Knocking noises; vibrations in the handlebar; oil sipping at valve lid gasket

Welcome TheLegend.  Vibration is a topic I am very familiar with.  Particularly the higher frequency vibrations of inline fours.  Vibration affects everyone differently, so the problem may not be in the bike, but rather within our own senses.  If so, it is a characteristic that must be accepted.  

Whenever I jump on my CB1100EX, I am immediately aware of the vibration, especially compared to my Triumph Bonneville 865 and V-Strom 650s, whose lower frequency vibes do not affect me at all.  I have owned many inline fours, from 1975 CB400F, 1996 Bandit 600, 1992 Katana 750, 1997 Nighthawk 750, 2004 FZ-1, and 2013, 2014, and 2017 CB1100s - all vibrated annoyingly to me.  On longer rides, I keep looking for a taller gear to put it in. 

As far as the idle sound, I would consider it normal - large capacity air-cooled four are noisy.
 
TheLegend, pekingduck is one of the forum's legendary mechanical gurus to whom we all pay attention.

Just to add to what he's said, handlebar vibration was an oft discussed topic in the early days of the cb1100forum.com. You should find a search, using the terms 'handlebar' and 'vibration' rewarding. A sample of threads that discuss the problem are:

The CB1100 Community Forum
The CB1100 Community Forum
The CB1100 Community Forum
The CB1100 Community Forum
The CB1100 Community Forum

Good luck.
 
I just came back home from a 5000+ km trip and reviewed this thread over and over again including Legend's complaints and all responses, posts, feedback, suggestions from Max, m in sc, pekingduck and my own.
I have lots of respect for Max, m in sc, pekingduck and few others for their moto knowledge and skills, and this is why I value their judgement in diagnosis.
I also took a deep look at this beautiful RS and I don't see any tampering with its engine at all, so everything looks OEM.
I am hearing-impaired and use hearing aids daily.
I played the "noisy" audio clip placed on YT by Legend several times, increasing and decreasing the volume of my hearing aids.
The audio is being transferred to my hearing aid directly by Bluetooth, so there is no outside interference.
I played it with a few different hearing aid programs like automatic, restaurant, music and tv to get as much out of them as I could.

Then, I went to my 2014 DLX with 34,000 kms and recorded an identical video during cold start /ambient +22*C, (bike was sitting for almost 3 weeks) bringing camera/mic closer and further from the idling engine and including walking around, exactly like Legend did.
The second video I took was after riding 25 km, so the engine was fully warmed up.

I then played all three videos over and over again while I was tuning my ears and brain to the engine "noises"
Finaly, I asked my son to play all videos randomnly for few more times without telling me whether my own or Legend's was being played...... and as a few of us mentioned, I cannot hear any abnormal engine noise of this RS.
A few of us pointed out that some vibration and noises are normal characteristics of our CB1100s, and some riders may like it more or less.
Makes no sense to compare other motorcycles with the CB1100 as every bike is of a different liking and characteristic.

Legend's statement "Used, direct from owner with service book full maintenance till 8.800 now is 10.000 km....I ride it a little ; No sign of drop or accident, is Tip-Top really" indicates that this bike was ridden by Legend for about 1200 kms without any engine failure.
This is not my diagnose, as I cannot personaly touch, test and ride this beautiful RS but it is my final and best opinion I can provide so far.
One may agree or disagre in part or in whole with my or other's opinions.
Legend, please remember that before you or your mechanic starts digging in this bike, make sure you all know what you are looking for and have sufficient knowledge in taking it apart, because if you don't, the final results might be devastating to you and your bike.

Additional and general info: air cooled multi cylinder engines with multi valve per cylinder, made out of aluminium are the most noisy compared with cast iron and two valve per cylinder fluid jacket engines.
In addition, GDI / Gasoline Direct Injectioin engines add even more noise.

Legend YT:

My test #1 , engine cold, ambient +22*C, bike was parked for 3 weeks:

My test #2, engine fully warmed up and after 25 km ride:
 
Nice work, peterbaron, and generous too.
 
Legend, I hope the great info PeterBaron shared will help you with your diagnostic and find the proper response. One such response may be to accept that is just the way your motorcycle sounds and rides.

PekingDuck provided great insight about vibration on a CB1100, too. .

This thread has inspired me to start my motorcycle and compare its sound to the recordings posted on this thread. I may even drive a little more aggressively to see if I can sense a change in vibration from what I am accustomed to. :)

Have a great weekend. David
 
Mine is an old 5-speed, but there's certainly a vibration in the bars once it gets up to around 4,000 RPM.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron said:
I just came back home from a 5000+ km trip and reviewed this thread over and over again including Legend's complaints and all responses, posts, feedback, suggestions from Max, m in sc, pekingduck and my own.
I have lots of respect for Max, m in sc, pekingduck and few others for their moto knowledge and skills, and this is why I value their judgement in diagnosis.
I also took a deep look at this beautiful RS and I don't see any tampering with its engine at all, so everything looks OEM.
I am hearing-impaired and use hearing aids daily.
I played the "noisy" audio clip placed on YT by Legend several times, increasing and decreasing the volume of my hearing aids.
The audio is being transferred to my hearing aid directly by Bluetooth, so there is no outside interference.
I played it with a few different hearing aid programs like automatic, restaurant, music and tv to get as much out of them as I could.

Then, I went to my 2014 DLX with 34,000 kms and recorded an identical video during cold start /ambient +22*C, (bike was sitting for almost 3 weeks) bringing camera/mic closer and further from the idling engine and including walking around, exactly like Legend did.
The second video I took was after riding 25 km, so the engine was fully warmed up.

I then played all three videos over and over again while I was tuning my ears and brain to the engine "noises"
Finaly, I asked my son to play all videos randomnly for few more times without telling me whether my own or Legend's was being played...... and as a few of us mentioned, I cannot hear any abnormal engine noise of this RS.
A few of us pointed out that some vibration and noises are normal characteristics of our CB1100s, and some riders may like it more or less.
Makes no sense to compare other motorcycles with the CB1100 as every bike is of a different liking and characteristic.

Legend's statement "Used, direct from owner with service book full maintenance till 8.800 now is 10.000 km....I ride it a little ; No sign of drop or accident, is Tip-Top really" indicates that this bike was ridden by Legend for about 1200 kms without any engine failure.
This is not my diagnose, as I cannot personaly touch, test and ride this beautiful RS but it is my final and best opinion I can provide so far.
One may agree or disagre in part or in whole with my or other's opinions.
Legend, please remember that before you or your mechanic starts digging in this bike, make sure you all know what you are looking for and have sufficient knowledge in taking it apart, because if you don't, the final results might be devastating to you and your bike.

Additional and general info: air cooled multi cylinder engines with multi valve per cylinder, made out of aluminium are the most noisy compared with cast iron and two valve per cylinder fluid jacket engines.
In addition, GDI / Gasoline Direct Injectioin engines add even more noise.

Legend YT:

My test #1 , engine cold, ambient +22*C, bike was parked for 3 weeks:

My test #2, engine fully warmed up and after 25 km ride:
First, Thank you very much Peterbaron for your detailed and thoroughly made analysis and thanks everybody here who care about my problem! Sorry for delay but I was in holyday so no news. Be very sure that I will not proceed to open the engine till I do not find the reliable/trustful mechanic and acumulate myself all the knowledge needed about this engine by your courtesy and others; of course finding the exact cause first. I will come back with a more accurate and longer video about that knocking; I recall thanking you again for your trustful opinion, but, excuse me I am honestly still worried about that inappropriate noise, who shouldn't be there... it's much too young to have that knocking 
PS: the vibrations and oil sipping now are secondary to me.
 
This kind of collaboration is exactly what the Forum fosters. TheLegend, I am sure you will get things where they need to be. If we can help along the way, please reach out. There is a lot of talent on this Forum. David
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
Vibration in the bars is a long-standing gripe. It's a product of the engine and some feel it worse than others. Use search and see what else you can find out, but here's one relevant thread The CB1100 Community Forum

Thank you Cormanus, an illuminating thread that proofs I'm not the single one in this thankless situation of strong vibrations over 3500 rpm and knocking; sadly is worse, is a irreparable constructive mistake. I wonder how many owners admit freely they have this very serious problem, if they fix it somehow locally or if they where able to contact Honda Japan directly and find the solution for that(apart from selling it). I personally struggle for months to contact Honda Japan by mail but I haven't found the address anywhere or any specialist who can help me. I've already been at 5 independent experienced mechanics. :( 
PS: I contact two Honda dealers locally, Honda Germany and UK... nobody came up with a solution in order to help me and totally silent in disclosing a direct connection to Honda Japan, very disappointing.
 
Thread starter
 I'm back with the knocking engine problem that I see has gotten a bit louder and is always present after the engine warms up(town), only noticeable in idle, I'm also posting a recent video on YouTube for a better perception 
 What do you think it could be and where could it be located?
One of the mechanics suspects it could be an noisy actuator from the fuel line. I don't know if such a thing(with that name) exists in the supply line!? From what I can see on the Honda diagrams, on the supply line there would only be this: "36450-MCA-A62 Valve ASSY., ex. Air Injection" and "36162-PLC-003 Valve, Purge Control Solenoid", as mechano-electrical parts that could generate noises during operation if there are faulty. 
What do you think, could that knock noise come from one of these assemblies of the fuel line or, the problem is from the engine? :(
Has anyone else knows or experienced something like this, does anyone have these low-frequency knocking noises(Tok,Tok) and how worrying are them? What should I do and where should I look for the cause? I've been struggling with these since spring and no one has found their cause and location with certainty. Much appreciated any ideea, suspicion, comment etc. 
 
the link says the video is private. Can you change that?
 
PCSV is a duty type = on/off cycle valve operated by ECU ground , B+ constant supplied.
Its resistance is about 24 Ohms at 20*C
Mostly energized at idle and if working correctly, it generates a ticking noise, or gentle knocking noise.
It’s a part of an emission system.
Does not work when engine off/ign on.
Will not be heard at higher rpm.
If malfunctioning, it may trigger MIL.
 
Good morning. Here is the good news. I assert with the greatest respect that PekingDuck and PeterBaron are phenomenal mechanics. I read posts from them and treat those posts like a master mechanics' class. I strongly encourage you to explore their recommendations without deviation.

More good news: you own one of the very best engineered motorcycles that Honda has ever built. Many of the members of this Forum wished they had a CB1100RS because it leans a couple of clicks toward a sport bike relative to other CB1100 Models. Regrettably, we cannot import it into the United States because Honda did not complete the registration process with the United States government to enable it to be licensed. If they had, people on this Forum would be offering to purchase it from you! Hence, have faith and be patient. You have a great motorcycle, and it will in time get to where you want it to be.

I believe you have already received some great coaching. I encourage you to do only one thing at a time and put enough miles on the motorcycle to make a determination about is it right or is it not. Your CB1100 RS should have a smooth, sport ride courtesy of the inline 4 and suspension. It should handle brilliantly courtesy of the weight distribution and braking system. It is already beautiful motorcycle in its current forum.

Let me offer these additions to this thread:

Vibrations: I own a 2017 CB1100EX. it is a more refined, less sport version of your motorcycle. They share many of the same parts and the same engineering. I have absolutely no vibration. However, that was not the case when I purchased the motorcycle. The prior owner had removed the OEM bar weights from the handlebars because he preferred a different aesthetic. I ordered the entire bar-weight assembly from WeBike Japan and installed them to spec. I also checked the torque for every bolt associated with steering and adjusted accordingly. Most of the vibration disappeared instantly. I would also encourage you to check tire pressure and possibly have the wheels re-balanced.

I did still have two issues left following the bar-end replacement. When I came to a stop or accelerated quickly, I felt minor vibrations. While stopping, I experienced a brake squeal from the front disc brakes. In a move that is incredibly unusual for me, I re-installed a fork brace I had taken off the motorcycle. That non-OEM brace appears to help stabilize the front forks which handle a tremendous amount of weight in those situations. That brace coupled with my natural tendencies to keep everything very clean has eliminated the noise and the vibration I experienced. I am not naturally inclined to move away from OEM designs, but this particularly addition (inexpensive and easy to install) has made a difference on my CB1100EX. I cannot recommend it for your RS, but I can encourage you to consider exploring that option.

Valve-Lid Gasket: It surprises me that you have a leak. It suggests that an inexperienced mechanic worked on your motorcycle. I encourage you or someone you trust to purchase a replacement gasket and install it to spec. I cannot over emphasize the importance of cleaning everything prior to install and using a torque wrench.

Hope my contributions to this Thread help. If my input conflicts with the wise counsel of Lord Popgun, Cormanus, PekingDuck, and PeterBaron, I would defer to them. They have a much longer history than me with a CB1100. My only claim to fame is that I love the CB1100 more than anyone else on this Forum. :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7935.webp
    IMG_7935.webp
    691.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7934.webp
    IMG_7934.webp
    774.7 KB · Views: 33
Thread starter
Lord Popgun said:
the link says the video is private.  Can you change that?

sorry, I do not use YouTube often, I switch the privacy to off I think now is OK
 
Well, it does seem to play, but there is no video or sound. Maybe Cormanus or someone can tell us what is happening.
 
Happy to try, but YouTube tells me the video is unavailable.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun said:
Well, it does seem to play, but there is no video or sound.  Maybe Cormanus or someone can tell us what is happening.

Maybe this time is working  
Cormanus said:
Happy to try, but YouTube tells me the video is unavailable.

Maybe this time is working  
 
Yep. It's working fine now. I'm going to go listen to my bike then I'll get back to you.
 
Back
Top