Knock Knock

Southpaw50_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Went on an easy 70 mile ride this past Saturday. Upon returning home I heard a knocking noise as the bike rolled slowly forward. Put it on the centerstand and as I rolled the rear tire forward you can hear a definite "knock" that appears to be coming from inside the transmission.

Mine is a 2013 with 9600 miles on it. I clean the chain each time I change the oil and lube the chain every 500 miles. Took it into Honda yesterday morning. They still have it and are waiting to hear back from the Tech guys at Honda HQ. They did remove the side cover to make sure the sprocket bolts are properly tightened. They were. All fluids are as they should be.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
 
I've had this happen when the front sprocket is worn and the teeth start binding on the chain rollers. That happens when you push the bike instead of the engine pulling it. Usually notice it after a ride and when the chain needs lubed. Doesn't seem like you have enough miles for that to be it.
 
Thread starter
My local Honda dealership inspected the bike and agreed with my assessment, "You have a knocking noise that, if it were my bike, I would be concerned." They contacted the Honda USA tech rep. They were told the noise is pretty normal and that there is nothing wrong with my bike. So I'm left with the option of waiting for the knocking noise to get louder or for something to bind up in the drivetrain.

Note: When I purchased the bike I paid for an extended Honda warranty.

I'll keep ya'll posted. Maybe I'll get the lucky and the noise will just go away.
 
A knocking noise normal? Sounds to me like Honda just hopes you will go away. How can they (Honda) know this sound is normal when none others on this forum have this knocking sound nor have they (Honda) heard it?

Are you able to create a video with sound for posting on the forum?
 
redbirds_imp said:
A knocking noise normal? Sounds to me like Honda just hopes you will go away. How can they (Honda) know this sound is normal when none others on this forum have this knocking sound nor have they (Honda) heard it?

Are you able to create a video with sound for posting on the forum?
Air cooled motor. It does not hide noises as well as a liquid cooled motor.

Any mass failures reported?

No. Wouldn't worry, just check chain slack and adjust accordingly and ride.
 
Is there any harm in draining the oil, pulling off the side cover, and taking a look? It might only cost you the price of a new gasket and oil.
I'm also curious if this would be happening when the bike is in gear. I don't think it would be too difficult to pull the plugs, and see if there's any changes in the sound when rotating.

Like others, I'll keep my eye on this thread. Good luck.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Is there any harm in draining the oil, pulling off the side cover, and taking a look? It might only cost you the price of a new gasket and oil.
I'm also curious if this would be happening when the bike is in gear. I don't think it would be too difficult to pull the plugs, and see if there's any changes in the sound when rotating.

Like others, I'll keep my eye on this thread. Good luck.
You can, but like others & honda have stated no failures because of it. While it would be a waste of time and money, you can't put a price on peace of mind I guess.
 
Then there's the "YOU TAMPERED WITH IT THEREFORE WE WON'T WARRANTY IT" if something does fail while still under warranty. Keep that in mind before you do ANYTHING to the engine.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Then there's the "YOU TAMPERED WITH IT THEREFORE WE WON'T WARRANTY IT" if something does fail while still under warranty. Keep that in mind before you do ANYTHING to the engine.
Quoted and bumped for truth.
 
Let me expand on my original suggestion. The front sprocket has moulded on rubber dampers on both sides of the sprocket. The chain body rests on these as it turns. When the sprocket has worn, these will hold the chain up a little so the roller doesn't rest in the tooth valley of the sprocket when the engine is not engaged. This allows the roller to move forward, contacting the back of the worn tooth. The following tooth then strikes the following roller and slips forward making a knocking noise that sounds like it's coming from the transmission. I've seen this before on other bikes that have the same kind of sprocket. Lubing the chain will often make it go away. Sometimes adjusting the chain helps too. Just give it a try next time you notice it. It really isn't anything to worry about and it will stop when you replace the chain and sprocket.
 
Back
Top