Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
You think right. That is exactly what happened. Brazil started this bandwagon, whose time has come and gone. With oil reserves burgeoning (that's a journalist word) and prices tanking (another journo pun), no one needs more ethanol for IC fuel.kballowe_imp said:WARNING: RANDOM THOUGHTS FOLLOW........
It appears that Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) provides huge quantities of "grain neutral ethyl alcohol" to the "spirits" industries. Vodka bottlers, in particular - since (by law) vodka is 40% alcohol and 60% water.
Blended whisky bottlers also buy large quantities of their ethyl alcohol.
Most of the rice crop in the USA goes into beer production.
Brazil grows a lot of sugarcane. What to do with all that sugarcane? I KNOW !!! Let's mandate 25% alcohol in the gasoline mix.
I'm thinking that Brazil pioneered a lot of the research and technology for materials that play well with alcohol.
Next random thought, please........
Ya think?!:rofl: Probably put the whole concept away for good. Now KC can feel good about more cornmeal for the poor people. "Let them eat cornbread, I say."CB4ME_imp said:Recent political shifts may end the threat of E15 gas at least as a national mandate.
I'll watch that one with some interest. It may equally well go the other way.CB4ME_imp said:Recent political shifts may end the threat of E15 gas at least as a national mandate.
I'll watch that one with some interest. It may equally well go the other way. Not normally a betting man, what are the odds? Are you talking UK? Don't know about the EU or UK but for the USA, E is not the answer. Those drivers really wanting to make an impact (journo pun intended) on the use of fossil fuels and emissions will buy a Leaf, Tesla, Prius, or one of many available hybrids. Lexus, Toyota, GM and other auto makers have several models of SUV, up to the Tahoe/Suburban level, that are hybrids and/or Flexfuel compliant.Cormanus_imp said:I'll watch that one with some interest. It may equally well go the other way.CB4ME_imp said:Recent political shifts may end the threat of E15 gas at least as a national mandate.
Capo_imp said:
Why would I talk UK or Europe when I live in Australia?Ulvetanna_imp said:I'll watch that one with some interest. It may equally well go the other way. Not normally a betting man, what are the odds? Are you talking UK? Don't know about the EU or UK but for the USA, E is not the answer. Those drivers really wanting to make an impact (journo pun intended) on the use of fossil fuels and emissions will buy a Leaf, Tesla, Prius, or one of many available hybrids. Lexus, Toyota, GM and other auto makers have several models of SUV, up to the Tahoe/Suburban level, that are hybrids and/or Flexfuel compliant.Cormanus_imp said:I'll watch that one with some interest. It may equally well go the other way.CB4ME_imp said:Recent political shifts may end the threat of E15 gas at least as a national mandate.
National sentiment has turned quite solidly against wind power, solar power, and ethanol as being any kind of help long-term.
Then again USA can grow lots and lots of corn, make the ethanol, and ship it to y'all "over there". A world market for corn likker.
Hey, that must be what Kevin was sipping, just a few belts of corn likker to take the edge off!
Why would I talk UK or Europe when I live in Australia?Cormanus_imp said:Why would I talk UK or Europe when I live in Australia?Ulvetanna_imp said:I'll watch that one with some interest. It may equally well go the other way. Not normally a betting man, what are the odds? Are you talking UK? Don't know about the EU or UK but for the USA, E is not the answer. Those drivers really wanting to make an impact (journo pun intended) on the use of fossil fuels and emissions will buy a Leaf, Tesla, Prius, or one of many available hybrids. Lexus, Toyota, GM and other auto makers have several models of SUV, up to the Tahoe/Suburban level, that are hybrids and/or Flexfuel compliant.Cormanus_imp said:I'll watch that one with some interest. It may equally well go the other way.CB4ME_imp said:Recent political shifts may end the threat of E15 gas at least as a national mandate.
National sentiment has turned quite solidly against wind power, solar power, and ethanol as being any kind of help long-term.
Then again USA can grow lots and lots of corn, make the ethanol, and ship it to y'all "over there". A world market for corn likker.
Hey, that must be what Kevin was sipping, just a few belts of corn likker to take the edge off!
Your comment assumes we have ethanol in fuel solely because of a shortage of petroleum or political pressure for renewable energy sources. There's an equally good argument, I suspect, that it has less to do with renewables than the protection of US corn growers and Brazilian sugar growers. Who knows? People will buy Priuses and Teslas and whatever, but the ethanol may well keep being added to the gasoline to appease the might of the US farming lobby.
My view is that the future of ethanol in petrol will turn on whoever is the most potent lobby in the US. What happens in the US will affect the rest of the world.
No wonder Kevin has a headache.
Capo_imp said:
Gentlemen,Ulvetanna_imp said:You think right. That is exactly what happened. Brazil started this bandwagon, whose time has come and gone. With oil reserves burgeoning (that's a journalist word) and prices tanking (another journo pun), no one needs more ethanol for IC fuel.kballowe_imp said:WARNING: RANDOM THOUGHTS FOLLOW........
It appears that Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) provides huge quantities of "grain neutral ethyl alcohol" to the "spirits" industries. Vodka bottlers, in particular - since (by law) vodka is 40% alcohol and 60% water.
Blended whisky bottlers also buy large quantities of their ethyl alcohol.
Most of the rice crop in the USA goes into beer production.
Brazil grows a lot of sugarcane. What to do with all that sugarcane? I KNOW !!! Let's mandate 25% alcohol in the gasoline mix.
I'm thinking that Brazil pioneered a lot of the research and technology for materials that play well with alcohol.
Next random thought, please........
On the other hand, Cameron's suggestion that using that extra corn for ethanol instead of for food raises food prices is absurd in the extreme. A preposterous leap.
There is no "extra" corn. Corn syrup was foisted onto the market by corn growers some decades back, as a replacement for sugar. The corn industry, like any industry, is always seeking new markets. Nothing wrong with that. If ethanol can be a market, so be it. But we don't need ethanol any longer, with fossil fuels plentiful and ever-greater efficiencies in cars and trucks.
I own two E85 "Flex-fuel" vehicles and have never put a drop of E85 in either. It's impossible to find; it would cost me a tank of fuel to visit the nearest Flexfuel station, and it's less efficient and more costly. Why would I do something like seek E85 under those circumstances? It would be stupid.
But, this article did get me thinking my Sym Wolf Classic 150 probably doesn't like ethanol much. Could be wrong, I don't know what kind of fuel they use in Taiwan. It may be just fine. E10 should be np.
As a final word, I think KC is imbibing of the finer spirits at times, perhaps just prior to writing this piece. Maybe?
The thing is, he covers no new ground, none at all. Nick Ienatsch's article was very helpful, KC's, not so much. Not at all, really.
Ya think?!:rofl: Probably put the whole concept away for good. Now KC can feel good about more cornmeal for the poor people. "Let them eat cornbread, I say."CB4ME_imp said:Recent political shifts may end the threat of E15 gas at least as a national mandate.
Gentlemen,ChipBeck_imp said:Gentlemen,Ulvetanna_imp said:You think right. That is exactly what happened. Brazil started this bandwagon, whose time has come and gone. With oil reserves burgeoning (that's a journalist word) and prices tanking (another journo pun), no one needs more ethanol for IC fuel.kballowe_imp said:WARNING: RANDOM THOUGHTS FOLLOW........
It appears that Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) provides huge quantities of "grain neutral ethyl alcohol" to the "spirits" industries. Vodka bottlers, in particular - since (by law) vodka is 40% alcohol and 60% water.
Blended whisky bottlers also buy large quantities of their ethyl alcohol.
Most of the rice crop in the USA goes into beer production.
Brazil grows a lot of sugarcane. What to do with all that sugarcane? I KNOW !!! Let's mandate 25% alcohol in the gasoline mix.
I'm thinking that Brazil pioneered a lot of the research and technology for materials that play well with alcohol.
Next random thought, please........
On the other hand, Cameron's suggestion that using that extra corn for ethanol instead of for food raises food prices is absurd in the extreme. A preposterous leap.
There is no "extra" corn. Corn syrup was foisted onto the market by corn growers some decades back, as a replacement for sugar. The corn industry, like any industry, is always seeking new markets. Nothing wrong with that. If ethanol can be a market, so be it. But we don't need ethanol any longer, with fossil fuels plentiful and ever-greater efficiencies in cars and trucks.
I own two E85 "Flex-fuel" vehicles and have never put a drop of E85 in either. It's impossible to find; it would cost me a tank of fuel to visit the nearest Flexfuel station, and it's less efficient and more costly. Why would I do something like seek E85 under those circumstances? It would be stupid.
But, this article did get me thinking my Sym Wolf Classic 150 probably doesn't like ethanol much. Could be wrong, I don't know what kind of fuel they use in Taiwan. It may be just fine. E10 should be np.
As a final word, I think KC is imbibing of the finer spirits at times, perhaps just prior to writing this piece. Maybe?
The thing is, he covers no new ground, none at all. Nick Ienatsch's article was very helpful, KC's, not so much. Not at all, really.
Ya think?!:rofl: Probably put the whole concept away for good. Now KC can feel good about more cornmeal for the poor people. "Let them eat cornbread, I say."CB4ME_imp said:Recent political shifts may end the threat of E15 gas at least as a national mandate.
I've been a gas and oil dealer for decades for Chevron, ARCO, and Shell as well as one of the largest independent E-85 dealers in Arizona and I completely disagree with the above statement. Far from being absurd in the extreme Kevin's opinion is shared by top management at major oil companies and by me. Good grief man, America is the worlds bread basket and the largest producer of grains for export to other areas of the world. We pass a stupid law mandating the use of corn to make our gasoline less efficient, a mandate that uses up 40% of all the corn grown in this country. Corn prices are much higher as a result and the price of many food staples in the underdeveloped world doubles and triples in some areas. An extreme hardship for people who spend 80+% if their income just to feed themselves. This isn't an opinion, it's a verifiable fact. Do you think the laws of supply and demand that determine prices wont respond to a mandate that swallows such a massive share of U.S. farm production? Ethanol is bad for everybody who isn't a farmer worldwide. It unquestionably raises food prices and Kevin Cameron is right on. A little more thorough research on anybodies part will lead them to the same conclusion. Cheers.
Chip
Well-said. Just my quick Bing search revealed scores of hits pontificating on both sides of the issue. But then again, that was exactly what Mr. Cameron had in mind when he wrote his article, so if a few inquiring minds learn a thing or three, so much the better.The ferret_imp said:This is not a new subject/discussion here and proponents on each side never seems to change their mind, and don't expect that they will in this thread either.
For the record 10% ethanol is approved for use in the CB1100's and all Hondas 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled I believe.
Me too. I also try to keep the tank topped up to minimize internal condensation as the temperature and humidity in my unheated garage go up and down randomly.The ferret_imp said:If you are really concerned there are fuel stabilizers made specifically for ethanol fuels to isolate, or disperse ( not really sure) any moisture in ethanol fuels.
Personally I dont worry about it, but my bikes don't sit very long. From Nov to March I do use SEafoam in my tanks in case of a string of bad weather causes me to let them sit for any length of time.