Leather maintenance ...

GoldOxide_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I read a few posts regarding leather care for items like Corbin saddles and the routine application of leather care product, but I still don't have a solid feel of leather product performance.

If we use the CB1100 Corbin leather saddle products as an example, how have they stood up to common and routine exposure to rain, UV radiation from the sun, and summer heat let's say for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week? Do unstitched saddles endure better than the stitched models? Can one get away with minimal leather care under these conditions?

In contrast, the Honda factory saddles require no maintenance (aside from the occasional seagull or goose dumping) and seem to hold their own indefinitely.

Comments?
 
If you're looking for ideas, Lexol Leather Conditioner and Preservative has served me very well. I don't have any leather seats, but it works the treat on my Hein Gericke leather jacket and seems to hold up reasonably well. When I rode in leathers exclusively (I no longer do), I'd reapply the Lexol about twice a year, though I rarely allowed my gear to get rained on. I imagine most leather products that are exposed to the elements will require periodic care and conditioning if one expects them to remain supple and endure over time, especially outdoors.

Since we're typically sitting on our bike, I'm guessing exposure to the elements may be less of a concern for a leather seat than the constant rubbing and chaffing from our backside. Any ranchers or horsemen here?
 
My vinyl Corbin seats keep very well , had some over 25 years and no wear at all , just clean twice a year with Honda polish although this will make it more slippery .
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I read a few posts regarding leather care for items like Corbin saddles and the routine application of leather care product, but I still don't have a solid feel of leather product performance.

If we use the CB1100 Corbin leather saddle products as an example, how have they stood up to common and routine exposure to rain, UV radiation from the sun, and summer heat let's say for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week? Do unstitched saddles endure better than the stitched models? Can one get away with minimal leather care under these conditions?

In contrast, the Honda factory saddles require no maintenance (aside from the occasional seagull or goose dumping) and seem to hold their own indefinitely.

Comments?
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you use seagull or goose dumplings to maintain your OEM seat? :P
 
Cormanus_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I read a few posts regarding leather care for items like Corbin saddles and the routine application of leather care product, but I still don't have a solid feel of leather product performance.

If we use the CB1100 Corbin leather saddle products as an example, how have they stood up to common and routine exposure to rain, UV radiation from the sun, and summer heat let's say for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week? Do unstitched saddles endure better than the stitched models? Can one get away with minimal leather care under these conditions?

In contrast, the Honda factory saddles require no maintenance (aside from the occasional seagull or goose dumping) and seem to hold their own indefinitely.

Comments?
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you use seagull or goose dumplings to maintain your OEM seat? :P
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you use seagull or goose dumplings to maintain your OEM seat? :P
...+1..and I dare to add, especially near Lakeshore Blvd/Lake Ontario :angel:
:rofl:
 
Another Lexol user here on my leather riding gear
 
Lexol here too!
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
My vinyl Corbin seats keep very well , had some over 25 years and no wear at all , just clean twice a year with Honda polish although this will make it more slippery .
Thanks everybody for the feedback. U2 Cormanus! :)

Houtman: I didn't realize Corbin made a vinyl seat. I wonder if that is still true - something for me to re-check.
 
Yes, Corbin gives you the choice of material , I always call them when I order one and have them email the order form back to me to make certain that all is what I ordered BEFORE they build it.
 
+1 on Lexol cleaner & conditioner, but I use it for my boots/jackets. Kinda glad I don’t have a leather seat - bad enough in cars over time where it’s not exposed to the elements...
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Yes, Corbin gives you the choice of material , I always call them when I order one and have them email the order form back to me to make certain that all is what I ordered BEFORE they build it.
:thumbsup: I'll pay closer attention to that.

jimgl3: I use mink oil on all my leather boots. Seems to combat salt water reasonably well.
 
This is the only thing I will use on my leather boots from now on, until something better comes along I guess. The proprietor of the brand claims that mink oil and other synthetics, while waterproofing leather temporarily, actually break down the fibers and shorten the life of the product. While I can’t speak on behalf of that claim, I can say that this stuff works wonders and I love it. The Heavy Duty LP here is best used for work boots and such, it’s pretty thick, greasy stuff. They also make a thinner, easier to apply product that’s perfect for coats, seats, saddles, etc. I’ve yet to try that stuff out but when the time comes to treat my jacket and seat I’ll be picking up a bottle for sure.

Made in Idaho, all natural!!

*This WILL darken brown leather, and it has a very distinct honey-like aroma to it from the propolis. Personally, I like the deep dark hue it gives to my boots and like the scent quite well too. Probably wouldn’t affect black leather at all though.


https://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Leather-...3624&psc=1
 
Thread starter
dbarkdoll_imp said:
This is the only thing I will use on my leather boots from now on, until something better comes along I guess. The proprietor of the brand claims that mink oil and other synthetics, while waterproofing leather temporarily, actually break down the fibers and shorten the life of the product. While I can’t speak on behalf of that claim, I can say that this stuff works wonders and I love it. The Heavy Duty LP here is best used for work boots and such, it’s pretty thick, greasy stuff. They also make a thinner, easier to apply product that’s perfect for coats, seats, saddles, etc. I’ve yet to try that stuff out but when the time comes to treat my jacket and seat I’ll be picking up a bottle for sure.

Made in Idaho, all natural!!

*This WILL darken brown leather, and it has a very distinct honey-like aroma to it from the propolis. Personally, I like the deep dark hue it gives to my boots and like the scent quite well too. Probably wouldn’t affect black leather at all though.


https://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Leather-...3624&psc=1

I find with natural products that darken brown leather, eventually the original brown colour recovers - maybe in a week or two.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
GO, are you going for any type of Corbin soon??
:)
It is on my list of CB candidate changes. I will take a more serious look at it given vinyl (hopefully not stitched) is said to be an option. Up to now I was a bit turned off leather given the daily exposure my seat gets. I don't have the patience for nurturing leather at this moment, although I like leather.

I will re-read the detailed posts about CB owners who tried the Corbin products. It would be nice to improve the longer range comfort, so that is a motivator for me.

That said, I have lived with the stock seat for this long, but yes, considering a change.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
This is the only thing I will use on my leather boots from now on, until something better comes along I guess. The proprietor of the brand claims that mink oil and other synthetics, while waterproofing leather temporarily, actually break down the fibers and shorten the life of the product. While I can’t speak on behalf of that claim, I can say that this stuff works wonders and I love it. The Heavy Duty LP here is best used for work boots and such, it’s pretty thick, greasy stuff. They also make a thinner, easier to apply product that’s perfect for coats, seats, saddles, etc. I’ve yet to try that stuff out but when the time comes to treat my jacket and seat I’ll be picking up a bottle for sure.

Made in Idaho, all natural!!

*This WILL darken brown leather, and it has a very distinct honey-like aroma to it from the propolis. Personally, I like the deep dark hue it gives to my boots and like the scent quite well too. Probably wouldn’t affect black leather at all though.


https://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Leather-...3624&psc=1

I find with natural products that darken brown leather, eventually the original brown colour recovers - maybe in a week or two.

It does, to an extent. But not completely. Fine with me though, I like dark brown.
 
Thread starter
dbarkdoll_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
This is the only thing I will use on my leather boots from now on, until something better comes along I guess. The proprietor of the brand claims that mink oil and other synthetics, while waterproofing leather temporarily, actually break down the fibers and shorten the life of the product. While I can’t speak on behalf of that claim, I can say that this stuff works wonders and I love it. The Heavy Duty LP here is best used for work boots and such, it’s pretty thick, greasy stuff. They also make a thinner, easier to apply product that’s perfect for coats, seats, saddles, etc. I’ve yet to try that stuff out but when the time comes to treat my jacket and seat I’ll be picking up a bottle for sure.

Made in Idaho, all natural!!

*This WILL darken brown leather, and it has a very distinct honey-like aroma to it from the propolis. Personally, I like the deep dark hue it gives to my boots and like the scent quite well too. Probably wouldn’t affect black leather at all though.


https://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Leather-...3624&psc=1

I find with natural products that darken brown leather, eventually the original brown colour recovers - maybe in a week or two.

It does, to an extent. But not completely. Fine with me though, I like dark brown.

It does, to an extent. But not completely. Fine with me though, I like dark brown.
Same here, but sun UV seems to always win in the end. :dodgy:
 
Back
Top