Lane splitting (sharing) interview

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
So as many of you know I was involved in a hit and run accident on Memorial day Friday on my way home from work 2 years ago. I am going to be interviewed by the local NBC station next Friday about that experience and my thoughts about the bill that is going through he CA legislature to codify exactly what lane splitting is and that it is most definitely legal here.
Being a transplant from Illinois 8 years ago with 25 years of riding under my belt gives me a good perspective from both sides of the idea of lane splitting in that it is COMPLETELY frowned upon outside of CA and here, for the most part, I witness people making room for riders doing it. There are the few that still think that it's wrong and actively try to block you, but in my experience those people are few and far between.
Hopefully I will be able to either get a copy of the interview, or maybe even a link to it somewhere after it airs.
 
Cool Randy, should be interesting. Not sure where I come down on this. I know when I was driving out there in a car lane splitters scared the absolute beejeesus out of me when they would come blasting by inches from the side of the car. If I saw them coming in the rear view and got prepared for it, it wasn't as bad, but still unnerving to have someone so close to your elbow.

But also after being in that traffic I can understand why motorcyclists are in favor of it. The traffic I was in was absolutely nuts, 105 degrees bumper to bumper for hours it seemed.

I've heard the safety stats and not sure I agree with them, but can't prove that they are wrong either. Personally I would be more afraid of being tagged from the side as you were, than being rear ended.

Either way it doesn't affect me because I don't live there, when I did ride out there I didn't do it because I didn't feel comfortable doing it, but who knows, maybe if I did live there I would get used to it.

At any rate looking forward to the interview. if we can't see it, maybe you can get a transcript we can read.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Cool Randy, should be interesting. Not sure where I come down on this. I know when I was driving out there in a car lane splitters scared the absolute beejeesus out of me when they would come blasting by inches from the side of the car. If I saw them coming in the rear view and got prepared for it, it wasn't as bad, but still unnerving to have someone so close to your elbow.

But also after being in that traffic I can understand why motorcyclists are in favor of it. The traffic I was in was absolutely nuts, 105 degrees bumper to bumper for hours it seemed.

I've heard the safety stats and not sure I agree with them, but can't prove that they are wrong either. Personally I would be more afraid of being tagged from the side as you were, than being rear ended.

Either way it doesn't affect me because I don't live there, when I did ride out there I didn't do it because I didn't feel comfortable doing it, but who knows, maybe if I did live there I would get used to it.

At any rate looking forward to the interview. if we can't see it, maybe you can get a transcript we can read.
Just check out the number of videos on Youtube with motorcycles being rear ended and it might change your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorcycle+rear+ended

I wasn't something that I thought about before the accident, but now I ACTIVELY watch the vehicles the come up behind be at a stoplight and I tend to give them the stink eye when I feel that they get too close.
I'm not in a car and I don't have a bumper, yet they still want to get as close as they can not even thinking about what "could" happen if the person behind them doesn't stop.
 
So in NSW you can do it legally to pass stationary or slow moving vehicles as long as the motorcycle does not exceed 18 mph.

18 mph? Californians would get a good laugh at that one

Again, I am not against it, neither are my for it. I am in the I'm not sure which way I think phase, and have been for quite some time.

If done as Ptero says is legal in NSW I believe I would probably be for it. From what I saw in Cali with bikes passing at 40-50 mph I'm not so sure.

Btw I have seen the same thing done here ( bikes passing at 40-50 mph or more) where it is totally illegal.
 
Thread starter
Well the proposed law that is basically setting the rules would basically leave things as the status quo for the most part, but limit the passing speed to something like a 15 MPH differential. That to me seems a bit too fast and 5 mph makes more sense in my mind, but that is what they are going with.
So splitting up to "the speed limit" will still be allowed if it passes, and as of right now there has been no opposition to the bill as written.

CA AB 51 is the proposed bill.
 
It's legal where I live in Queensland and I'm trying to get better at doing it. Frankly, I often avoid it in bad traffic, but it's handy on the freeway when traffic has stopped and you're allowed to get on the shoulder.

I hope we get to hear the interview Randy.
 
Looking forward to seeing the interview, Randy.

My position on this, as if anyone asked, is this: we expect cars to stay in their lanes and not enter into our "safety zone". Why should we be allowed to enter theirs? We are not lane splitting, we are lane SHARING since at least some part of our bike is overlapping the "neutral zone" of the white line. We would NEVER support a rule that would allow a car to take any part of our lane in order for that car to move through traffic faster. Lane split at your own risk (to an accident or to a ticket) just like you exceed the posted speed limit, even by 1 mph, at your own risk.
 
Interesting discussion. Like the ferret, I'm not really sure where I stand on this subject. They've tried to change the laws here in Oregon which would allow for lane splitting and that effort was unsuccessful. The subject will surely come up again. As a motorcyclist I can see this being tempting when cars are basically at a standstill on the freeway, but much beyond that I start to have some issues as a motorist.

Here in Portland, we have a lot of bicyclists (I'm one of them at times) and the city has bent over backwards to accommodate them. Sometimes to extremes that defy common sense — a while back some state representatives were attempting to change the rules so that bicyclists are not required to stop at stop signs (most don't anyway, but that's a different matter) under certain circumstances. I'll add that when staying on the surface streets while commuting I've actually had more close encounters with bicycles than I have had with cars. if I take the freeway, that of course changes things.

A lot of problems seem to be caused by the fact that bicyclists have the right of way through an intersection on the right side of the traffic lane regardless if there is a bike line there or not. Seemingly countless number of bicyclists have assumed that the motorist to their left has seen them only to end running into (or being run over by) a vehicle turning to the right. Either way, it generally ends pretty badly for the person on the bicycle. It also can be pretty nerve-wracking for the motorists who are attempting to avoid such encounters.

As someone who rides both bicycles and motorcycles I am keenly aware of the need to be cognizant of the presence of others who do the same. Even though I'm constantly keeping an eye out for those on two wheels, I still find it very challenging to remain aware of their presence at all times. Any law that results in another person sharing a lane with me in close proximity only adds to the difficulty of trying to avoid an accident. While I can understand the desire to lane split and the time savings it provides as a motorcyclist, I can also understand the problems this can create for motorists — especially when those who are lane splitting are abusing the law at speeds beyond that allowed which is surely inevitable.

Tough issue and one that I might possibly be dealing with myself (both one two wheels and four) soon enough.
 
Thread starter
It's about more than just time savings, but that's what most drivers focus on because they feel they are getting cheated somehow because they are being "cut in front of". What they are putting together in their minds is that motorcycle that is "out of the lane" is allowing you to be that much closer to your destination. And if at a stoplight it takes the risk of a rear end collision almost completely out of the picture for that guy on the bike. For me this is the most important part of it. I can't get it through my brain just how close people want to get to the back of my bike when I'm sitting at a stoplight. If I didn't stop them they would get within an inch of me....I'm sure of it.
There are good and bad things about it, as with anything. I personally believe that the risk is worth it because the benefits for everyone, not just the riders, greatly outweighs the negatives.
There will always be collisions so long as humans drive vehicles. That is just a fact. The best way to reduce the number of collisions is to increase the awareness of every driver on the road. I know, that is never going to happen, but that is what needs to happen to make the roads safer.
 
Of course if such a law were to pass here in Oregon, we would be more or less starting from scratch when it comes to awareness — not counting those folks who have moved here from California. I would guess that initially, there would be good chance that the odds of a motorcyclist colliding with someone swerving to prevent them from splitting lanes would probably be much higher than the motorcyclist being hit from behind. Ugh.
 
The new lane splitting law before the CA legislature for enactment was drafted by the CHP. It limits the motorcyclist's speed, while lane splitting, to 30 mph. I hope they enforce that speed limit. To go any faster is inherently dangerous. However, the law falls short in other respects for safety sake.

I think the most dangerous thing about lane splitting as commonly practiced today, is when passing another rider that is NOT lane splitting. "If" the latter is not watching his RVM(s) intently - inherently dangerous in itself - and fails to notice (or hear) the other rider approaching from behind, but then suddenly starts lane splitting himself, that's an accident waiting to happen!!!

Imho, this is the #1 reason to have a LOUD exhaust! Which also warns cagers to "yield" the corridor between lanes of traffic to motorcycles approaching from the rear.
 
LongRanger, I believe both terms have the same meaning.

Btw, my younger Brother lives in Evergreen too. Nice place to live. 8,000 feet above sea level, right?
 
dsinned_imp said:
The new lane splitting law before the CA legislature for enactment was drafted by the CHP. It limits the motorcyclist's speed, while lane splitting, to 30 mph. I hope they enforce that speed limit. To go any faster is inherently dangerous. However, the law falls short in other respects for safety sake.

I think the most dangerous thing about lane splitting as commonly practiced today, is when passing another rider that is NOT lane splitting. "If" the latter is not watching his RVM(s) intently - inherently dangerous in itself - and fails to notice (or hear) the other rider approaching from behind, but then suddenly starts lane splitting himself, that's an accident waiting to happen!!!

Imho, this is the #1 reason to have a LOUD exhaust! Which also warns cagers to "yield" the corridor between lanes of traffic to motorcycles approaching from the rear.
I'm confused by this comment. In the case of a motorcyclist splitting lanes (on the freeway, for example), does CA law now explicitly give the motorcyclist the right of way? This would surprise me.
dsinned_imp said:
LongRanger, I believe both terms have the same meaning.

Btw, my younger Brother lives in Evergreen too. Nice place to live. 8,000 feet above sea level, right?
Thanks. I thought in Europe, where filtering is allowed and expected, meant that motorcyclists are permitted to proceed to the front of the pack at a traffic signal so they can go ahead of the other vehicles when the light turns green.

Yes, sounds like the same Evergreen. I'm at about 8000', which makes for a fairly short riding season. Small world -- I grew up in the Bay Area and have a brother in Palo Alto.
 
LongRanger, the meaning of "filtering" may be different elsewhere, especially in other countries, so I am not 100% certain of its actual meaning.

As regards my earlier comment, you are correct. CA law currently does not specify any such "yielding" on the part of cars and trucks, nor that a motorcyclist has the ROW while lane splitting. That is another reason why lane splitting can be so precarious.

The future "legality" - AS A LAW - of lane splitting will be of intense interest to CB1100 riders here in CA, because we have air cooled bikes. I do it occasionally, but my rule of thumb is to go no faster than about 5 mph more than the cars around me, and only if those cars are practically at a standstill. The "new" law is proposing a 30 mph speed limit for lane splitters, but I've seen crazy motorcycle riders, usually on very loud bikes, doing it at more than the actual freeway speed limit. That's INSANE! That should be a felony offense!
 
The rules in Queensland are strict and you can travel at no more than 30 kph when filtering. That means the traffic has to be stationary or nearly so. That seems to me to be reasonable as it has to be an activity that's safe for both parties. Notwithstanding, people still do it at crazy speeds.


 
Randy B_imp said:
So as many of you know I was involved in a hit and run accident on Memorial day Friday on my way home from work 2 years ago. I am going to be interviewed by the local NBC station next Friday about that experience and my thoughts about the bill that is going through he CA legislature to codify exactly what lane splitting is and that it is most definitely legal here.
Being a transplant from Illinois 8 years ago with 25 years of riding under my belt gives me a good perspective from both sides of the idea of lane splitting in that it is COMPLETELY frowned upon outside of CA and here, for the most part, I witness people making room for riders doing it. There are the few that still think that it's wrong and actively try to block you, but in my experience those people are few and far between.
Hopefully I will be able to either get a copy of the interview, or maybe even a link to it somewhere after it airs.
Good on you, Randy. I KNOW you will give a great interview. One cannot get a sense of proportion from watching a few youtube videos. Like Randy I am in this stuff all the time, it is remarkable how many people are very courteous and move over a bit to allow me to pass through. Hardly any motorcyclists do "lane blitzing". Does it happen? Sure. Do automobile drivers speed and run stop signs? Sure they do. Some people cheat on their taxes. Most are honest, most (the VAST majority) bikers who lane share/filter/split do it responsibly.
 
Back
Top