked so maybe it sold, but I think they wanted over $8K for it so they might also just be waiting to post it up again this spring. These bikes appeal to a very limited set of folks and I think that works to your advantage. You could always walk in to the dealer with the 2017 EX and offer them $10K in cash, take it or leave it. The worst think that could happen is they say no. I don't think your offer for the 2013 ABS is unreasonable. I just bought a fresh set of Metzeler Z8 Interact radials in the stock sizes for my CB and they cost me just over $270 delivered from Revzilla. Good luck!
 
For what it's worth, I've purchased bikes through Ebay and Cycle Trader with no problem. If you have any concerns, you can ask the seller to have a local Honda dealer look it over and report to you on condition and any issues, the cost of which (if any) can be split if a sale ensues. You can also get a sense for the tires from them, and maybe have a new set thrown into the deal.
 
Thread starter
W/R, I just looked at those.. I will ponder.

Labrador. did you get ABS? I've seen that# at one dealer here. I'm not against them, I just prefer a private sale.

Guth, I hear ya on the depreciation hit. I kinda noticed these bikes don't get the love they deserve in the used market. Resale is a concern. Triumphs generally don't have that problem. Not that I'm looking to make $, I just want to be able to sell the bike easily when the time comes without taking too big a hit. I probably missed that CL ad you are referring to...my mind has been focused on Bonnevilles. If you see another one :thanks: in advance. Quote:"These bikes appeal to a very limited set of folks and I think that works to your advantage". When buying I suppose, when selling not sure.

Update on the bike in question. So this is the 5th go-round trying to buy a bike. The first guy left out the fact that he didnt know what the real mileage was. It was so low it had to be wrong. I had to ask.
The second one ... I said I was interested, offered a depost, they said it wasn't needed - "I'll hold it for you" NOT.
3rd guy tried to tell me something was ok with the bike when I knew it was not.
4th guy put the $price and OBO in the ad - I made a resonable offer, he told me the price was firm. wtf? This last guy emails me back and forth 4 times doesn't mention his name and in the last post tells me the mlleage is 12k not 8k like he thought. Innocent oversight - probably, bad form most definitely. That don't cut it.

Its not that hard people! I'm either going to get all the info correct from the get go, deal with a clear, straightforward, interested, honest seller etc. or I'm not buying the bike. I don't care how good a deal it is. Call me picky (not always) ocd (:)), or whatever...not gonna do it.

If it isn't 100% to me / seller_ I'm not doin it.
 
el duque_imp said:
W/R, I just looked at those.. I will ponder.

Labrador. did you get ABS? I've seen that# at one dealer here. I'm not against them, I just prefer a private sale.

Guth, I hear ya on the depreciation hit. I kinda noticed these bikes don't get the love they deserve in the used market. Resale is a concern. Triumphs generally don't have that problem. Not that I'm looking to make $, I just want to be able to sell the bike easily when the time comes without taking too big a hit. I probably missed that CL ad you are referring to...my mind has been focused on Bonnevilles. If you see another one :thanks: in advance. Quote:"These bikes appeal to a very limited set of folks and I think that works to your advantage". When buying I suppose, when selling not sure.

Update on the bike in question. So this is the 5th go-round trying to buy a bike. The first guy left out the fact that he didnt know what the real mileage was. It was so low it had to be wrong. I had to ask.
The second one ... I said I was interested, offered a depost, they said it wasn't needed - "I'll hold it for you" NOT.
3rd guy tried to tell me something was ok with the bike when I knew it was not.
4th guy put the $price and OBO in the ad - I made a resonable offer, he told me the price was firm. wtf? This last guy emails me back and forth 4 times doesn't mention his name and in the last post tells me the mlleage is 12k not 8k like he thought. Innocent oversight - probably, bad form most definitely. That don't cut it.

Its not that hard people! I'm either going to get all the info correct from the get go, deal with a clear, straightforward, interested, honest seller etc. or I'm not buying the bike. I don't care how good a deal it is. Call me picky (not always) ocd (:)), or whatever...not gonna do it.

If it isn't 100% to me / seller_ I'm not doin it.
Especially since the advent of the 'innernet', I find it evident that people no longer know how to sell an item. :dodgy: Best of luck with your quest!
 
Back
Top