Lifting the CB1100 and other basic questions

FlyingGreg_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Howdy--new member here. Love the CB1100 and currently own a 1989 Shadow 1100. The Shadow does not have a center stand, but I see in the photos of the CB1100 that both center and side stand are present--great!

Is the CB center stand suitable for most basic maintenance activities or does the bike need to be raised on a jack--to remove the rear wheel for example? My Shadow has lots of low hanging pipes, tubes, etc. that prevent the jack from centering and lifting without a confusing array of blocks and shims.

I do not anticipate any mods other than adding some kind of wind screen and a way to hold stuff. I have saddle bags on the Shadow and like them. I peaked at the photo page in this forum and saw a few screens/fairings but not much in the way of saddle bags. Is this eschewed by my new family of CB riders?

Looking forward to spending time on this forum while I rationalize the purchase of a new/used CB1100.
 
I removed both of my wheels using the center stand and jack stands under the frame sliders. I put it up on the center stand, put a floor jack under the front of the exhaust, lifted the bike and slid stands under the sliders.
 
Greg a lot of us use tank bags and tail packs but we also use saddlebags as well. The problem with saddlebags is rear turn signal location, and using saddlebags may preclude a passenger from using the rear pegs. An excellent place to look at bags in Cinti is Sporttour, an acc shop in Sharonville/Forest Park.



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Mensfalltrip2014014_zps3e955d51.jpg.html]

You can do most everything on the centerstand , except you will need to put a padded block or something under the front headers to remove the front wheel.

Oil change is a snap on these bikes.Easily accomplished while on the centerstad.
 
ferret, just so I'm clear on what you said, are you saying to put the weight of the bike on the headers and lift with a floor jack?
I haven't done it nor have I had a need to remove the front wheel (yet), but that seems like a lot of weight for the headers to support.
I'm always willing to listen to the voices of experience.

That said, I have a paddock stand for lifting the front end, but it's useless if I decide to change the fork springs or install gaiters.
 
I recently had to take off the front wheel and forks on my CB. I had the bike on the center stand and also used a small scissor jack that came with my Honda Civic. I placed a small board on the jack underneath the center of the bike near the oil drain plug and cranked slowly while checking the stability...Not the ideal way to do it I'm sure but it worked out well.
 
Rocky..no, I put weight on the back end until tire hits to lift the front off the ground, then slide a block padded with carpet under the headers. Then take weight off the back end. Not much weight on the headers, most is on centerstand and back wheel.

For experiment to see how much weight, put bike on centerstand and you can lift front end off ground with a 4 fingers under the front of the fender. Its pivoting on the centerstand.
 
Yea I meant if you used full size bags with the turn signals where they are, your passenger would not have room to get to their foot pegs. Sorry if that was confusing.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yea I meant if you used full size bags with the turn signals where they are, your passenger would not have room to get to their foot pegs. Sorry if that was confusing.
Sorry,I described it wrong. In order to install the bags, I had to move the signals. With the bags in place there is room for passenger.

The early Shadows had the turn signals attaching closer toward the front. In later years they were moved to the license plate bracket, where mine are now, allowing plenty of room for saddlebags.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rocky..no, I put weight on the back end until tire hits to lift the front off the ground, then slide a block padded with carpet under the headers. Then take weight off the back end. Not much weight on the headers, most is on centerstand and back wheel.

For experiment to see how much weight, put bike on centerstand and you can lift front end off ground with a 4 fingers under the front of the fender. Its pivoting on the centerstand.
Thanks for that.
 
When I removed my front wheel I used the center stand to support the weight of the bike and then a piece of plywood on top of my floor jack under the oil pan to rock the bike back onto the rear wheel. No real weight was ever put on the oil pan, just enough to rock the bike onto the back wheel.
 
When I swapped out my front tire, i put the bike up on the centerstand then used a small floor jack under the oil pan. It came right up and was pretty stable.
 
Randy B_imp said:
When I removed my front wheel I used the center stand to support the weight of the bike and then a piece of plywood on top of my floor jack under the oil pan to rock the bike back onto the rear wheel. No real weight was ever put on the oil pan, just enough to rock the bike onto the back wheel.
Good stuff.
That's how I do it with my other bikes.
 
Rocky_imp said:
ferret, just so I'm clear on what you said, are you saying to put the weight of the bike on the headers and lift with a floor jack?
I haven't done it nor have I had a need to remove the front wheel (yet), but that seems like a lot of weight for the headers to support.
I'm always willing to listen to the voices of experience.

That said, I have a paddock stand for lifting the front end, but it's useless if I decide to change the fork springs or install gaiters.
I read that ferret does it differently, but I have done just as you suggest with the VFR - headers on the floor jack with a block of wood between - with no issues. I'm confident it would be fine with my CB as well. It would be nice if they made a triple tree stand for the CB. Until then, I'll stick to the jack/wood combo up front. I suppose I could weight the rear to take some off the front.
 
When removing the front end, to put on my fork boots, I wasn't keen on putting weight on the headers, so I approached it differently.
1) Bike on the center stand.
2) Looped a tie down strap around each hand grip.
3) Attached the other end of tie down straps to garage rafters.
4) Sat on seat to rock back and take the weight off the front end.
5) Snugged up the tie down straps to hold the front end off the ground.

Worked like a charm. The straps were holding very little weight, and the front end couldn't flop around as I worked.
 
Back
Top