Larger tank on 2013 model?

dennylee11_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have a great 2013 model and may, in a year or so, put a Hannigan Sprint sidecar on. Will the larger tank from a 2014 model fit with no mods? Is there a 5 gallon tank available anywhere - Japan?
This bike would make an excellent tug for a sidecar rig - except for the small tank. Thoughts? Suggestions?
 
Denny yes the 2014 tank will fit and should net you 4.7 gals

No 5 gal or larger tanks available I am aware of. You could always mount an auxiliary tank with fuel pump like the IBA guys do I suppose.

What significance does the tank size have for pulling a side car rig? (sorry don't know..does it make it use more gas?)
 
Thread starter
Ferret
Yes, my guess is with a sidecar rig I'll be fortunate to get 35 mpg. Which - with my current tank - gives me about 100-110 mile range. Not terrible, but 150 would be more comforting. I'll carry a spare 2 gallon can in the rig just in case. So what would a larger tank cost - color matched to my red?
 
The 14 tanks and 13 tanks are different reds. Fortunately the are close and the only red on the 13 is the tank, so any color tank you put on there will be the only color on the bike.
 
That side car has a trunk which can accommodate a 2 or 5 gal gas can with a large funnel. I would think the extra .5 would be a waste of money for a extra 20 miles. Just my thoughts.
 
CIP57_imp said:
That side car has a trunk which can accommodate a 2 or 5 gal gas can with a large funnel. I would think the extra .5 would be a waste of money for a extra 20 miles. Just my thoughts.

Cip makes a great point. A new tank will run over $500 bucks I would think, for very little gain in range. For the few times you might really need the extended range, even a 1 gallon gas can would be better by 1/2 gallon.
 
I've still yet to see a 2014 DLX up close and will admit the thought would cross my mind if I liked the larger tank. Filling up for gas isn't what I look forward to when riding but yes agree it's not really practical. Sometimes it isn't the point, we like what we like regardless. Same thing with the color, the red of the 2013 is what first caught my eye but I have grown very attached to the white offered in other places.
 
dennylee11_imp said:
I have a great 2013 model and may, in a year or so, put a Hannigan Sprint sidecar on. Will the larger tank from a 2014 model fit with no mods? Is there a 5 gallon tank available anywhere - Japan?
This bike would make an excellent tug for a sidecar rig - except for the small tank. Thoughts? Suggestions?
My 2 cents worth: Yes, the 2014 tank will mount the same, but if you look at the Honda parts diagram the fuel pumps, gasket shape and how they mount look different and the part numbers are different. My guess is you may have to spring for the fuel pump as well as the tank?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Denny yes the 2014 tank will fit and should net you 4.7 gals

No 5 gal or larger tanks available I am aware of. You could always mount an auxiliary tank with fuel pump like the IBA guys do I suppose.

What significance does the tank size have for pulling a side car rig? (sorry don't know..does it make it use more gas?)
hello the ferret
I just read this post, and for you it is possible to mount the new tank the ex cb 1100 on the 2013 model.
I asked Honda France, it tells me that it's not possible.
Please can you give me the source of this information?
Has someone already made the change?
thank you
didier
 
Didier, I thought several members had mounted the EX tanks, bought from Samurider of Japan, on their bikes. Maybe I am mistaken. I'm sure they will chime in and let us know. Did Honda France say why they thought the tank would not fit? I know several members have put 14 seats and side covers on their 13s
 
The ferret_imp said:
Didier, I thought several members had mounted the EX tanks, bought from Samurider of Japan, on their bikes. Maybe I am mistaken. I'm sure they will chime in and let us know. Did Honda France say why they thought the tank would not fit? I know several members have put 14 seats and side covers on their 13s
I don't recall anyone on here mounting a '14 DLX tank on a '13 model (of course I could be wrong).

I think KennyB may have hit on the issue in his post above. The '14 DLX uses a different fuel pump and as I recall, the fuel pressure requirement for the DLX was substantially higher than the '13 model. It doesn't look like a '13 fuel pump would mount directly to the DLX tank and the question would be, what would happen if you used the higher pressure DLX pump on a '13 fuel system? I'm pretty much a carb guy when it comes to fuel systems, so I wouldn't venture a guess as to whether or not it would make a difference, but it sounds like an expensive experiment :P
 
Ahhh thanks for the correction Flynrider. I was thinking about the fit and not about the fuel pump. I also agree a gas can for $2 stashed in the hack, or a couple of those fuel bottles ADV riders use, would be a better alternative than a tank for $600.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Didier, I thought several members had mounted the EX tanks, bought from Samurider of Japan, on their bikes. Maybe I am mistaken. I'm sure they will chime in and let us know. Did Honda France say why they thought the tank would not fit? I know several members have put 14 seats and side covers on their 13s
I don't recall anyone on here mounting a '14 DLX tank on a '13 model (of course I could be wrong).

I think KennyB may have hit on the issue in his post above. The '14 DLX uses a different fuel pump and as I recall, the fuel pressure requirement for the DLX was substantially higher than the '13 model. It doesn't look like a '13 fuel pump would mount directly to the DLX tank and the question would be, what would happen if you used the higher pressure DLX pump on a '13 fuel system? I'm pretty much a carb guy when it comes to fuel systems, so I wouldn't venture a guess as to whether or not it would make a difference, but it sounds like an expensive experiment :P
I don't recall anyone on here mounting a '14 DLX tank on a '13 model (of course I could be wrong).

I think KennyB may have hit on the issue in his post above. The '14 DLX uses a different fuel pump and as I recall, the fuel pressure requirement for the DLX was substantially higher than the '13 model. It doesn't look like a '13 fuel pump would mount directly to the DLX tank and the question would be, what would happen if you used the higher pressure DLX pump on a '13 fuel system? I'm pretty much a carb guy when it comes to fuel systems, so I wouldn't venture a guess as to whether or not it would make a difference, but it sounds like an expensive experiment :P
I understood the 13 and 14 dlx to have the same engine (same displacement, same horsepower, etc). Why would one need "substantially" higher fuel pressure?
 
Dakota_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Didier, I thought several members had mounted the EX tanks, bought from Samurider of Japan, on their bikes. Maybe I am mistaken. I'm sure they will chime in and let us know. Did Honda France say why they thought the tank would not fit? I know several members have put 14 seats and side covers on their 13s
I don't recall anyone on here mounting a '14 DLX tank on a '13 model (of course I could be wrong).

I think KennyB may have hit on the issue in his post above. The '14 DLX uses a different fuel pump and as I recall, the fuel pressure requirement for the DLX was substantially higher than the '13 model. It doesn't look like a '13 fuel pump would mount directly to the DLX tank and the question would be, what would happen if you used the higher pressure DLX pump on a '13 fuel system? I'm pretty much a carb guy when it comes to fuel systems, so I wouldn't venture a guess as to whether or not it would make a difference, but it sounds like an expensive experiment :P
I don't recall anyone on here mounting a '14 DLX tank on a '13 model (of course I could be wrong).

I think KennyB may have hit on the issue in his post above. The '14 DLX uses a different fuel pump and as I recall, the fuel pressure requirement for the DLX was substantially higher than the '13 model. It doesn't look like a '13 fuel pump would mount directly to the DLX tank and the question would be, what would happen if you used the higher pressure DLX pump on a '13 fuel system? I'm pretty much a carb guy when it comes to fuel systems, so I wouldn't venture a guess as to whether or not it would make a difference, but it sounds like an expensive experiment :P
I understood the 13 and 14 dlx to have the same engine (same displacement, same horsepower, etc). Why would one need "substantially" higher fuel pressure?
They have the same engine, but Honda changed the fuel system on the DLX/EX for some reason. That was one of the quirks noticed when the shop manual was published this year. The DLX also requires different amounts of fluid for each front fork, while the STD model uses the same in each. I don't think anyone has figured out the reason for that one either.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Didier, I thought several members had mounted the EX tanks, bought from Samurider of Japan, on their bikes. Maybe I am mistaken. I'm sure they will chime in and let us know. Did Honda France say why they thought the tank would not fit? I know several members have put 14 seats and side covers on their 13s
I don't recall anyone on here mounting a '14 DLX tank on a '13 model (of course I could be wrong).

I think KennyB may have hit on the issue in his post above. The '14 DLX uses a different fuel pump and as I recall, the fuel pressure requirement for the DLX was substantially higher than the '13 model. It doesn't look like a '13 fuel pump would mount directly to the DLX tank and the question would be, what would happen if you used the higher pressure DLX pump on a '13 fuel system? I'm pretty much a carb guy when it comes to fuel systems, so I wouldn't venture a guess as to whether or not it would make a difference, but it sounds like an expensive experiment :P
I don't recall anyone on here mounting a '14 DLX tank on a '13 model (of course I could be wrong).

I think KennyB may have hit on the issue in his post above. The '14 DLX uses a different fuel pump and as I recall, the fuel pressure requirement for the DLX was substantially higher than the '13 model. It doesn't look like a '13 fuel pump would mount directly to the DLX tank and the question would be, what would happen if you used the higher pressure DLX pump on a '13 fuel system? I'm pretty much a carb guy when it comes to fuel systems, so I wouldn't venture a guess as to whether or not it would make a difference, but it sounds like an expensive experiment :P
I understood the 13 and 14 dlx to have the same engine (same displacement, same horsepower, etc). Why would one need "substantially" higher fuel pressure?
They have the same engine, but Honda changed the fuel system on the DLX/EX for some reason. That was one of the quirks noticed when the shop manual was published this year. The DLX also requires different amounts of fluid for each front fork, while the STD model uses the same in each. I don't think anyone has figured out the reason for that one either.
Just for refill (different hold back of old oil) or also for first fill?

I know this already from my BMW K1100. There is pull damping cartridge on one side, push damping on the other side. They have a different hold back of oil, when you drain it for oil change.
 
dennylee11_imp said:
I have a great 2013 model and may, in a year or so, put a Hannigan Sprint sidecar on. Will the larger tank from a 2014 model fit with no mods? Is there a 5 gallon tank available anywhere - Japan?
This bike would make an excellent tug for a sidecar rig - except for the small tank. Thoughts? Suggestions?
hello, here is the answer Mr. Takashi Takase samurider.
You can mount the tank of 17.5 liters in place of 14.6 liters (cb 1100 2013)

Thank you very much for your inquiry.
Regards to your question, the CB1100EX tank can fit the 2013 CB1100.
Unit Price: 83000yen
Shipping: 11500yen
Total Price: 94500Yen / approx 700Euros.

*not include tax in France.
*approx 1-2 weeks to your door in France.

Fuel Tanks | Samurider.com

I will send you an invoice through PayPal, if you agree with that.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Takashi Takase


-----Samurider.Com------

yourbase.llc 4-11-13 Ebisu Shibuya- Tokyo Japan 1500013
E: contact@samurider.com
T: +813-6408-9245
F: +813-6408-9246
Samurider.com | Worldwide Shipping Japanese Motorcycle Parts
Facebook
 
magic_imp said:
dennylee11_imp said:
I have a great 2013 model and may, in a year or so, put a Hannigan Sprint sidecar on. Will the larger tank from a 2014 model fit with no mods? Is there a 5 gallon tank available anywhere - Japan?
This bike would make an excellent tug for a sidecar rig - except for the small tank. Thoughts? Suggestions?
hello, here is the answer Mr. Takashi Takase samurider.
You can mount the tank of 17.5 liters in place of 14.6 liters (cb 1100 2013)

Thank you very much for your inquiry.
Regards to your question, the CB1100EX tank can fit the 2013 CB1100.
Unit Price: 83000yen
Shipping: 11500yen
Total Price: 94500Yen / approx 700Euros.

*not include tax in France.
*approx 1-2 weeks to your door in France.

Fuel Tanks | Samurider.com

I will send you an invoice through PayPal, if you agree with that.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Takashi Takase


-----Samurider.Com------

yourbase.llc 4-11-13 Ebisu Shibuya- Tokyo Japan 1500013
E: contact@samurider.com
T: +813-6408-9245
F: +813-6408-9246
Samurider.com | Worldwide Shipping Japanese Motorcycle Parts
Facebook
hello, here is the answer Mr. Takashi Takase samurider.
You can mount the tank of 17.5 liters in place of 14.6 liters (cb 1100 2013)

Thank you very much for your inquiry.
Regards to your question, the CB1100EX tank can fit the 2013 CB1100.
Unit Price: 83000yen
Shipping: 11500yen
Total Price: 94500Yen / approx 700Euros.

*not include tax in France.
*approx 1-2 weeks to your door in France.

Fuel Tanks | Samurider.com

I will send you an invoice through PayPal, if you agree with that.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Takashi Takase


-----Samurider.Com------

yourbase.llc 4-11-13 Ebisu Shibuya- Tokyo Japan 1500013
E: contact@samurider.com
T: +813-6408-9245
F: +813-6408-9246
Samurider.com | Worldwide Shipping Japanese Motorcycle Parts
Facebook
The larger tank will fit and the 13' fuel pump will bolt right up to the 14' tank. The fuel pressure spec for both systems is 50 psi at idle. The fuel flow rates are: 13' 9.8 us oz./10 sec. and 14' 13.3 us oz./10 sec. I'm not sure why? Injectors are the same, cams are the same, etc. unless it has to do with tank volume. The physical shape of the fuel pumps are different with different pick-ups for the sending unit so I'm not sure how the fuel gauge will read.
 
Back
Top