Leaking fork seals

Thread starter
Well the new fork seals have made no difference. In fact it seems to be leaking more oil now. I'll have to bite the bullet and have the legs hardchromed. I'm going to blame that swarm of grasshoppers I ran into just before they started to leak. Whatever they have inside them must be corrosive plus the fact that Honda must have waved the forks past the chrome bath as the coating is ultra thin as evidenced by the small amount of rust spots appearing between the upper and lower triple clamps. My Z1 Kawasaki has 40 year old forks on it and I have just replaced the seals as a precaution after 65000 miles......no leaks.
Also found that one of my horns stopped working at about the same time. Dang grasshoppers. Even my jacket was plastered with yellow crap from them.
 
Yet another reminder that, beautiful though they are, the build quality of the CB1100 leaves more than a little to be desired.
 
Thread starter
Checked the seal dimensions on the old seals...they were the same as the new ones. You can see in the photo where the dust seal and the oil seal rest on the chrome. It has corroded away.
 
Thread starter
Dropped off the fork tubes today. They will come back with a 7 micron layer of chrome instead of the 3 microns they currently have.
 
Anyone else replace these yet? The work involved is nothing crazy, but I'm wondering if others have gone with OEM parts, or aftermarket products.
 
Dust boots are cracking = need replacement as well, while doing seals.
Do it right or don't do it at all.
Pics upon compilation
:thumbsup:
 
I don't see any fork seal leak, just the dust boot dry cracking. If it were me I'd skip it until winter and ride.
 
I figured it wouldn't be worth doing until the seals actually go. I'm around 15,000 miles now, and I see stories of the seals going around 20+....so it may not be a long wait.

I didn't even notice until I was replacing my tires this past weekend. I'm glad that project went well!
 
Open air work space ...nice lol
 
Back
Top