Key Wouldn?t Turn On?

widude

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was doing some errands with the 2014 CB1100 today. It’s low miles, just over 5k. After my 1st stop I put the key in, no turn. It would go all the way in, would not turn the ignition on.

I thought I may have to get a ride, only 6 miles from home. After about 5 minutes I got it to turn on. It was like it was against a hard mechanical stop.

My next stop, same thing, after minutes of trying, finally got it.

I have lightly sprayed the keyhole over the years, nothing excessive, somewhat upper end stuff from bike shop.

I got home, rotated my spare key in for now, of course old key worked fine at home too. The old key had a very slight amount of grime on it, can’t see how that would be enough to stop it from turning.

I’ll use the other key for now. Anybody see this problem anywhere? Maybe it’s just me? Thanks.
 
That usually indicates the steering lock is dragging or stuck. Check it to make sure it's not damaged in any way.
 
Wheel lock... When you turn the bars all the way left and push the key extra far in and then left, it locks the bars into a far left turn. The idea is that someone can't roll your bike away so easily.
If you are using that locking mechanism it can sometimes be tricky to turn the key... you might have to jiggle the bars a bit while turning the key to the on position.
I think that is what Randy B. is referring to.
You say you have been spraying the keyhole with some sort of lubricant? If so, it's possible that it has gummed things up, though if you are using something designed for the job it shouldn't give you trouble.
When my key gives me trouble, I have used graphite on it and that sorts it out. You can buy it in a tube or just rub a pencil lead on the key. Then just run the key in and out a few times to spread the stuff around in there.
Anyhow, good luck!
 
Thread starter
I just used a short squirt of spray lube, very seldom. It was as if a mechanical stop, not just gummed up.

I went & did a re-test with my brand new, spare key. It locks the steering to the left and turns on just fine. My plan is to go with this key for a while, see how things pan out.
 
sourdough44_imp said:
Is that just the front wheel lock? Anti theft?
There is a pin that comes out of the lock that prohibits the handlebars from being turned and goes into this hole in the frame.


If the pin or the hole is bent or contaminated, it can make turning the key a bit difficult. Also if the bars are laying over hard to one side or the other it will cause the pin to drag in the hole and, again, make it difficult to unlock the ignition.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, I’ll try a look in that area today. This bike has never had an accident or even fell over. I’m just thinking that pin hopefully stays where it’s supposed to stay.

We had a family car a while back, kept beyond 200k, also had manual door locks. The one key was used exclusively, used a lot in the doors too. Eventually that key wore so it was difficult in either the doors or ignition. I’m not expecting that here with the CB-1100, since it’s newer with a much less used key.
 
sourdough44_imp said:
Thanks, I’ll try a look in that area today. This bike has never had an accident or even fell over. I’m just thinking that pin hopefully stays where it’s supposed to stay.

We had a family car a while back, kept beyond 200k, also had manual door locks. The one key was used exclusively, used a lot in the doors too. Eventually that key wore so it was difficult in either the doors or ignition. I’m not expecting that here with the CB-1100, since it’s newer with a much less used key.
Since your spare key is working better, this theory holds water. It doesn't take much wear to make a key fail. Good luck!
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
sourdough44_imp said:
Thanks, I’ll try a look in that area today. This bike has never had an accident or even fell over. I’m just thinking that pin hopefully stays where it’s supposed to stay.

We had a family car a while back, kept beyond 200k, also had manual door locks. The one key was used exclusively, used a lot in the doors too. Eventually that key wore so it was difficult in either the doors or ignition. I’m not expecting that here with the CB-1100, since it’s newer with a much less used key.
Since your spare key is working better, this theory holds water. It doesn't take much wear to make a key fail. Good luck!
It's hard to imagine the key would wear that much with so little miles but if that is the case I'd get another spare made now before this one wears down. That's one of those things you think about doing but then it falls by the wayside until it's too late.
 
Thread starter
I agree, can’t see how a key would wear that quick. A cycle key isn’t opening doors & the rest either, tank & helmet lock don’t count.

Right now my spare is just fine.
 
Just an open question to all about your keys. Do you have a bunch of keys on a keyring, or just one or two? I've known of car ignition switches what wore out from dangling a heavy set of keys.
 
My bike key is a separate key on its own keychain and doesn't touch any other keys, and not because of the rubbing, but because I don't like a bunch of stuff dangling in my bikes ignition while I'm riding

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I have a key separator that keeps the ignition key solo in one ring, and all the other riding-related keys on the other ring and in my pocket.

 
@op
would you please confirm, before the original key didn’t work (first or later), this happened in the following condition:
key was not in the lock, but the handle bar was unlocked,
then you inserted the key, and it wouldn’t turn, correct ?

how deep did you insert it when it wouldn’t turn ? just in and turn, or did you push down against the spring load (last 2 mm), or did you try both ?
Cormanus_imp said:

either you call yourself the owner of some beautiful locks (needed in even prettier doors), or you are a janitor (= slave of some kind), who has little to his name than a CB ... and the CB is the one and only joy in your life.
 
Thread starter
Just an update, my ‘spare’/ other key has been fine, haven’t gone back to trying the original key.

Yes, this was inserted all the way, steering already unlocked, don’t use the steering lock anyway.

It took about 5 minutes, twice, to get the key to turn, so yes, it was in fully. During those 5 minutes I tried everything I could, including the forks centered, key all the way in, etc.

I don’t think my bike or where my key has been is enough to wear the key out. I guess as keys get more detailed, anything is possible. I’ve had 4 times older vehicles where the original keys were fine.

Right now I’m gonna leave it in the freaky event category & use my other key.
 
One of them is the key to his lordship's cellar; one is the key to the CB. The rest are decoys.
 
Back
Top