lifesavers ?

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have had 3 or 4 close encounters with other vehicles, initially staying behind me for a while, and all of a sudden trying to pass on the right in a turn. Yes, I know this sounds somewhere between impossible and absurd. This is super dangerous, so I started shopping for glue-on auxiliary mirrors, to cover that dead angle. Not easy since the CB's mirrors are relatively small. Another problem, seller's often post fake pictures (e.g. on ebay) where main and aux mirror are not shown to scale.
After some setbacks here is what I found on ebay. They are a snug fit for the CB1100.



/ I am not sure this image will show embedded into the post.
/ you may have to click on the link.
 
j3gq, neither the pic or the link showed. I have a suggestion regarding mirrors. I have found one particular mirror that has worked very well for me. I first had them on my 1990 XL600V Transalp, and when I replaced that bike, put them on all my V-Stroms and scooters.

They have 115mm glass diameter compared to the 109mm of the CB1100. Doesn't sound like much, but in actual use, very noticeable in a larger field of view with the same magnification. Main part number is 88210-MM9-000, about $17, but you will need the the vibration damper and boot and lock nuts which adds $10.

More importantly, the mirrors pivot at the bottom of the housing, so that you can position the mirror forward for a larger field of vision. The pivot also allows the head to articulate inward/outward about 25mm (1 inch) total. The head tension is adjustable which is important when encountering cars mirrors/obstacles. Also same left and right.

The vibration dampener and nuts elevate the mirror 35mm, so it is more in your line of sight. Only bad part is that the stalks are that thin black coating, but easy to sand and paint.

 
I have put Honda CBX mirrors on all my last 5 bikes , longer stem and MUCH better view because of this . I do not understand why riders put small mirrors on their bikes .
To me they do not look better and you will not look good laying in a hospital bed because of tiny mirrors .
 
Houtman_imp said:
I have put Honda CBX mirrors on all my last 5 bikes , longer stem and MUCH better view because of this . I do not understand why riders put small mirrors on their bikes .
To me they do not look better and you will not look good laying in a hospital bed because of tiny mirrors .
CBX mirrors are a good choice also - I think they have the same stem corrosion problems though. For some reason, I find big round mirrors far more easy to glance into than rectangular ones.
 
The CBX mirrors I use are from the 79 and 80 bikes , no chrome on them just a "blackened " finish , not certain what it is .
 
Houtman_imp said:
The CBX mirrors I use are from the 79 and 80 bikes , no chrome on them just a "blackened " finish , not certain what it is .
Late model black mirrors have a cheap black plating or coating on their stalks, just like the black throttle cable adjusters on some new bikes, and the forward edges always corrode from exposure. I remember my CBX's lollipop mirrors would corrode on their stalk's forward sides too, though not as badly.
 
This is j3gq's image. The site that hosts it will not allow you to link to it. For a good thread on posting photos on this site, see http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12717



A number of people on this site find the rectangular mirrors from the CB500 more to their taste.
 
For the first time I put convex mirrors inset onto my OEM mirrors and that happened this year.

I still do the shoulder check, but the extra side coverage is golden, especially on the freeway where it can be challenging to detect what might be coming up from behind. Likely more importantly, call it age or something like that, sometimes the neck muscle kinks-up and the complete shoulder check can't be completed. The mirrors have been valuable in that situation.
 
With my CBX mirrors I do not have to turn my head as I can see both sides of the road behind me from the left and the right mirror , I see the road and not my shoulders ! Also important when you drive or ride to constantly look in your rear view mirror , in Holland when I took my tests in 1968 (both bike and car on the same day ) many people failed because they did not check their mirrors frequently enough.
 
Thread starter
@pekingduck : thank you, good advice. If this isn't a Honda part number, please let me know.
@houtman : do all recent Honda mirrors (for different bikes) use the very same screw/nut assembly at the bottom of stem ?
@cormanus : thank you for the digital help ;)

Now that the picture is visible, let me add this. I think that no "better/bigger" mirror can give you the extra field of few that these little add-on mirrors provide if mounted on the bottom of the OEM mirrors. (I'll post another picture these days). And what's really nice, once adjusted they don't move through vibration or high speed. Cost for a pair was 7$ incl. S&H.

@goldoxide : entirely agree!
 
Just my taste & opinion...
Same as Houtman, when I just took delivery of my CB, the first thing that I did to the CB was to temporarily used my CBX rectangular mirror until I received the new rectangular ones.

I prefer rectangular mirrors since they give me a wider field of view compared to a round mirror. To me round mirrors projects too much sky and asphalt surface views

The way mirrors are adjusted are very important!

Again my preference.
1. I adjust them so that when riding, I "barely" see my shoulders.
2. I must see the "SAME" object (let's say it's PB) inside the inner side of both mirrors.
3. Then the balance view is whatever the view is.


Same methodology applied to my car.
Friends laugh at me when they sit in the driver seat of my car :s they complains that the mirrors projects too much outer view.

The way I adjust the mirrors to avoid "Blind Spot"....
First I adjust the inner rear view mirror, then.
I adjust the outer mirrors so that the mirror inner image barely display the rear quarter panel of my vehicle, then, I slowly move the mirror away from the vehicle a bit - let's say the width of a person standing and freeze it there.
My logic is that there is no need for the driver to see the quarter panel of the vehicle plus the "estimated" distance of the width of a person standing at that location.
This way I can see on "both" sides "ANY" object in the next lane (left or right).
Also, I synchronize the inner rear view mirror so that there is a full view coverage from left to right, in other words, as soon as the inner mirror looses the view of the vehicle behind me, I can see it just appearing in the side mirror.

Samurider or AliExpress have them.
Note: Make sure that you have the correct mirror stem/stalk tread diameter and pitch.

Just my thoughts.[/b]
Regards
Alain
CB Rectangular mirrors



 
Thread starter
@Alain Lee, you're missing (at least part of) my point. The object I cannot see with any plain vanilla mirrors (good or bad or round or other, no matter how well adjusted) is another vehicle just outside whatever field of view I have. And there will always be one situation where the shoulder check is not possible.
This is where only a convex extra mirror can do the trick. If the main mirrors were convex altogether that wouldn't work either. What I am trying to say is not that "I am right". What I am trying to say is : if you "feel" the need for convex mirrors and you can't find good ones for your CB1100 ... they do exist, but only 1 among 50 models on ebay is really up for the job.
If one of you finds them with my help, and only one accident is avoided this way in 2021, then I am more than happy.
 
Thread starter
I ordered from ebay Germany, but since all of this stuff is coming from China anyway, I checked on ebay.com tonight. Here is the link to the same product with identical dimensions, same shape, and same prop for sticking them on. Btw, this seller too has photoshopped the pictures to make the glue-on mirrors look like a perfect fit into some car mirror housings. Just ignore these photos, they do not show the right dimensions. The text provides the correct length and height.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Universal-Ca...3&LH_BIN=1

(sorry for the extra long url, but goo.gl seems no longer operational)
 
Thanks. Not sure how they’d go on an OEM mirror.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks. Not sure how they’d go on an OEM mirror.
Yeah, can't use those ones with the pivot socket in the back, unless one like the goofy pivot gadget.

Otherwise, most decent quality ones affix with supplied 3M VHB foam tape. They'll stay on. Mine are convex. The VHB is at the rim of the backside.

I actually acquired mine from a local hardware store for about the same price as online. That was a bonus.
 
My fave mirrors are the ones on my BMW R1100RT. They're in pods on the fairing and provide a great view. I've been thinking of adding some of those little round convex ones, but haven't done it.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks. Not sure how they’d go on an OEM mirror.


Sorry for such simple drawing. It shows the left CB mirror seen from the driver's position, the place where the aux mirror is glued on (small circle), and the position of the auxiliary mirror. This position works just fine.
- the total field of view is significantly increased,
- the rear view in the CB mirror is as good as before,
- the aux mirror is protected from the airflow,
- the frame of the CB mirror does not interfere with the aux mirror's adjustment.

Hope this makes sense.
 
Back
Top