Let's see your first real riding jacket.

whizzle_dizzler_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Being a bit of a gear-head like many other motorcyclists, hording collecting all sorts of different gear is part of the fun of being a motorcyclist.

I was reorganizing the garage today, and pulled from a pile of gear, the first riding jacket I ever bought. It's an Alpinestars something or the other, size 38 US. I bought off eBay for $180 in 2007 when I had my R6, and used it every winter when I needed something a little heavier and non perforated. Anyway, I was 5'6" 150lbs when I bought it. I can still fit it now at 180lbs, but without back and chest armor, so it's getting retired.

It's been through a highside, many rains, many rides, but I will never get rid of it.

Here she is. Let's get nostalgic and post yours up too.

aa237b5b35f4f9ffb3b56e8877ebc57f.jpg


af05fa4b7c1993df0d9ab9f9726991fc.jpg
 
I never keep no longer needed jackets , pants , helmets or anything like that ; my wife and I do not like "clutter " Also old gear remind me of my old weight when I was younger !
 
I still remember my first motorcycle jacket. Can't remember the brand, but it was bright blue with white stripes on the arms. I loved the look of it. But, I lost a lot of weight after I first started riding. I wore that jacket after finding it in a closet, and it rode up on my like a trash bag once I got on the freeway.

We used to have a lovely shop in Long Beach called Yellow Devil. It was a used gear exchange, where you could sell your old gear on consignment and buy other gear. I got rid of all of my larger sized jackets there. After it went out of business, another intrepid person tried the same concept, opening a shop in Corona, but that didn't last too long.
 
My first riding jacket, other than my old army field jacket, was a Levi's jacket with a blanket lining. It worked well in SoCal, but I don't know what finally happened to it. Now I have a ragtag collection hanging in the garage, some of which I still use on occasion, but my main one during the summer is the black and red mesh Honda Racing jacket I bought at Yellow Devil, which may have belonged to Gone in 60. There's a second-hand "vintage" store in HB, where I traded a Schott Ryder that became too small for me, for another generic black leather that fit better. I gave one of my old ones to my daughter, but it got stolen from her.
 
When i got back to riding a few years ago I pulled out the jacket my father left to me when he died. Well, okay, I stole it from his closet when my siblings weren't looking. Anyhow... He bought it in New Zealand quite a while ago and wore it all the time as he got older and was always cold. It's a bit big for me and isn't really a proper protective riding jacket, but it is very warm and so comfortable that I still take it out for a spin once in a while. Mostly, it brings back memories of my dad.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
 
Nice story, Inhouse Bob.
 
First jacket was bought from "oomen motors" in Amsterdam around 1976 for a lot of money but i had to have it, Agostini you see.....
Turns out leather looks after you if you give it a little wax every 20 years or so, biggest difference;
now i cannot wear anything more than a t shirt underneath, oh well and it never felt cold, no padding just leather;

5956865a24ee6c7137932625a48fbb2e.jpg


Seems i have decapitated myself here;

7d4370763604d0f1652058c7b2538e85.jpg


fac06d77650bfeafc90c72b2e1c286e2.jpg


Feeling slightly nostalgic now:beerchug:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
This is very nice jacket...soft and tender leather :thumbsup:
Thanks guys.
After I posted this, I googled the jacket and I saw that you can pick up a similar one from the same company used for $25-$45. So it isn't rare or special except to me :thumbsup:
 
Ok, here goes... This photo was taken 40 years and 30 pounds ago. My uncle gave me this jacket (used) circa 1972 or so. The picture was taken around 1980. Can you see why I love this CB1100 so much?

e8f30441e765939e931825a2f1d8e593.jpg


That's a 1976 KZ900 with pipes from a 1978/79 or so KZ 1000. I (foolishly) sold the bike when our daughter came along, around 1989.

"...Mommas don't let your babies grow up to ride motorcycles...!"
 
I really liked The A-Man's new jacket at the rally with the hump on the back ...got my curiosity up.... I thought it was a aerodynamic but I guess I'm behind the times this is what I found

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
My first post with taptalk....attached pictures are big!
 
Ok, I’m in. Here’s my first motorcycle jacket. I still fit into it (barely). Needs new cuffs and waistband as the elastic has given way and I’m close to getting that done. It’s my father’s Navy G1 from when he flew out of NAS Lemoore, Alameda, and Whidbey Island.

Since it didn’t fit anymore, he handed it down to me around my graduation from college in 2002. In addition to being with him in the A7 Corsair, A4 Skyhawk, and F18 Hornet;
it’s been with me on a CB650, CB350f, XJ1100, and now a CB1100EX (kinda like a fighter jet, amiright, lol).

When the collar is up, it’s perfectly warm and fits right up to the bottom of my helmet. Great for when riding in PNW fall and spring weather. It has great patina and lots of sentimental value. I am proud to wear it.

400df8da3289a3c01f7d19aba1f96a97.jpg
 
Nice jacket and nice story, koehlerk.
 
Koehlerk, that style flight jacket is really nice. And its nice you have your dad’s! I had one like that from my Navy days. I wasn’t a pilot though. Being enlisted I flew in the backend of an E-2. EVERYBODY wanted one and interestingly the supply guys always seemed to have one... The PRs too naturally.

I gave mine to a friend. It also had worn out cuffs and he had them replaced with the same cuffs. I would imagine they are still available if you search around some.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Koehlerk, that style flight jacket is really nice. And its nice you have your dad’s! I had one like that from my Navy days. I wasn’t a pilot though. Being enlisted I flew in the backend of an E-2. EVERYBODY wanted one and interestingly the supply guys always seemed to have one... The PRs too naturally.

I gave mine to a friend. It also had worn out cuffs and he had them replaced with the same cuffs. I would imagine they are still available if you search around some.
I did a brief search and see some options. It'll be worth the fix for sure.

Did you "get" to do carrier landings in the E2? Dad was in the gulf on the Kitty Hawk during Iran conflict cir. 1979-80. When they got back, he was one of the first to be let off to meet his new baby son (me).
 
Hey found an old pic, although you can't see it very well. Brown Brooks leather on my '81 Root Beer Brown GS850G Suzuki cruising down the Blue Ridge parkway.

bdbeb5c99fa67718f2a7071fdf4416af.jpg


Touring was simpler then lol

My younger brother had the black version of the jacket..here riding his Kaw 1000 on that BRP trip

99690411b8a970c7d7e82b126f60580d.jpg
 
Back
Top