key Tag

Chris Parker_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi Folks. Ive just received a new 1100EX which I'm absolutely delighted with !! While the dealer has given me 2 keys, they haven't given me the key code tag. I suspect they have lost it ??
Can the code be resourced from Honda HQ using the Eng and Chassis No ? I would obviously like it, in case I lose a key or worse still lose both keys..
Thank you
Chris ..
 
:hello: Howdy Chris and welcome to the forum
 
Chris Parker_imp said:
Hi Folks. Ive just received a new 1100EX which I'm absolutely delighted with !! While the dealer has given me 2 keys, they haven't given me the key code tag. I suspect they have lost it ??
Can the code be resourced from Honda HQ using the Eng and Chassis No ? I would obviously like it, in case I lose a key or worse still lose both keys..
Thank you
Chris ..
Hmm, new from a dealer and no key tag, this is very strange...let'em work this out and provide you with the code, this is all you need...good luck
 
Hi Chris, welcome.

I can only speak of how it is done in the US, but suspect it likely is the same with all distributors. Key tag numbers are not recorded by either the factory or the distributor. There are likely no relevant numbers/code on the switch body either. Engine and frame number are no help either. The 2017 keys are laser cut like cars, so can be cut by most locksmiths if they have the blank, which could be ordered from Honda.
 
It may be more of a problem for Chris if hid bike has the HISS, although it can be worked around.
 
Welcome Chris!

I just looked at my ‘13 spare key (I did have more spares cut at a locksmith) and the key tag is attached with a split ring. I’d say your dealer messed up. The tag should never have been removed from the key.
 
Bah, you'll be fine. I lost or misplaced my tag and second key the first month of '14 CB ownership. Hasn't been a problem (yet). :-/
 
I agree with Gold. The locksmith didn’t need any tag, just the key. And they work fine.
 
In that case you just need a fat wallet which the dealer will make thiner by installing a new ignition switch and helmet lock. That would be my guess.

Can a locksmith make a key if he just has the lock? Do they have tools for that?
 
A locksmith can't cut a key with just the key number off the tag ( at least I dont think they can). It has to be an authorized Honda dealer doesnt it? A locksmith can only duplicate a key you hand him. Right?
 
The ferret_imp said:
A locksmith can't cut a key with just the key number off the tag ( at least I dont think they can). It has to be an authorized Honda dealer doesnt it? A locksmith can only duplicate a key you hand him. Right?
Lol - I certainly hope so. Otherwise I might have keys to everyone's CB. Wouldn't that be a hoot?
 
I don’t know, but I do know that my dealer can use the number tag to set up the key cutting tool they have. Its like a nipper tool though and they said they hate it and say it does a crappy job. They sent me to a locksmith.

I don’t know anything about laser cut keys. Never seen one copied. Might be cool to see.
 
I worked for a Kawasaki dealer in 1973 when the Z-1 came out. There were only 7 keys made for them and they could be bought over the counter. Lots of Z-1s got stolen because unscruplous types bought all 7 keys. They'd just walk up to a bike and keep trying keys until one of the 7 worked and off they rode.
 
The only reason for the key code is if one has NO key, and the dealer is the one who must have it in order to cut a new key from a blank one, based on the code only.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I worked for a Kawasaki dealer in 1973 when the Z-1 came out. There were only 7 keys made for them and they could be bought over the counter. Lots of Z-1s got stolen because unscruplous types bought all 7 keys. They'd just walk up to a bike and keep trying keys until one of the 7 worked and off they rode.
Interesting. Airplanes are similar. There are maybe a dozen keys that fit the locks and ignitions of most light airplanes. Mechanics usually keep a box of keys so that they can work on an airplane if the owner forgets to drop off the keys. I've got five keys from old airplanes and can get into about half the planes at the airport.
 
I guess that makes it easier to go flying when you're short of gas and cash. :D
 
Back
Top