leather jackets

offroadfx4_imp said:
Really don't care about flashy....looking for something is relatively cool (temperature wise) ;-) , water proof and offers some protection....oh and blends in with my black CB1100 ;-)

Do I want mesh, textile or what? I'm assuming leather wouldn't be very cool?

I found this on EBay looks good, don't know how cool it would be in summer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371905335692?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Roper_imp said:
Thanks! I do like the black one: http://www.klim.com/Induction-Jacket-5060-001?color=9
I wear a Joe Rocket Velocity all summer. It's goes for $129 and has back, shoulder and elbow armor. It comes with a removable water proof liner and has an inner left breast cell phone pocket which I like. Full front and back mesh so nice cooling air flow as long as you're moving and on a naked bike, lol.
 
I have 2 Joe Rockets for summer and a Tourmaster for winter and love all 3. I'm just wanting an awesome leather jacket to go with the look of the retro looking CB. I'm looking for top grain because I want the protection without the need for all those pads. Again though, I'm not talking save my squid hide because I was playing Rossi in the mountains. I just mean if I'm tooling along doing 45 in the damp after a good rain and find a slick spot type misfortune. I also like the look and feel of top grain compared to the promotional stuff. And I truly appreciate all the input.
 
Just to be clear, the armor is for impact resistance and the fabric is for abrasion resistance. It is relatively perilous to buy a lower quality leather jacket thinking that the armor will save your skin. Conversely, a heavy-duty leather jacket without armor will only provide minimal impact protection. I'm looking for that high-quality, sharp looking, leather jacket with D3O armor that I can afford. Until then, it's high-quality armored textile for me.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Just to be clear, the armor is for impact resistance and the fabric is for abrasion resistance. It is relatively perilous to buy a lower quality leather jacket thinking that the armor will save your skin. Conversely, a heavy-duty leather jacket without armor will only provide minimal impact protection. I'm looking for that high-quality, sharp looking, leather jacket with D3O armor that I can afford. Until then, it's high-quality armored textile for me.
Ebay/craigslist/forums are going to be your best bet. I've also seen some name-brand gear at Online Thrift Store For Unique & Vintage Finds | ShopGoodwill.com (you may be rolling the dice in terms of condition, though). I've seen new/like new roland sands jackets on ebay for ~100, but there are other brands (vanson, fox creek, etc) that are made of thicker leather. I've been happy with my Fox Creek; if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Just to be clear, the armor is for impact resistance and the fabric is for abrasion resistance. It is relatively perilous to buy a lower quality leather jacket thinking that the armor will save your skin. Conversely, a heavy-duty leather jacket without armor will only provide minimal impact protection. I'm looking for that high-quality, sharp looking, leather jacket with D3O armor that I can afford. Until then, it's high-quality armored textile for me.
I can tell you from personal experience that there is very little impact resistance provided by CE armor. (broken collar bone) It does, however add a layer of plastic that acts like a frame slider does for your bike. Or if you have certain brands, you get a layer of titanium. I'm talking real world, not theory. 3 crashes on the racetrack and 2 on the street.
 
sorry to hear about your personal experience and in your particular offs it may have been so, but armor IS to protect you from impact and is NOT designed to add abrasion resistance. Obviously, having a thick pad between your skin and the pavement will help protect you from road rash, but that's not why it's in your jacket. My point is, and was, that I would never buy a jacket that, by itself without armor, would not stand up to a slide and I would never bank on the armor to make up for deficiencies in the fabric.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
Really don't care about flashy....looking for something is relatively cool (temperature wise) ;-) , water proof and offers some protection....oh and blends in with my black CB1100 ;-)

Do I want mesh, textile or what? I'm assuming leather wouldn't be very cool?

I found this on EBay looks good, don't know how cool it would be in summer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371905335692?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Roper_imp said:
Thanks! I do like the black one: http://www.klim.com/Induction-Jacket-5060-001?color=9
I wear a Joe Rocket Velocity all summer. It's goes for $129 and has back, shoulder and elbow armor. It comes with a removable water proof liner and has an inner left breast cell phone pocket which I like. Full front and back mesh so nice cooling air flow as long as you're moving and on a naked bike, lol.
I wear a Joe Rocket Velocity all summer. It's goes for $129 and has back, shoulder and elbow armor. It comes with a removable water proof liner and has an inner left breast cell phone pocket which I like. Full front and back mesh so nice cooling air flow as long as you're moving and on a naked bike, lol.
I ordered one of these today, thanks for the tip!

Hopefully it's cool enough I will wear it every time,

I know it's not as protective as others, like leather with amour, but it's better than what I've been wearing ;-)
 
I have to agree with ferret, Fox Creek is the best leather jacket out there. Worth every penny. Love mine! :biker:

The ferret_imp said:
I wore my Fox Creek leather jacket and gauntlet deer skin gloves all day today. Not cheap at near $ 400 for the jacket and maybe $100 for the goves iirc but I just love the feel and smell of a good leather jacket. Soft, supple with the slide protection of cowhide. I do wish it had armor in shoulders and elbows, for impact protection, but it does have extra leather padding in those areas.
 
here's another issue: looking at Interstate Beretta jacket at two different sites. one site says it's made of "to grain leather" is that supposed to be top grain? the other site says it's made of full grain leather. I doubt that. full grain is the highest grade there is. if it's made of full grain leather and on sale for under $200, I'm buying it.

wait a minute, it's cheap because it doesn't have any of those nifty pads in it that will protect you from your buddy beating you with a frying pan!!!

Video trauma test - d3o advanced motorcycle armour vs. conventional thick foam
 
jimgl3_imp said:
here's another issue: looking at Interstate Beretta jacket at two different sites. one site says it's made of "to grain leather" is that supposed to be top grain? the other site says it's made of full grain leather. I doubt that. full grain is the highest grade there is. if it's made of full grain leather and on sale for under $200, I'm buying it.

wait a minute, it's cheap because it doesn't have any of those nifty pads in it that will protect you from your buddy beating you with a frying pan!!!

Video trauma test - d3o advanced motorcycle armour vs. conventional thick foam
https://www.milwaukeemotorcycleclothing.com/apparel/mens/jackets/interstate-leather-beretta-jacket

Says in this ad that it's 1.1-1.3mm. Most of the jackets mentioned here as 'high quality' are 1.4-1.6mm or thicker. Still, nice looking jacket for $120.

By the way, your post about d30 is 7 years old and mentions that they were already developing thicker versions. Besides which, the "test" did indicate that D3O did significantly reduce the impact of the impact, so to speak.
 
true, very true. since we are hashing it all out, so to speak, the back protector was first conceived by racer, Barry Sheene. it was not designed with impact in mind at all. it was designed to keep your back from bending backward. he bolted or riveted (not sure which) a bunch of helmet visors together in a way that, when worn under leathers, they allowed your back to bend only forward. he sold the idea to Dainese.

Dainese puts titanium "sliders" on the shoulders, elbows, etc. because they permit a glancing blow, so to speak, when you impact the pavement. my collarbone broke because the Alpinestars I was wearing had a rubber type shoulder and it gripped the pavement like a tire when I hit and snap! Had I been wearing Dianese, it may have been a glancing blow and may not have broken the bone.

It's all a matter of what you hit and how you hit it.
 
For classic styling. Goldtop is pretty good and affordable. Lewis leather has some nice stuff but they aren't as flexible when it comes to alterations and customization (besides fit of course), also expensive, and I had nothing but headaches with their westway boots.
 
I have a Schott 541, which is the slimmer version of the 141 cafe racer style if memory serves me correctly. I like that it has a nice old school look, thick steerhide, robust zippers on wrists and front and that it feels like it's very high quality. No pockets for armour, around $650 USD cost and shorter arms than I would like are the drawbacks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Maybe somebody already mentioned this, but fleabay and other sites / sources for quality used leather gear is a definite option. I'm seeing prices 1/3 the cost of retail for some really good gear. I put my Daniese (jacket) up for sale and even at 1/3 the new price, it did not sell. Took it off the market and back into my collection of riding gear ('cause I got the great and wonderful and uber cool to own and ride and enjoy fantastic CB1100 in my stable now).

So far, my gear buying has actually been "used". Some of it is still brand new, tags and all (didn't fit the former owners correctly) and I've been pretty happy with this approach. Saved a small fortune.
 
TINK_imp said:
I have to agree with ferret, Fox Creek is the best leather jacket out there. Worth every penny. Love mine! :biker:

The ferret_imp said:
I wore my Fox Creek leather jacket and gauntlet deer skin gloves all day today. Not cheap at near $ 400 for the jacket and maybe $100 for the goves iirc but I just love the feel and smell of a good leather jacket. Soft, supple with the slide protection of cowhide. I do wish it had armor in shoulders and elbows, for impact protection, but it does have extra leather padding in those areas.
Heck, Fox Creek is local to me , thanks for the tip. Gonna go check them out tomorrow.
 
"Dress for the crash, not the ride". That being said I still like my clothes, regardless of what I'm doing to look a certain way. While I have a couple of armored jackets my favorite by far to ride with when the weather is appropriate (cool to cold) is a heavy duty wax bomber I purchased in the UK in the early 90's.

I'll be in Scotland and Ireland in September and have three goals in mind. Buy a British riding jacket (wax...Belstaff etc.) in the traditional style. Visit Glenmorangie distillery (again). Lastly and probably most important, to have a pint in Cohan's Pub (featured in The Quiet Man).

If any of our UK regulars can point me to a good source for the jackets around Edinburgh or Dublin I would really appreciate the assist.
 
Frulk_imp said:
"Dress for the crash, not the ride". That being said I still like my clothes, regardless of what I'm doing to look a certain way. While I have a couple of armored jackets my favorite by far to ride with when the weather is appropriate (cool to cold) is a heavy duty wax bomber I purchased in the UK in the early 90's.

I'll be in Scotland and Ireland in September and have three goals in mind. Buy a British riding jacket (wax...Belstaff etc.) in the traditional style. Visit Glenmorangie distillery (again). Lastly and probably most important, to have a pint in Cohan's Pub (featured in The Quiet Man).

If any of our UK regulars can point me to a good source for the jackets around Edinburgh or Dublin I would really appreciate the assist.
Frulk, welcome to Ireland! :)
The default bike shop here is bikeworld.ie. They have much more in stock than listed on their site.
LMK know if you need more info
 
Back
Top