Long ride Sat. 6-20

Doug_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Well, long for me anyway. Did a 250 mi. loop hwy. 285 through Fairplay, Co and through Breckenridge, Silverthorne and over Loveland pass and back home on I-70. This is my favorite view in all of Colorado, on Kenosha pass looking west over South park wilderness and the snow covered Mosquito mtn. range. Still a good bit of snow up high. Like usual it was very windy along that flat straight stretch of 285. Rode north out of Fairplay through the town of Alma. Had to stop and get a pic of the highest bar in North America, and just up the road a block was the highest saloon in North America. Approx. 10 mi. north is Hoosier pass, 11,500 ft. Rode north through Breckenridge, very crowded so didn't stop there, off to Silverthorne for lunch. Then all fat and full I piled on the CB and went over Loveland pass. Saw a bighorn sheep on the way up Loveland pass on the shoulder, luckily it stayed there. So about 6 hrs. and one tired butt later I was home chilin' under the swamp cooler. This was the first time I rode any of these roads on a bike, and can't wait to do it again. Next time I think I'll do it counter clockwise to avoid I-70 traffic down the hill, that 80 mph bumper to bumper was a bit unnerving. I have a few personal days left at work so I'll get away during the week one of these times.
 
Colorado...what a cool place to ride a motorcycle!
 
Absolutely love Colorado. Hope to ride there someday. Your pictures make me want to make that happen sooner than later.
 
Great pics and story. I think you have many more rides and stories ahead of you Doug. Great name too - I gave that name to my son!
 
More great pictures of beautiful places on the North American continent and another story about a happy chap out for a day on a Honda CB1100. What could be better? Thanks Doug.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Big open roads out there, how does the CB do on them?
The CB does well out on the open road, but at high altitude(9,000ft and up) it could use more horsepower. It never runs out of power, but you have to give yourself more room to pass other vehicles, and you have to keep in the throttle a good bit more. It will still hit triple digit speeds but takes a bit longer to get there. Driving wise, really good, but as you know above 70 mph it gets to be a handful if the wind is blowing.
 
Great photos and ride report. That is beautiful country. 11,500 feet! That is about twice as high as you can ride in this rather weather aged continent of ours. I might visit that bar/saloon (what's the difference?) one day. I will be sure to take my sleeping bag and a toothbrush with me though :).

Cheers, and thanks for sharing.
 
Back
Top