Lake Superior 1000

Fingers crossed ole for a quick and speedy recovery
 
I hope you heal well and quickly.
I had shoulder surgery in 2008 and was into physio in under two weeks. I couldn't believe they would start it so soon, but it was the right thing to do to recover strength and range of motion.
So yes, get at the PT; work at it even if it hurts, and you'll be fine.
Good luck and have a safe trip.
 
Thread starter
Doing my knee bends religiously. It not paining much but that SOB is sure stiff. Doc said lay low today with ice or peas n carrots on it and Thursday AM start some 1/2 mile slow walks. No longer on the Vico I hate taking that crap
 
Ole_imp said:
Doing my knee bends religiously. It not paining much but that SOB is sure stiff. Doc said lay low today with ice or peas n carrots on it and Thursday AM start some 1/2 mile slow walks. No longer on the Vico I hate taking that crap
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for your efforts, but don't overdo it. You don't want any setbacks.
I was in PT for seven months to get my shoulder back at age 70. I had a motorcycle crash in the wilds of Peru in 2008. I dislocated and damaged my shoulder to the extend that I had to have shoulder replacement surgery and I'm now wearing a titanium shoulder joint.
That was a long time in PT, and I worked at it at home every day without fail (except Christmas day), but today I'm strong and as fit as a fiddle. I hardly even remember that I once had an arm that was almost useless. I have no after effects at all; no stiffness, pain or discomfort of any kind. It's as if it never happened - and that's the way I like it!.
Never give up and stick with the program. I'm living proof.
 
Thread starter
Oh baby. I may have over did it yesterday. My knee looks like it is pregnant this morn. I better lay low with the ice packs today. I will call my Doc, but can one do to many knee bends the day after surgery? I just may have.:(
 
Ole_imp said:
Oh baby. I may have over did it yesterday. My knee looks like it is pregnant this morn. I better lay low with the ice packs today. I will call my Doc, but can one do to many knee bends the day after surgery? I just may have.:(
Sorry to hear that, and that's what I was worried about when I said don't overdo it.
This may take longer than you think. The body is often slow to heal and you can't make it go any faster - just help it along with PT.
 
Thread starter
Well, I am a chompin on the bit to do this ride Friday. My Dr. appointment isn't til Wed. I don't even know 100% if Dr. is going to release me. I called him today and did a short phone consult. He thinks I will be good to go but he wanted more info on this Iron Butt. I told him I have a motel res at Sault Ste. Marie am riding the bike up Thursday 450 miles then doing 1050 miles on the quick lap of Lake Superior on Friday. On the phone he asked how do you know what your knee is going to feel like on Friday after doing the first 450 miles??

I had to think and think quick.

I told him I have a trailer I *could* trailer it up so my knee would be fresh for the big ride? So he is thinking about that scenario for a couple days and will decide Wed morn when he puts my knee through his wringer tests.

damnit I want to do this ride big time

So I went to the shed after my phone visit with Dr. and put the shackles to my beloved CB1100

How sad is this?

8848adfadb26f8f17e0d02cabe6c890e.jpg


dd260ae0ba3be7597d1e73d10b2c3bdb.jpg


c4867250542b8a5a91dd8a2fd950eb46.jpg


My wife already knows I am nuts what do you guys think?
 
Oh thats so sad. How long will it take to tow it 450 miles with a John Deer lawn tractor?
 
A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do Ole. Its not nuts, it just a testosterone thing.

I would really like to take part but have plans for that time frame. Maybe next year.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Oh thats so sad. How long will it take to tow it 450 miles with a John Deer lawn tractor?
Using my super duper new found editing skilz, the tow vehicle can be clearly seen parked in the garage. Tacoma. But I ran out of space to spell vehicle. I am so like third grade. :rofl:

76ae05f6216dd17ee16d406d5a1a6384.jpg
 
See, I had to get a separate building specifically because I did not want the John Deere tractor in with the bikes. But that is some A1 picture editing, Ole.
 
Nice tow vehicle!

Rooting for you ole. :thumbsup:
 
Ole, set some priorities and fail safe points. 1,000 mile is a lot in a day. Promise yourself if knee starts to hurt or feel strange, call it quits. No time to be a combat marine. I did not do that and am paying the price with compromised health and lifestyle.

There will be other opportunities when you get healthy and I am sure we can find some wingmen for you. Heck with enough notice I will join you. My only challenge is which bike do I take! The BMW will eat that 1,000 miles like nothing, but a 1,000 miles on a naked CB in one day is bragging rights.

So not crazy, but be wise and careful. I'm cheering for you. Heck even in two days it is a great feat.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Ole, set some priorities and fail safe points. 1,000 mile is a lot in a day. Promise yourself if knee starts to hurt or feel strange, call it quits. No time to be a combat marine. I did not do that and am paying the price with compromised health and lifestyle.

There will be other opportunities when you get healthy and I am sure we can find some wingmen for you. Heck with enough notice I will join you. My only challenge is which bike do I take! The BMW will eat that 1,000 miles like nothing, but a 1,000 miles on a naked CB in one day is bragging rights.

So not crazy, but be wise and careful. I'm cheering for you. Heck even in two days it is a great feat.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you have an accident as a result of an Iron Butt ride? If you felt like talking about it, I'd be interested in the details.
 
Ole,

Your cutting it close health wise, that knee is going to bother you especially if you stop awkward. You asked for our opinion, if it where me I would pass. I'm sure they will do this again soon and the time will be right. Hate to see you damage the work that was done.
 
Thread starter
The doctor has released me back to work and gave his OK on the bike trip. So I am going to give it a shot. If I get too much knee pain in the first couple hours, I will just turn around and head back to The Soo.

Thanks for well wishes guys.
 
Back
Top