LED Tail/Brake Light?

Whoops

Been there
Thread starter
So I just installed the Vizi-Tech Supabrake 3 and it seems to be working great so far. The bummer with having an incandescent brake light bulb though is it is much slower to cycle when flashing.

I understand that there are issues with the turn signal/running lights when swapping to LED, but would it be possible to just upgrade the brake and tail lights so I can increase the pulse intensity on the Vizi-Tech relay?

Has anyone swapped those out and if so, what did you replace it with?
 
Can you guys attach a photo to an email? Do you have a file of jpeg photos in your PC?

I have never done it from a phone but they tell me it's real easy in tapatalk
 
Thread starter
obleo_imp said:
Yes , after 5 years on this forum never have been able to post pics
Without having to attempt posting a picture, do you have a part number or website link for the bulb perhaps? I have done a fair amount of searching using the Honda part number with LED and haven't found squat outside of a traditional bulb.

I ordered the service manual which I am hoping will state a generic bulb number I can get just about anywhere which might help me locate a generic LED substitute. So no worries if you don't have a part or link. :thumbsup:
 
Whoops, is it the tail light you’re after? The 2013 Service Manual says it’s 12V — 5/21W. I suspect the 2014 is the same.
 
5/21W is a universal tail/brake light bulb used the world over. Just buy any LED bulb being sold as an automotive tail/brake light bulb. Before you do though you might take the existing standard bulb out and check the two bayonet pin locations. Some manufacturs use differing offset bayonets.

For example, check out this bulb here. You need to look for something like this but matching the bayonet locations that you have on your existing bulb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P21-5W-L...5b261:g:iuMAAOSwafBf50OH&var=564842622332
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
5/21W is a universal tail/brake light bulb used the world over. Just buy any LED bulb being sold as an automotive tail/brake light bulb. Before you do though you might take the existing standard bulb out and check the two bayonet pin locations. Some manufacturs use differing offset bayonets.

For example, check out this bulb here. You need to look for something like this but matching the bayonet locations that you have on your existing bulb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P21-5W-L...5b261:g:iuMAAOSwafBf50OH&var=564842622332
OK, will give that a try. I thought there was a standard bulb designation, perhaps something like "3049" or the like. I will pull the bulb and go to an auto parts store and see what models match, then see what I can find online that is an LED replacement.

Thanks!
Cormanus_imp said:
Whoops, is it the tail light you’re after? The 2013 Service Manual says it’s 12V — 5/21W. I suspect the 2014 is the same.
I think you're right. From the different parts schematics at various parts houses on the web, the 2013 and 2014's seem to be the same bulb and wattage.
 
Here's what i use at the moment, works fine but the difference between running and brake light is a bit less than i would have liked, still ok though and should last a fair bit and the light output is fine;

Things to watch out for is the dual contacts in the base and the wattage.
Designations are bay15 s ( single contact 15 mm socket ) and bay15d ( Double contact ).

I think bay stands for Bajonet socket Automotive And i give up on the y bit, could be a size unit for the socket.

You want the bay15D variety like in this picture.



just got some spares for the future too.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Here is a link that says it is an 1157 and shows an LED replacement: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3348

There are most likely more if you search around.
Beautiful, thanks. The 1157 was the number I was looking for. Seems to be about 8 bajillion versions in an LED, but surprisingly a lot of the cheap ones don’t show if they are dual contacts on the bottom. Might end up buying several and seeing which ones work best.
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
Here's what i use at the moment, works fine but the difference between running and brake light is a bit less than i would have liked, still ok though and should last a fair bit and the light output is fine;

Things to watch out for is the dual contacts in the base and the wattage.
Designations are bay15 s ( single contact 15 mm socket ) and bay15d ( Double contact ).

I think bay stands for Bajonet socket Automotive And i give up on the y bit, could be a size unit for the socket.

You want the bay15D variety like in this picture.



just got some spares for the future too.
I found this rather well composed explanation of the Bay15d bulb nomenclature. Thought others might appreciate the details.

What is the difference between a BA15D base, BAY15D (1157) base and BA
 
If I recall correctly, the CB1100 OEM taillight is a single bulb arrangement?

If that is correct, I found it odd because my ol' '76 RD400 was dual bulb, ... just in case one bulb burned out, the taillight would still be illuminated.
 
One bulb, dual element.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
One bulb, dual element.
Are the elements dutied with independent normal riding and brake illumination, or are they both asserted when braking?

Are they both asserted during non-braking? If not, then that would be a visibility issue if the riding element failed.

Also, if both elements are used during non-braking, how does one know when one of the elements has opened? I can't imagine it being too obvious to the average onlooker.
 
I have to look at the schematic again, but IIRC one is on all the time and the other when braking.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I have to look at the schematic again, but IIRC one is on all the time and the other when braking.
No biggie. Sounds like it is possible to ride (not braking) with no visible taillight if the respective bulb element is burnt out.
 
Yup GO, and in my case i ended up with no element at all at night:-/, hence the trial of the led unit, my hornet 900 has two dual filament ( duplo:idea::idea: ) bulbs but they are flange fittings like our indicators.

And yes, you already know this but in answer to your question; 5 watt always on and 21 watts on when brake is applied ( both on in the latter case )

And i think Lord Popgun meant two filaments total, not per contact, one 5 watts for driving and the second one 21 watts for the brake, just to be clear because i read it as two filaments per contact, raised one eyebrow slightly and read the post again with my reading glasses in place.

Nice find whoops, i just looked at the designation and made it up, think i got lucky again this time but thanks for the confirmation!
 
Yes Max, I meant 2 filaments total.
 
Back
Top