Leaking fork seals

Tezza_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just noticed today that I have oil pouring out of the front fork seals. Major leak on both sides as the oil has run down as far as the brake calipers. Tried to get some new ones but the shop only had one in stock so I have to wait a few days. This happened quite suddenly and I have not been doing any crazy off road stuff. Bike has covered 32k kilometres. Anyone else replaced theirs yet?
 
No mate. After 60000 all good in the fork seal department. Oil POURING out? Both sides? Something wrong there. Keep us posted.

Cheers
I do remember though that your bike has gone down so maybe the repair work is at fault.
 
Sorry, thats right its not fork oil but Dr Dactyls special blend.
Have just given the bike a look over no leaks checked the chain and tyre pressures ready for Bright via the Omeo road should turn over 18k before I get home.
 
No problems with the CB1100, but I did have a problem with a Honda CR500 (purchased new) several years back. To make a long story short, the forks were defective and were both replaced under warranty by Honda. Raise your front wheel off the ground, grab hold of the front wheel and see if you can move it fore and aft. The relative movement between the inner and outer fork tubes should be very, very minimal, and the wheel should only move a very small amount (I am unaware of any published specifications that define the allowable amount of wheel movement). The forks have to be disassembled and measurements performed to determine if they're acceptable. If you detect any movement I suggest returning the bike to the dealer. FYI - my VFR800 has 98,000 miles on the original fork seals and they have not leaked a drop of oil (I have replaced the fork oil three times on this bike).
The fact that Motogeezer1949 had a fork tube replaced under warranty by Honda indicates that some manufacturing defects have escaped the factory.
 
The thing is, the part in the sun is the Dust Seal.

Anyway, While the forks are off, it would be a good time to install the Kawasaki fork gaitors if desired.
 
No cb of my own, but several bikes. If it is a slow leak and parts are inbound, we used to tie rags around them to contain the mess and ride cautiously... personal choice there. Also, as your leak goes from top to bottom on the forks.... check and make sure you haven't lost brake fluid. Unless there is enough fluid to correctly ID it, sometimes it is hard to tell if that drop ran down while parked or blew up while riding and dripped back down. No brakes sucks big time. Ask the side of my 86 Sportster I used to have and my collar bone...
 
jeffskar_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
Try the 35mm film trick?

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/threads/35mm-film-trick-front-fork-seal.178665/

Or if they really are that far gone, it may just be time for replacement. Does seem odd for them to go from normal to gushing oil that fast though, and on both sides.
http://www.motosport.com/product?ps...063436&device=c&matchtype={MatchType}
http://www.motosport.com/product?ps...063436&device=c&matchtype={MatchType} Nice. Didn't even know they made that. Now I can stop rifling through old family photos to pick out which negatives I don't mind wrecking.
 
Thread starter
If you are going to eventually replace fork seals on the CB I suggest you get a bike shop to do them. I picked up some new seals today but found that to install them easily you need a special tool. The problem is that the lower fork leg has to be attached to the fork tube before the seals are pressed in. there is a guide bushing and a back up ring under the seal and it really hard to get them back into the lower leg. They have to be pressed in dead straight of they will not seat correctly. I am going to make up something tomorrow as the bike is currently sitting on a jack with no front wheel so no going to bike shop. If you get a chance I suggest dropping the fork legs down through the lower tree and check there is no corrosion on the chrome. when I removed mine there is a patch where water/rust from the lower tree has eaten the chrome plating away. Spray lots of water dispersent in this spot as it seems to get rusty.
[/b]
 
Tezza_imp said:
If you are going to eventually replace fork seals on the CB I suggest you get a bike shop to do them. I picked up some new seals today but found that to install them easily you need a special tool. The problem is that the lower fork leg has to be attached to the fork tube before the seals are pressed in. there is a guide bushing and a back up ring under the seal and it really hard to get them back into the lower leg. They have to be pressed in dead straight of they will not seat correctly. I am going to make up something tomorrow as the bike is currently sitting on a jack with no front wheel so no going to bike shop. If you get a chance I suggest dropping the fork legs down through the lower tree and check there is no corrosion on the chrome. when I removed mine there is a patch where water/rust from the lower tree has eaten the chrome plating away. Spray lots of water dispersent in this spot as it seems to get rusty.
[/b]

Spray a little of [url=http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm]this stuff in that area. Stops it dead.

Cheers
 
I did the fork seals on my Nighthawk a few years back. Instead of spending big bucks on seal and bushing drivers, I made my own out of some PVC pipe and a U-bolt.

The best video I've ever seen on fork seal replacement is this one from Delboy's Garage. It covers everything you need to know, including how to make the seal/bushing drivers.

 
My zrx used to go through fork seals, for obvious reasons. My CB keeps the front wheel on the ground so they should last longer.
 
I too have replaced a lot of fork seals. For me, the most difficult part is getting the correct amount of fluid back into the tubes....:)
 
Back
Top