L.A. Hipsters, Rejoice!

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
The Bike Shed is coming to the Los Angeles Arts District.

Bike Shed Motorcycle Club | Dining, Barbers & Motorcycle Clothing

The Arts District is an interesting place. Ten years ago it was a wasteland of abandoned warehouses, which have been reclaimed as loft spaces, art galleries, $9 coffee and high-end restaurants.

I look forward to going, and listening to the hipsters tell me how I ruined my Bike by putting a luggage rack on it and not wrapping the header pipes. There’s already a hip motorcycle “hangout” in the Arts District called The House of Machines.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
 
I don't know where the hipsters hang out here (if there are any). I have never seen one that I recall. We don't have the 'look at me' issues that other areas (aka big cities, or So California or New York city) seem to have. Attention hogs don't seem to get much attention. Everyone just ignores everyone else here lol
 
$ 9 for a cup of coffee ! Not for me and after this Covid 19 problem I wonder how many people look back and wish they had been more careful with their money.
 
I checked the links. Looks cool. No place here where riders go to just hang out and talk machines. Closest thing is Cycle Gear bike night. Both times I went it was a low turn out. Harley on the other hand has huge turn outs at dealer sponsored get togethers and even though I own two and the kids have them it’s not my thing. I just like bikes. Irrespective of the brand.
 
Thread starter
Quote:$ 9 for a cup of coffee ! Hey man, it's cold brewed with nitrogen, only made during a full moon, by druids. Had to try it once, just to see what the big deal was. My wife said it was the best cup of coffee she ever had, but I believe she was just justifying the cost.

It's funny. I did a lot of work in the warehouse district back in the 90s, so I've watched with interest as that part of town has transformed into the Arts District. The hipster vibe seems kind of forced, however. Like the whole area is trying to prove how cool it is.

I sort of think the planners thought "We have art spaces, lofts, organic markets, what else do we need.... Hey, I know! Cafe style motorcycles being ridden around by guys with trim beards wearing plaid shirts and checkered helmets. Yup, we need that. Put some hip motorcycle hangouts over here, and over there."
 
I like my coffee made with tap water and 78% N2, 12% or so O2 and a few trace gases ;)
 
We have a similar “arts district” in Denver. Old warehouses, light industrial, dilapidated buildings, lots of homeless. I see the same hipsters posing on their murdered-out bobbers and cafe racers — wrapped pipes, brown seats, plaid shirts, etc. Somehow it must be appealing to them, but to me, I’d rather be riding.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Folgers - classic roast is what we use daily, good taste
Peter , we use the Classic roast Folgers too , we have a lot in common , are you the brother my parents gave up for adoption ?
 
Houtman_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Folgers - classic roast is what we use daily, good taste
Peter , we use the Classic roast Folgers too , we have a lot in common , are you the brother my parents gave up for adoption ?
Peter , we use the Classic roast Folgers too , we have a lot in common , are you the brother my parents gave up for adoption ?
The best "Bike Night" I ever attended was in Asheville, NC, down in the arts district by the railroad tracks. Tons of bikes and families/kids running around and craft beer and a very laid back vibe. One more reason I want to move down there and live in Houtman's basement :celebrate:
 
With sincere apologies to Mark Knopfler-

Now look at them hipsters that's the way you do it
Ride out for coffee on your motor bike
It ain't ridin' but it's a way to do it
Pay big bucks for coffee get the chicks for free
 
Maybe if we called it FCR that would make it hip. Never mind it’s to expensive as it is . My brand also.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Folgers - classic roast is what we use daily, good taste
Peter , we use the Classic roast Folgers too , we have a lot in common , are you the brother my parents gave up for adoption ?
Peter , we use the Classic roast Folgers too , we have a lot in common , are you the brother my parents gave up for adoption ?
The best "Bike Night" I ever attended was in Asheville, NC, down in the arts district by the railroad tracks. Tons of bikes and families/kids running around and craft beer and a very laid back vibe. One more reason I want to move down there and live in Houtman's basement :celebrate:
Peter , we use the Classic roast Folgers too , we have a lot in common , are you the brother my parents gave up for adoption ?
Bob, we are friends for sure....;)
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Quote:$ 9 for a cup of coffee ! Hey man, it's cold brewed with nitrogen, only made during a full moon, by druids. Had to try it once, just to see what the big deal was. My wife said it was the best cup of coffee she ever had, but I believe she was just justifying the cost.

It's funny. I did a lot of work in the warehouse district back in the 90s, so I've watched with interest as that part of town has transformed into the Arts District. The hipster vibe seems kind of forced, however. Like the whole area is trying to prove how cool it is.

I sort of think the planners thought "We have art spaces, lofts, organic markets, what else do we need.... Hey, I know! Cafe style motorcycles being ridden around by guys with trim beards wearing plaid shirts and checkered helmets. Yup, we need that. Put some hip motorcycle hangouts over here, and over there."
Hey man, it's cold brewed with nitrogen, only made during a full moon, by druids. Had to try it once, just to see what the big deal was. My wife said it was the best cup of coffee she ever had, but I believe she was just justifying the cost.

It's funny. I did a lot of work in the warehouse district back in the 90s, so I've watched with interest as that part of town has transformed into the Arts District. The hipster vibe seems kind of forced, however. Like the whole area is trying to prove how cool it is.

I sort of think the planners thought "We have art spaces, lofts, organic markets, what else do we need.... Hey, I know! Cafe style motorcycles being ridden around by guys with trim beards wearing plaid shirts and checkered helmets. Yup, we need that. Put some hip motorcycle hangouts over here, and over there."
I'd say It's not just an LA thing but rather a trend here in the U.S.
In Miami, the Wynwood area, as well as neighboring Edgewater, Little Haiti, and Brownsville were always historically undesirable "Hood" parts of town, filled with warehouses and homelessness. After 2010, breweries, art galleries, and hipster bars started popping up left and right, then construction cranes followed, giving birth to now Wynwood Arts district. Needless to say this part of town has seen so much development in the past few years it's almost unrecognizable.

It somehow feels as if developers are able to score land(and permits) in these areas, to either build ground up or rehab abandoned buildings, and cater strictly to young millennial professionals, and since "hip" is in...

Some will call it progress, some call it gentrification... to each their own
 
In Denver, it started when Coors Field (Rockies baseball) was built in a long-neglected, blighted, high-crime area on the northern fringe of downtown in 1995. The growth and development in that area since then has been stunning and dramatic (including the grand reopening of Union Station), where it’s now one of the most desirable locations to live downtown, especially for the younger demographic. The same thing happened when Horton Plaza (shopping) and Petco Park (Padres baseball) were completed in San Diego.
 
Inhouse Bob , I am starting to convert my basement for you tomorrow , what color do you want on the walls ? It is big enough incase you want to sleep next to your bike incase Tracy is staying put.
 
I have no problem with Hipsters or with what they choose to pay for a cup of coffee. I think it's a false assumption that the riders that go to these sorts of places are there only to show off or that they rarely ride or, for that matter, that either of those things are inherently bad.

I like that places like The Bike Shed exist. We have several bike nights and other events in Chicago that cater to this segment of the motorcycle community. I attend infrequently. I like both the venues and the vibe of these events. I don't enjoy the heavy traffic I have to endure to get to the inner-city destinations.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I checked the links. Looks cool. No place here where riders go to just hang out and talk machines. Closest thing is Cycle Gear bike night. Both times I went it was a low turn out. Harley on the other hand has huge turn outs at dealer sponsored get togethers and even though I own two and the kids have them it’s not my thing. I just like bikes. Irrespective of the brand.
Well said
 
Back
Top