LITHIUM BATTERY UPGRADE: Ballistic vs. Antigravity vs. Shorai

E11even_Hunnit

Been there
Thread starter
I'm working on a new mudguard design which calls for a minor relocation of the electronics under the seat and-you guessed it-coincidentally result in some weight savings, though not the main objective.

I'm gonna be ditching the stock Yuasa YTZ14S(before it fails me) in favor of a newer, smaller and lighter battery

I'm undecided between:

Ballistic Evo II 8-Cell 100-011
Ballistic Lightweight Batteries

Antigravity AG-801 Lithium Battery
AG-801 Small Case Lithium Battery

Shorai LFX14A2-BS12
LFX14A2-BS12

Open to all feedback/suggestions
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
I'm working on a new mudguard design which calls for a minor relocation of the electronics under the seat and-you guessed it-coincidentally result in some weight savings, though not the main objective.

I'm gonna be ditching the stock Yuasa YTZ14S(before it fails me) in favor of a newer, smaller and lighter battery

I'm undecided between:

Ballistic Evo II 8-Cell 100-011
Ballistic Lightweight Batteries

Antigravity AG-801 Lithium Battery
AG-801 Small Case Lithium Battery

Shorai LFX14A2-BS12
LFX14A2-BS12

Open to all feedback/suggestions
We were just doing some research for my buddies Octane and I discovered the climate you live in has alot to do with it. The lithium batteries do not like the cold. As much as I'd love a small battery tender powersport battery, the northeast won't treat it well over the winter. Even in my garage it gets very cold.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
If you ride in a cold region and wish to use a lithium battery, you will need to turn on the ignition (headlight comes on), and wait up to 60 seconds. Allow the headlight to draw current and "warm up" the battery chemistry. After that, throw the start motor and the bike will crank to life.

Honda Africa Twin bikes 2018+ all have lithium batteries. Mine cranks no problem at -20C temperature.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Many Africa Twin owners use the Shorai, even though it is slightly underrated to OEM spec.

So far they appear content.
By slightly underrated? Are you referring to less CCA?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
If you ride in a cold region and wish to use a lithium battery, you will need to turn on the ignition (headlight comes on), and wait up to 60 seconds. Allow the headlight to draw current and "warm up" the battery chemistry. After that, throw the start motor and the bike will crank to life.

Honda Africa Twin bikes 2018+ all have lithium batteries. Mine cranks no problem at -20C temperature.
Well thats good to now, my neighbor had an Africa Twin and had no issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Many Africa Twin owners use the Shorai, even though it is slightly underrated to OEM spec.

So far they appear content.
By slightly underrated? Are you referring to less CCA?
By slightly underrated? Are you referring to less CCA?
Yessir.
 
Thread starter
So I ended up pulling the trigger on the Shorai. In the Bay area, you might see temperatures ranging from the 50's to the 80's(pretty broad range) for about 4 months out of the year, outside of that, it's mostly between 50's-60's for the greater part of the year. Coldest morning starts might occasionally be in the 40's in the winter.

I'll remember your advice on letting the Headlight wake it up prior to cold cranking
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
So I ended up pulling the trigger on the Shorai. In the Bay area, you might see temperatures ranging from the 50's to the 80's(pretty broad range) for about 4 months out of the year, outside of that, it's mostly between 50's-60's for the greater part of the year. Coldest morning starts might occasionally be in the 40's in the winter.

I'll remember your advice on letting the Headlight wake it up prior to cold cranking
Good to read. I suspect the CB1100 would have an easier time "warming up" the battery using the pre-2017 quartz headlight bulb.

I think some other Forum members have been using lithium batteries for a few years now and haven't reported an issue. Likely a good sign.

Don't forget to use a charger that has a lithium battery charge mode and ensure it actually goes into that mode if it tries to auto-detect lithium vs. lead acid.
 
Thread starter
Here's the Shorai (LFX14L2-BS12) standing side by side with the stock Yuasa YTZ14S for size comparison.

Although, it's rated slightly lower at 210 CCA, it's a mighty little battery. Cranks the bike no hesitation whatsoever, everytime.

2ab81a30cf971061d5c5e8666515a645.jpg
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Here's the Shorai (LFX14L2-BS12) standing side by side with the stock Yuasa YTZ14S for size comparison.

Although, it's rated slightly lower at 210 CCA, it's a mighty little battery. Cranks the bike no hesitation whatsoever, everytime.

2ab81a30cf971061d5c5e8666515a645.jpg
... and you shave off some significant weight too.
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Here's the Shorai (LFX14L2-BS12) standing side by side with the stock Yuasa YTZ14S for size comparison.

Although, it's rated slightly lower at 210 CCA, it's a mighty little battery. Cranks the bike no hesitation whatsoever, everytime.

2ab81a30cf971061d5c5e8666515a645.jpg
Hi E11,
Can you post a picture viewed from the front and not from top- the Shorai in front of the Yuasa.

I just notice that the terminal polarity are reversed. Was the cable long enough?

I will have to replace mine soon.
Thanks
 
Thread starter
17-CB-002 said:
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Here's the Shorai (LFX14L2-BS12) standing side by side with the stock Yuasa YTZ14S for size comparison.

Although, it's rated slightly lower at 210 CCA, it's a mighty little battery. Cranks the bike no hesitation whatsoever, everytime.

2ab81a30cf971061d5c5e8666515a645.jpg

Hi E11,
Can you post a picture viewed from the front and not from top- the Shorai in front of the Yuasa.

I just notice that the terminal polarity are reversed. Was the cable long enough?

I will have to replace mine soon.
Thanks

Apologies for the long overdue response on this one, but not as active on here these days.

The original ground terminal orientation certainly was a challenge installing the Shorai. Luckily for me I built an all-custom tray/fender so I was able to make it all work, but I feel I might dig in there at some point and install a slightly longer ground cable. Hasn't been a problem in 5+ years though.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but the Shorai has been awesome battery- very reliable with zero issues to report. Would recommend 10/10 despite of price increases since I purchased mine during the pandemic.

Well worthy upgrade/replacement if you can manage the potential terminal modifications.
 
E11even_Hunnit said:
17-CB-002 said:
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Here's the Shorai (LFX14L2-BS12) standing side by side with the stock Yuasa YTZ14S for size comparison.

Although, it's rated slightly lower at 210 CCA, it's a mighty little battery. Cranks the bike no hesitation whatsoever, everytime.

2ab81a30cf971061d5c5e8666515a645.jpg

Hi E11,
Can you post a picture viewed from the front and not from top- the Shorai in front of the Yuasa.

I just notice that the terminal polarity are reversed. Was the cable long enough?

I will have to replace mine soon.
Thanks

Apologies for the long overdue response on this one, but not as active on here these days.

The original ground terminal orientation certainly was a challenge installing the Shorai. Luckily for me I built an all-custom tray/fender so I was able to make it all work, but I feel I might dig in there at some point and install a slightly longer ground cable. Hasn't been a problem in 5+ years though.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but the Shorai has been awesome battery- very reliable with zero issues to report. Would recommend 10/10 despite of price increases since I purchased mine during the pandemic.

Well worthy upgrade/replacement if you can manage the potential terminal modifications.

On another note, I am using a noco nlp14 and it amazing. Been using it with no charger for over a year and no issues. I had it die the first day because I didn't have a ignition wired to my heated grips and left it on at work. I was able to jumpstart it and its been solid since. Was very good value at sub 100 dollars on sale.
 
Back
Top