Leap Day Ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Last night it snowed really hard. Woke up to about an inch on the porch, grass etc, but the sidewalk and driveway was clear. It was supposed to get into the high 30's today so I know the roads would be good. About 1:15 I suited up and took a 93 mile round trip ride up St Rt 52, the Ohio River Scenic Byway, along the Ohio River (duh) to a little town called Aberdeen and back. Got up to about 37 degrees, the sun was out and shining brightly, it was simply a beautiful day for a ride on the 29th day of February

(click on any photo to enlarge)

Nice stretch of road, bright sun, blue skies and what appears to be puffy white clouds

003d287d9c3fb2abbe494900f56bf855.jpg


only the clouds were man made lol

ba6172a55fd3a646f69d364b8fab66a1.jpg


Speed limit plus 5 is not fast enough for some people lol

484d32b525a097aff4b9a2dff75350f3.jpg


the side with the little house is Ohio..the other side of the river is Kentucky. Hard to believe one fought for the North and one fought for the south during the Civil War. We still think people that live on the other side of the river have an accent

56b7896d1972d20b22572990cddce44b.jpg


The large Sycamore tree in the middle of the picture has a Bald Eagle's nest in it. Sometimes we see the pair nesting there, or flying nearby hunting. I didn't see them today but I did have a River Otter cross the road in front of me. First time I have ever seen one in the wild.

ad0fed098ce11ce37771526db4641d72.jpg


Competition is good, but this is a little ridiculous.. in the little town of Ripley two Dollar Stores right next to each other. Every dollar means a lot to these people in one of the poorer counties in Ohio, unfortunately the local gas station was 24 cents higher a gallon than the one 20 miles further west on the road, which was 17 cents more expensive than the one ten miles to the north. $2.49 a gallon in Ripley, $ 2.25 a gallon in Moscow, $2.08 a gallon in Amelia.

6a2f3f6c0ea4ad11b482106d70543330.jpg
 
Good stuff ferret...that pic of Rt 52 reminds me of Rt 7 on the other side of Ohio. It runs north-south along the Ohio River, which separates Ohio from the panhandle of West Virginia. One of our dairy processing plants is located in Martins Ferry Ohio, along Rt 7.
 
Thread starter
Yep very familiar with 7. When I ride out east, I stay in Marietta, and sometimes cross the river on the Sister's Ferry in Fly to ride in West Virginia and eat at the little restaurant there on the Ohio side.
 
From the snap, was Dollar General even open?

What's going to happen to both these stores if China can no longer function?

- - -

The ride must have felt satisfying.
 
Thread starter
I dont think the Dollar General is even open yet. Looked like it was just being built. Why in the world would they build it right next door to an established competitor? In another local village they are building one right across the street from an existing one. Makes no sense to me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yep very familiar with 7. When I ride out east, I stay in Marietta, and sometimes cross the river on the Sister's Ferry in Fly to ride in West Virginia and eat at the little restaurant there on the Ohio side.
I grew up in the town south of Marietta...Belpre.
 
Thread starter
I've been in Belpre. Small world.
 
Dollar Tree Inc., the parent company of the budget stores Dollar Tree and Family Dollar, said it will close 390 Family Dollar stores in 2019.

amazon really hurting them

I imagine they are building the dollar general to force the closing of yet another family dollar store
 
Back
Top