"Look where you want to go"

It's well known you'll wind up where you're looking. Ever notice if you fix your gaze on a road hazard like a pothole, 9 times out of 10 you'll hit it?
 
Thread starter
Insolentsquid_imp said:
Watch their heads....

Yes, and I'm surprised how far back on the seat they sit...thought they would be up against the tank.

I've never read a book on motorcycle riding or take a course for that matter, couldn't hurt I guess.
 
This is riding 101. Also it's A point which is always mentioned at the BRC/ARC .. anyone whom I see who tells me they want to start riding I recommend them to take the course ..also to fellow riders who has not taken it before...doesn't matter how many miles we have put, we learn a new thing or two everyday...
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Insolentsquid_imp said:
Watch their heads....

Yes, and I'm surprised how far back on the seat they sit...thought they would be up against the tank.

I've never read a book on motorcycle riding or take a course for that matter, couldn't hurt I guess.
Neither had I till recently. It was time really well spent. Should have done it years ago.

Funnily enough this problem if not always looking where I want to go has been plaguing me a little of late. Particularly in right hand corners.
 
I took the state riding course 2 years ago for a insurance reduction. I've ridden for 40+ years and still learned a few things. I could think of worst ways to spend a day or two.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Insolentsquid_imp said:
Watch their heads....

Yes, and I'm surprised how far back on the seat they sit...thought they would be up against the tank.

I've never read a book on motorcycle riding or take a course for that matter, couldn't hurt I guess.
Yes, and I'm surprised how far back on the seat they sit...thought they would be up against the tank.

I've never read a book on motorcycle riding or take a course for that matter, couldn't hurt I guess.
Just a guess, but the way they're hauling on those handlebars, they may be trying to keep as much weight off the front wheel as possible?
 
For those who haven't availed themselves of any of the very good books on motorcycling, I recommend digging into these:

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks. This book is probably the most practical for every day riding, even though it seems like a lot of it is about sport riding, it's applicable to absolutely everything one does on the street on a motorcycle.

A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding by Keith Code. Another very good book, although, IMHO, not as good as the previous book. More focused on sport riding, but, quite frankly, sport riding is just regular riding perfected, IMO. You wouldn't do yourself a disservice learning to corner like a pro -- it'll give you more slices of pie in case something bad happens (see previous book for reference).

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David Hough. This book goes deep into bunches of practical everyday type stuff, including protection, how to ride in a group, etc.

I would read the first one, then the last one, and if you're still hungry, read the second one. There are others, but these are my top three. I haven't gotten around to The Upper Half of the Motorcycle yet.
 
I can very much recommend Keith Codes Twist of the Wrist books, as well as attending the California Superbike school. We can all learn.
 
I went to a little CHP event last year where the officers gave us a little lesson in following them around in tight circles, hounding on us to keep our eyes right in the middle of the circle.. great exercise. I want to take the police moto course some time when I have time.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
I went to a little CHP event last year where the officers gave us a little lesson in following them around in tight circles, hounding on us to keep our eyes right in the middle of the circle.. great exercise. I want to take the police moto course some time when I have time.
While that stuff is certainly fun, it's not really applicable to street riding too much. You lean the opposite direction and you go slow. On the street, you lean with the turn and go much faster. It may help you in the parking lot, and it's not bad skill to have, but your money/time are much better spent doing a track day and/or advanced riding course which apply to 99% of your daily riding.
 
wildezt_imp said:
This is riding 101. Also it's A point which is always mentioned at the BRC/ARC .. anyone whom I see who tells me they want to start riding I recommend them to take the course ..also to fellow riders who has not taken it before...doesn't matter how many miles we have put, we learn a new thing or two everyday...
There is a lot that many riders can learn from these courses even the seasoned riders. I took the courses and still practice what I learned today. I even go up to where they do the riding part and if the lot is clear I brush up on some skills.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I ordered The Upper Half today. Thanks for posting. I've been working a lot harder on this ever since you posted this topic. I am getting better at it, but need a lot more work.
 
Thread starter
Yep, I've been trying to do this to, maybe subconsciously, everyone does it to some extent, but I've been working at it lately.
I also took AzBob's advice and ordered the below paper back, had considered eBook to my wife's Kindle, but she did not want her Kindle in my bathroom reading area :-)
Found on Walmart.com delivered to FedEx for free.

"Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks. This book is probably the most practical for every day riding, even though it seems like a lot of it is about sport riding, it's applicable to absolutely everything one does on the street on a motorcycle."
 
I've been practicing this for decades, and I still haven't perfected it, that is, been perfectly consistent. Sometimes I find myself looking for road debris, at stuff on the shoulder, or too far inside the curve searching for oncoming vehicles, etc. Also, occasionally I still find myself pushing on the outside grip instead of counter-steering in curves. Combined with not looking where I want to go, I can end up in some very floaty, wobbly curves, followed by some vigorous self-counselling on exit.

I take the MSF advanced rider course every other year. In one class our instructor told the story of a touring biker cruising through Kansas when he ran off the road into a vast, wide-open cornfield--well, almost wide open. There was just one thing in the field, in his path: the center pivot for a traveling irrigation system. He hit it. Target fixation 'n all.
 
ZenBiker_imp said:
I've been practicing this for decades, and I still haven't perfected it, that is, been perfectly consistent. Sometimes I find myself looking for road debris, at stuff on the shoulder, or too far inside the curve searching for oncoming vehicles, etc. Also, occasionally I still find myself pushing on the outside grip instead of counter-steering in curves. Combined with not looking where I want to go, I can end up in some very floaty, wobbly curves, followed by some vigorous self-counselling on exit.

I take the MSF advanced rider course every other year. In one class our instructor told the story of a touring biker cruising through Kansas when he ran off the road into a vast, wide-open cornfield--well, almost wide open. There was just one thing in the field, in his path: the center pivot for a traveling irrigation system. He hit it. Target fixation 'n all.
I assume you find yourself turning in the wrong direction when you do that? Or you saying you find yourself pulling the outside grip instead of pushing the inside grip? (either works, you just have more leverage doing the push on the inside than the pull on the outside).
 
AzBob_imp said:
ZenBiker_imp said:
I've been practicing this for decades, and I still haven't perfected it, that is, been perfectly consistent. Sometimes I find myself looking for road debris, at stuff on the shoulder, or too far inside the curve searching for oncoming vehicles, etc. Also, occasionally I still find myself pushing on the outside grip instead of counter-steering in curves. Combined with not looking where I want to go, I can end up in some very floaty, wobbly curves, followed by some vigorous self-counselling on exit.

I take the MSF advanced rider course every other year. In one class our instructor told the story of a touring biker cruising through Kansas when he ran off the road into a vast, wide-open cornfield--well, almost wide open. There was just one thing in the field, in his path: the center pivot for a traveling irrigation system. He hit it. Target fixation 'n all.
I assume you find yourself turning in the wrong direction when you do that? Or you saying you find yourself pulling the outside grip instead of pushing the inside grip? (either works, you just have more leverage doing the push on the inside than the pull on the outside).
I assume you find yourself turning in the wrong direction when you do that? Or you saying you find yourself pulling the outside grip instead of pushing the inside grip? (either works, you just have more leverage doing the push on the inside than the pull on the outside).

To clarify, I mean twisting the handlebars rather than counter-steering. That is, pushing on the outside grip, and pulling on the inside grip--as in turning a T-handle on a press, or turning your Big Wheel handlebars when you were a kid, or a like a clown on a clown bicycle, etc. Not pushing and pulling hard, but just leaning, twisting, and floating through the curve. Watch some wipe-out videos on YouTube and you'll see what I mean. I'd tell you to try it sometime, but don't.
 
I learned the "look where you want to go" technique by riding in the dirt. It is an essential skill for offroad...see big rock...hit big rock. Takes a while for your hands to completely trust your eyes. Took me a while to train myself to NOT look at obstacles..
 
Back
Top