Let the GPS figure it out

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
Some of the most interesting rides I've taken locally are when I use my TomTom GPS feature called "Plan a Thrill". The name is a misnomer for what you get, at least here in Kentucky. With this route planning algorithm in charge, you will be directed down the smallest possible, most remote, and infrequently traveled roads. I've had some occasions where the road simply became private property, or petered out into nothing. At that point, the GPS snaps out if its apparent slumber and directs you to re-trace the last 5 miles of your route to return to civilization. These routes do not represent thrilling riding, unless you consider lots of loose gravel, unexpected sharp changes of direction, narrow bridges of indeterminate suitability for motorcycles, and a narrow riding path to be thrilling. At most you can ride 25-35 mph, visibility ahead permitting, and beware your front brake.

Today one of those "GPS" experiences occurred. I took a left off a one-lane road onto an even smaller one-lane road. A shirtless, tow-headed boy of about 12 years old appeared out of the woods on my right driving a Gator and followed me to...his house in the middle of the woods. When I stopped, he pulled up beside me with a look of puzzlement. I said, "My GPS brought me here for some reason! I need to turn around!" He said, "Just go through the yard, it's OK!" So that's what I did as his dad looked over from his farm chores quizzically.

Here are some scenes from the ride.

a1d445136bfe384e3a827877645c6f8f.jpg


53a08216c65712ee5df5b8a7c04f838a.jpg


39ec19d253a1818fef142dcbe4952459.jpg


I recommend getting off the bike and walking the bridge looking for tire hazards.
3b8fb40a142ae8717b6e64981085ac51.jpg


69c55b41d34a027a64e81ce37229bc35.jpg


a5e4ac17d6fe90925fff46c31931bebe.jpg


feb2a26a863b155f8fe97c9d16bfed92.jpg


897027679d7d29886756fceaa9bae77e.jpg


76b11881e8cd0a83752fa6648330bbbb.jpg


6a3993cf96b7e7d7c38aa73d60557469.jpg


054435abd35f61261ac799f86c4c403c.jpg


Lunch in Cynthiana.
a2e7fbd081c3315d3dc3c5e14e3258ed.jpg


Ferret's road recommendation. Fantastic...no decreasing-radius or off-camber curves. All fast sweepers with good visibility and no traffic.

df26546b694b779f768874185cb23c13.jpg


Route (more or less, lol)
12e6df7d98d599b89f45451ce0cb17ba.jpg
 
My wife and I had a GPS experience just last week ....only the good kind. We were pre-running a route for our Fall Mens Trip over in Indiana. We had just passed thru Friendship Ind on RT 62 when all of a sudden with no warning the road was blocked. No detour signs, just a barricaded blocked road. I turned around and went back to Friendship. Stopped and got my ancient Tom-Tom out of the trunk. Wasn't even sure it would work, but it powered up and I programmed in the town we were headed to and it led me around the road block and back to 62 on some really small country backroads, but I was thrilled it got me back on track. Once back on track I took the GPS off and threw it back in the trunk.

I prefer paper maps, but a GPS can come in handy every once in awhile lol.

Hey thats a pretty good looking pizza. Was that at Leonos?
 
Thread starter
Yep, Leono's. The lady who runs that place is a dynamo of energy. She never stops moving and is always so pleasant to the customers.
 
What a great GPS feature. Thanks for the pics and tale, Stichill.
 
You should mark "Bill's yard" or similar on your map so we know where to stop and deposit a $1 toll.
 
Followed my GPS route - avoid highways - from my sisters place in W Pa to my home recently, took me places In my neighborhood I didn't know existed. Added five hours to my trip! Can't wait to do it again.
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
Followed my GPS route - avoid highways - from my sisters place in W Pa to my home recently, took me places In my neighborhood I didn't know existed. Added five hours to my trip! Can't wait to do it again.
That's the magic! :thumbsup:
 
I've used this feature on Google maps before. The only caveat is it will take you over gravel roads.
 
Back
Top