Key Issue

Mitch_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hallo from Germany.

When I purchased my 2017 Honda CB1100 RS I was only given one key due to the previous owner having lost both the spare and the spare key numerical data.

The Dealer did send me a "Blank" Honda Key and said that I could have it cut by any local key specialist and then have it programmed at my closest dealer.

The Dealer whom I purchased the bike from is 300 kilometers from where I live.

After exhaustive inquiries with all Key specialists and Honda Dealerships here in Nurnberg I have come up empty handed. The Key Specialists don't have the proper cutting code? and the Honda Dealers don't have the coding equipment (To enable the HIS feature).

I am on my way to Canada for Vacation early in the New Year and was wondering if any of our Canadian members would know if I can bring the original key and the blank with me to finally get my spare key??



Many thanks in advance for any advice.
 
A Honda Powersports dealership here in southern Ontario, Canada said they do not cut Honda keys and suggested taking it to a locksmith.

In term of programming, I think Honda European keys are programmed and North American not (?), so that will be an additional challenge since I suspect Canadian dealerships don't need to deal with [some] aspects of programming and would not carry the associated equipment/licensing to do so. I am trying to get more information regarding this, but it might be futile.

I recall Aprilia ignition keys needing programming and they were done at Aprilia licensed dealerships (or sent out to regional Aprilia HQ).

- - -

Is there a way to do the same in Germany (contacting Honda Germany HQ?). If so, definitely take an imprint and/or scan of your key before sending to them by registered mail/courier.
 
Hi Mitch, there are at least ten video's on youtube describing cloning the hiss key, the bike itself has the capability to do this from the hiss coil around the ignition key, i believe this can be done up to 4 times and is quite simple to do.
Strange that Honda dealers are not aware of this ( or so they tell you ) .

Just type "copy honda hiss key" in the youtube search bar and a lot of video's will come up for you.
They all use the cam crank sensor input to the e.c.u. and with a resistor inline with the 12 volt supply "tell"the ecu to enter the programming sequence, inside the key is a small transponder chip that can be programmed as you will find out, i suggest you watch at least 6 different video's to get a good feel for how it's done but the key has to be cut first because it has to fit into the ignition lock and switch the bike on, the distance and orientation ( the transponder has to be "in line "with the hiss coil ) of the key to the ignition is only 10 cm so the key that is not programmed has to be out of range ( lying on the back seat ) so not to confuse the e.c.u.

The system works with radio pulses on around 100 kHz and i have listened to the short string of bi-directional pulses on my long wave transistor radio.

There is also a detailed set of instructions here;
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/145900-diy-honda-hiss-key-programming.html

Here is a random video about the method used;

An example on ebay for a blank key;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Key-Ig...=1222407375806e61422d4317485bb0d5fc5bf7e66566

And same for some "id46" transponder blanks;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-High...=3527705304216e61422d4317485bb0d5fc5bf7e66566

All the best.
 
GO, you are correct that in the US we do not have the HISS. Our keys are just keys that can be copied or cut by any locksmith and then used.

My dealer doesn’t cut keys. They sent me to a locksmith with the blanks I bought and he copied the OEM key. My dealer does have a Honda tool that will cut new keys, but they said it doesn’t work well and don’t use it.
 
Popgun / Max ... thanks for stepping in.

I confirm with Popgun's statement that after speaking with two local Honda dealers, they do not support the programmed HISS technology in Canada, nor do they cut keys.

In any case, it appears Max is on top of this subject with the links he provided. In the meantime, you just need to get the key cut.
 
Mitch, I used to own a Honda Shadow which had HISS (as does my CB1100). I bought a blank key from my Honda dealer and had it cut by a local locksmith. The dealer then programmed the key to the bike’s HISS.

I thought for a while the locksmith would have to program the transponder in the key head, but, in the end, all the locksmith has to do is cut the physical key.

I am very surprised no dealer knows how to program the HISS.
 
Not to interfere with anybody's input, here are links that may help in general:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13904&highlight=ignition+key
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5350&highlight=spare+key

Also, if you have an OEM cut key + blank and if you will be in Toronto, Ontario area, I may cut your key at no charge, by duplication only, and if we still have this machine. We used to have the equipment to cut car keys by: duplication, key code(tag) and laser, but due to low demand, we got rid of the laser unit.
Your bike is 2017 model, and not so sure if key blade is a laser type (engraved) or regular (hacksaw).
If you need any further assistance, just update this post with your request and key type, picture would be perfect but not a must.
Meantime, I will check what is available as far as mechanical key cutting is concerned. Stay ahead of this game, so we in Canada might be able to provide some solutions while you enjoy your holidays.
Also, you may send your request to Honda Germany head office-motorcycle, backed by your 17 digit VIN, and they must be able to provide key tag. To be honest with you, your dealer FAILED you big time by not providing key tag number(code)upon delivery.
Let me know

087eef56ffc877367f801f93fc89cb86.jpg

Non chip, regular key with tag
 
I had the HISS feature on my Moto Guzzi Breva that I purchased used. The dealer, 250 miles from home BTW, graciously gave me a spare Guzzi blank but knew of no one locally that could cut the key as it required a special cutting machine. They promised to program the key when I got it cut. Arriving home, I found a locksmith 100 miles away who could cut the key so another long trip to get that done. A week later I rode the Guzzi back to the dealer and got it programmed. I never want another bike with this useless and annoying feature.
 
Mitch,
Check if the spare key has not been hidden somewhere inside the motorcycle. Maybe it's under the side covers or under the battery.
In case I lost my main key, I hid a spare key during my spring trip to the Iberian Peninsula.
 
Can you get at the battery without the key?
 
I carry a flat sided replacement key in my wallet
 
No use to a chap with HISS, Ferret.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Can you get at the battery without the key?
In emergency situation Yes.
You can use a specially bent 5mm metal rod to push the cable (wire) which pulls the lock bolt.
The base of the seat is made of plastic and is quite flexible.
You need to know before how the link (wire) is laid.
I had trouble opening the seat when I bought a motorcycle.
I had to see how it is done at a friend,s CB1100 before i started.
I just did it that way.
 
A trick worth learning. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
Hello and Happy Holidays to all of my Honda Friends.

I very much appreciate this information and am now following up on your recommendations.
It would be great if indeed the spare key was hidden somewhere within the bike.
I have had the battery out as I still have the original key. In all of my years of riding I have never lost a key, knock on wood, but saying that is no guarantee that "Murphy" might catch up with me many miles from home..
I will keep you posted. Here is a picture of the Blank Key
 
Thread starter
Hello Again
Just returned from a trip to Canada.
Where upon arrival I took my two keys (one blank and the only original) to a commercial Key Service centre in Richmond BC (Key West) where without question he took both keys and working with a very standard looking machine produced my spare key (as per image attached) !
When I told him that none of the five key professionals in my home town in Germany would cut the spare key .... he gave me a worried look. Saying that if I had any problem when initiating the code that he would work with me to correct??
The copy looks rough but should function.
So now back here in Nurnberg I will have the spare key coded per the very excellent information provided on this forum during the scheduled maintenance.
I will report back as to ...hopefully a positive result.
Stand by
 
Back
Top