leather jackets

jimgl353_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
is there such thing as an affordable leather motorcycle jacket that is worth owning? sure, there are lots of what I have come to understand are known as "promotional grade" leather jackets made of the stuff that lies beneath the graded leather that you actually want your jacket made of, but the difference in price is substantial. $150 vs. around $400+ It's just crazy.
 
My jacket was $250 on sale, normally $325ish. The difference is that it doesn't offer armor pockets.
 
Two thoughts -- First, you get what you pay for. I've owned my "expensive" Hein Gericke V-Pilot since 1994 and it's still in excellent, as-new condition. A cheaper jacket probably wouldn't have survived. And after about a month, I didn't miss the money. That being said, if you're amenable, there are tons of used Vanson, Bates, Z-Leathers, Dianese, etc. jackets available from folks who have stopped riding. You can find one on Craigslist or eBay, buy it for a song (like $50), have it professionally cleaned, and you'll be good to go.
 
jimgl353_imp said:
is there such thing as an affordable leather motorcycle jacket that is worth owning? sure, there are lots of what I have come to understand are known as "promotional grade" leather jackets made of the stuff that lies beneath the graded leather that you actually want your jacket made of, but the difference in price is substantial. $150 vs. around $400+ It's just crazy.
No. There are good reasons for owning a leather motorcycle jacket, but those have nothing to do with economics.

This is posted only so that it be known that there are those who believe today's polyamide and similar synthetic fabrics are much better then leather for average mix of motorcycle riding conditions.
 
I bought my first leather jacket from Bristol in Montreal for $35 in 1966. That was the same cost of a Bell helmet at the time. I wore it for 23 years, and gave it to my younger brother when I stopped riding in 1989. He still has it.

When I returned to motorcycling in 2014 I bought my second Bristol leather jacket for $240 plus sales taxes. That's twice what a Bell 500 helmet would cost here now. But if I ever fall off, I know it will save my skin. It's heavy leather took a summer of wind and sun to become soft and pliable. It probably will be around when I am gone.
 
I'm a Vanson fan and am glad I spent the money but I believe Hudson makes a good lower priced protective leather jacket. eBay and Craigslist can work also if you know what you are looking for Vanson and Schott-wise.
 
I have a Roland Sands that I like a lot. Not cheap though. I also like the Icon leathers. There are affordable leather jackets that are worth owning...for a night on the town. Or a GQ photo shoot. For protection quality leather and a jacket that is armor ready, it gets expensive, but I would say any amount of money into safety equipment is worth it.
 
Thread starter
thanks for all the input, well I do take exception to the skin graft thing... my joe rocket textile jacket protects me just fine for $99 thanks to the ce armor. apples and oranges. I don't ride like a squid. On the racetrack I wear $1000 full leathers, $200 leather gloves, $300 leather boots. thank you though for your comment.
 
I wore my Fox Creek leather jacket and gauntlet deer skin gloves all day today. Not cheap at near $ 400 for the jacket and maybe $100 for the goves iirc but I just love the feel and smell of a good leather jacket. Soft, supple with the slide protection of cowhide. I do wish it had armor in shoulders and elbows, for impact protection, but it does have extra leather padding in those areas.
 
In 1981 I got my first leather, an Excelled 'Cycle King' style jacket. It cost me $100.00. I wore that jacket all the way up to 2006 when I wrecked my Kawi Z1000. I was doing 65 - 70 mph, highsided and skidded Evel Knievel style up the road for 30 or 40 yards. The bike was totaled and everything I was wearing was shredded, including the jacket.

After the road rash on my right hand, Losing that jacket was the worst part about the accident. Loss of the bike was third.

I'll say this though, that jacket saved far more than $100.00 worth of my skin. Excelled is long gone but the exact jackets are available in decent shape on eBay...for around $100.00.

I got another one as soon as I started riding again because they're available at a decent price and have proven (at least to me) their value in an actual accident.
 
A high quality textile jacket will save your skin better than an average quality leather jacket. At least that's what I've read. You're going to have to go north of $300 to get a decent quality leather jacket and, as you can see from previous posts, $400+ is more likely. I've heard great things about Vanson and Fox Creek as well as Roland Sands. I can't afford any of those at the moment, so I wear either a Joe Rocket or an Olympia textile and CE-armored jacket and Olympia textile and CE-armored pants.
 
I'm an old fart and set in my ways. Leather beats everything else even if it isn't waterproof.
Better cowhide than my hide.
 
hb9400_imp said:
I'll throw my 2 cents worth in. For my $ the Joe Rocket Classic 92 jacket has been the best leather jacket I've owned so far. In the summer it's just too hot in the south but for the rest of the year it's fabulous.

http://www.joerocket.com/leather-jackets-2/classic-92
My wife has that jacket. I bought it for her on clearance for $130. For that price, it is a great jacket. I did buy all the extra ce pads for it as well. The fact that it comes with a cold weather liner is nice.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
What is the best summer jacket with shoulder, elbow and spine protection?

Best by what metrics?

I really like my Dainese cruiser jacket. Some others may want something more flashy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Really don't care about flashy....looking for something is relatively cool (temperature wise) ;-) , water proof and offers some protection....oh and blends in with my black CB1100 ;-)

Do I want mesh, textile or what? I'm assuming leather wouldn't be very cool?

I found this on EBay looks good, don't know how cool it would be in summer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371905335692?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Roper_imp said:
Thanks! I do like the black one: http://www.klim.com/Induction-Jacket-5060-001?color=9
 
It gets pretty hot in the summer where I live and I figured leather would be too much. I couldn't afford 2 jackets at the time so I bought a British RST Ventilator III jacket. They're up to about Model V now. See https://www.rst-moto.com/rst-pro-series-ventilator-iv-wp-jacket.html

It's mesh with a zip in waterproof liner and a zip in thermal liner. You can wear all three or just the jacket with either one of the liners or just the jacket which makes it pretty versatile from summer through to winter. It's got shoulder, elbow and back armour as well.
 
Back
Top