Kelly's Run - A Ride Report in Four Parts

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
Preface
On Thursday, the nineteenth of June, at a little after nine in the morning, I eased my CB1100 onto the I-294 ramp and began my second trip to the Smokey Mountains in as many months. This one would be quite a bit different than the previous one. The first trip was a vacation with friends with a side trip for lunch with my life-long friend Kelly, who had been sick for a long time with heart and kidney disease. This trip was to attend his funeral.

Somewhat ironically, he sustained injuries, ultimately fatal, in a car crash pulling into his doctor's office to discuss a new heart procedure.

This ride report is not going to be some somber reflection on his life or how I miss him in my life. Like the testimonials and eulogies at his funeral, he would want me to discuss the life in my ride and not dwell on the death that made it necessary. So, the following report is written in that spirit.

Part I
It took a little bit of convincing to get my wife on board with me riding solo for 4 days. She was much more at ease with my plan once I informed her that I would meet up with our new friend, Mickey (The Ferret), with whom we rode 6 weeks prior (see Tales of the Dragon) She somehow got the notion that I would be safer riding with him than alone because he's a careful rider and a nice guy. I think he's like Eddie Haskell and puts up this kind and concerned front which belies his innate mischievousness. In any case, I contacted Mickey and planned to meet him for breakfast and a ride on Day 2. I really do think it's safer, and often more fun, to ride with someone else so I was very pleased that he was available.

I planned my route to allow me to hop on an interstate if I lost time due to weather or mechanical issues. If the motorcycling gods were with me, my route would also allow me to spend a little more time wandering around northern Kentucky with Mickey and maybe even hit some of the wonderful roads in and around the Smoky Mountains. There was a little weather--it rained a little, and some times a lot, on both Thursday and Friday. The brand new Michelin RP3s handled all the conditions flawlessly.

I learned from my last trip that if I mounted my bags the right way, they would provide a nice back rest for me on the long straightaways. I had to pack a little more carefully, since I needed dress pants and a dress shirt for the main event, but everything I needed for 4 days fit easily in my duffel/drybag combination. I know many of you like luggage with saddlebags and such, but I think a couple of bags strapped on the back of the CB1100 just completes the retro look.

Packed and ready to go:


I am here to tell you that there is no, and I mean NO, interesting way to get out of the Chicago area and still maintain some level of speed. So it was I-294 to 80/94 to 394 to a couple of small roads to US 41 south. I will comment on the "couple of small roads" though: The intersection of 109th and Calumet Ave in Indiana is called "Shoe Corner" I had been through the intersection twice before and noticed the shoes on the road, but it wasn't until I was home from this trip that I was curious enough to try to figure out what the deal was (which is why there are no pictures). It seems that folks drop off old shoes at this corner on a regular basis. One legend has it that people started leaving shoes there for a poor family who was too proud to accept charity. You can read a little more about it here. [url=http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/mystery-shrouds-shoe-corner/article_eeaa5082-cc8a-558b-a683-d4d0272b3d86.html]Shoe Corner

I wonder now why a poor family would need the pair of women's gold platform shoes I saw as I passed, though.

US41 is straight and flat, but it beats the hell out of I-65. "The Shoe Corner Bypass" allowed me to avoid a couple of towns and a couple dozen stoplights and is more scenic than the interstate; there are even a few curves before turning onto 41.

Damn! I forgot to pack a cigar or two!

I realized this major gaff as I pulled out of a gas station in Cedar Lake, IN. Oh well, I could stop in Morocco. They have a great big fancy sign saying "Welcome to Morocco". Surely they must have a place I could by a cigar. They did. Sort of.



The nice and modestly attractive woman at The Butt Shop was as helpful as she could be, pointing me to my choices of Swisher Sweets or berry-flavored Backwoods Smokes ("How can anything that looks so wild, taste so mild?"). Well, they had the "cheap" part down in any case. I opted for the Backwoods Smokes and headed for the door. She followed me out. "We don't get many out out-of-towners around here, especially on bikes", she said. She asked me a few more questions about the CB, where I was from and where I was heading, and I rode off with the distinct impression that she just wanted to talk to someone from someplace else. Selling lottery tickets and Luckies to the same people everyday probably gets old after awhile.

I would take US41 to US52 into Lafayette, IN and stop for lunch at the famous Triple XXX Family Restaurant for lunch. I love this place. Make sure you get a root beer, if'n you like root beer. I was in Purdue country so I had the Boilermaker Pete (a double cheeseburger and yet so much more than that). It's on a hill and the canopy was leaking from an earlier rain, so parking was a little adventure, but it's definitely worth the effort. Just remember: it's cash only.



After a weaving around a couple of one-way streets, I picked up US231 south out of Lafayette. A fairly uneventful stretch for me through Greencastle, home of DePauw University and then east on IN46 to Bloomington, home of Indiana University. I had unintentionally taken a tour of some of the best colleges in the region. In Bloomington, I picked up IN446 south and stopped for a "comfort break" at Lake Monroe. Temps in the 80s this day proved to be the coolest afternoon of the entire trip. It felt good to be off the bike for a few minutes, especially with the scenic views of the lake.



From Lake Monroe, I took 446 to IN58 to IN135 to US50 east. 446, 58, and 135 essentially border Brown County Stat Park on the west, south, and east. They are nice roads with some curves, but nothing too challenging. Very pretty ride around the park. I didn't get to ride it this time, but 135 north of 58 is very scenic and a road worth taking if you're in the area. I spotted this sign along in here someplace and I swore it said "IDIOT PARKING". There are probably some Indiana riders that think I read it the correct way. LOL


I stopped along US50 at Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge mainly to get my bearings. Seemed like a great place to spend a couple of hours. I'll go back there someday. The only picture I have from there is a selfie of me in front their information sing which I sent to Cheryl to let her know that I was not in s ditch someplace. No need to show that here.

Got my bearings, but somehow still managed to miss the turn for US421 which should have taken me to Madison, Indiana. I don't suspect there is much to see in Madison in June, but I thought I would check it out for a bike trip I'd like to take in July, 2015 to see the Madison Hydroplane Regatta [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Regatta]Madison Regatta. In any case, it was starting to cloud up a little and going to Madison would take me south and west of Cincinnati, my destination for the night.

My plan was to follow US50 along the river into Cincy and then take 75 north to the Quality Inn, Sharonville. It would have been a nice ride with the sun setting over my shoulder, but it started to rain. Not enough to put on rain gear, but enough to make me anxious to get to the hotel. I should have just hopped on I-275 at the Indiana/Ohio border, but hindsight, etc.

Quite possibly the worst highway signage in the country exists (or doesn't) to guide one from US50 east to I-75 north. Plus, there was a detour. I wound up stopping at an intersection to check my map and in the 10 mintues I was there, I saw exactly three other vehicles. In a fairly large city, it's a bit disconcerting to be on a motorcycle at dusk in an area with very few people around. I figured out my route, snapped a quick picture, and hopped back on the bike.



Rode in a light rain in a construction zone for most of the remainder of my trip to the hotel. I charmed the nice woman at the Quality Inn into letting me move a few of their outside tables and park my bike on their "porch"


I dined at JW Sports Cafe just down the street from the hotel. We ate here when we passed through before and it was pretty good. I had a cheeseburger and fries, a Yuengling, (and some sort of shot of Fireball mixed with some other liquor that the guy on the stool next me paid for), and my bill, with a generous tip, was $13.00. Not bad.

The Quality Inn was clean, quiet and convenient. I fell asleep looking forward to Friday's breakfast and ride with The Ferret.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Preface
On Thursday, the nineteenth of June, at a little after nine in the morning, I eased my CB1100 onto the I-294 ramp and began my second trip to the Smokey Mountains in as many months. This one would be quite a bit different than the previous one. The first trip was a vacation with friends with a side trip for lunch with my life-long friend Kelly, who had been sick for a long time with heart and kidney disease. This trip was to attend his funeral.

Somewhat ironically, he sustained injuries, ultimately fatal, in a car crash pulling into his doctor's office to discuss a new heart procedure.

This ride report is not going to be some somber reflection on his life or how I miss him in my life. Like the testimonials and eulogies at his funeral, he would want me to discuss the life in my ride and not dwell on the death that made it necessary. So, the following report is written in that spirit.

Part I
It took a little bit of convincing to get my wife on board with me riding solo for 4 days. She was much more at ease with my plan once I informed her that I would meet up with our new friend, Mickey (The Ferret), with whom we rode 6 weeks prior (see Tales of the Dragon) She somehow got the notion that I would be safer riding with him than alone because he's a careful rider and a nice guy. I think he's like Eddie Haskell and puts up this kind and concerned front which belies his innate mischievousness. In any case, I contacted Mickey and planned to meet him for breakfast and a ride on Day 2. I really do think it's safer, and often more fun, to ride with someone else so I was very pleased that he was available.

I planned my route to allow me to hop on an interstate if I lost time due to weather or mechanical issues. If the motorcycling gods were with me, my route would also allow me to spend a little more time wandering around northern Kentucky with Mickey and maybe even hit some of the wonderful roads in and around the Smoky Mountains. There was a little weather--it rained a little, and some times a lot, on both Thursday and Friday. The brand new Michelin RP3s handled all the conditions flawlessly.

I learned from my last trip that if I mounted my bags the right way, they would provide a nice back rest for me on the long straightaways. I had to pack a little more carefully, since I needed dress pants and a dress shirt for the main event, but everything I needed for 4 days fit easily in my duffel/drybag combination. I know many of you like luggage with saddlebags and such, but I think a couple of bags strapped on the back of the CB1100 just completes the retro look.

Packed and ready to go:


I am here to tell you that there is no, and I mean NO, interesting way to get out of the Chicago area and still maintain some level of speed. So it was I-294 to 80/94 to 394 to a couple of small roads to US 41 south. I will comment on the "couple of small roads" though: The intersection of 109th and Calumet Ave in Indiana is called "Shoe Corner" I had been through the intersection twice before and noticed the shoes on the road, but it wasn't until I was home from this trip that I was curious enough to try to figure out what the deal was (which is why there are no pictures). It seems that folks drop off old shoes at this corner on a regular basis. One legend has it that people started leaving shoes there for a poor family who was too proud to accept charity. You can read a little more about it here. [url=http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/mystery-shrouds-shoe-corner/article_eeaa5082-cc8a-558b-a683-d4d0272b3d86.html]Shoe Corner

I wonder now why a poor family would need the pair of women's gold platform shoes I saw as I passed, though.

US41 is straight and flat, but it beats the hell out of I-65. "The Shoe Corner Bypass" allowed me to avoid a couple of towns and a couple dozen stoplights and is more scenic than the interstate; there are even a few curves before turning onto 41.

Damn! I forgot to pack a cigar or two!

I realized this major gaff as I pulled out of a gas station in Cedar Lake, IN. Oh well, I could stop in Morocco. They have a great big fancy sign saying "Welcome to Morocco". Surely they must have a place I could by a cigar. They did. Sort of.



The nice and modestly attractive woman at The Butt Shop was as helpful as she could be, pointing me to my choices of Swisher Sweets or berry-flavored Backwoods Smokes ("How can anything that looks so wild, taste so mild?"). Well, they had the "cheap" part down in any case. I opted for the Backwoods Smokes and headed for the door. She followed me out. "We don't get many out out-of-towners around here, especially on bikes", she said. She asked me a few more questions about the CB, where I was from and where I was heading, and I rode off with the distinct impression that she just wanted to talk to someone from someplace else. Selling lottery tickets and Luckies to the same people everyday probably gets old after awhile.

I would take US41 to US52 into Lafayette, IN and stop for lunch at the famous Triple XXX Family Restaurant for lunch. I love this place. Make sure you get a root beer, if'n you like root beer. I was in Purdue country so I had the Boilermaker Pete (a double cheeseburger and yet so much more than that). It's on a hill and the canopy was leaking from an earlier rain, so parking was a little adventure, but it's definitely worth the effort. Just remember: it's cash only.



After a weaving around a couple of one-way streets, I picked up US231 south out of Lafayette. A fairly uneventful stretch for me through Greencastle, home of DePauw University and then east on IN46 to Bloomington, home of Indiana University. I had unintentionally taken a tour of some of the best colleges in the region. In Bloomington, I picked up IN446 south and stopped for a "comfort break" at Lake Monroe. Temps in the 80s this day proved to be the coolest afternoon of the entire trip. It felt good to be off the bike for a few minutes, especially with the scenic views of the lake.



From Lake Monroe, I took 446 to IN58 to IN135 to US50 east. 446, 58, and 135 essentially border Brown County Stat Park on the west, south, and east. They are nice roads with some curves, but nothing too challenging. Very pretty ride around the park. I didn't get to ride it this time, but 135 north of 58 is very scenic and a road worth taking if you're in the area. I spotted this sign along in here someplace and I swore it said "IDIOT PARKING". There are probably some Indiana riders that think I read it the correct way. LOL


I stopped along US50 at Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge mainly to get my bearings. Seemed like a great place to spend a couple of hours. I'll go back there someday. The only picture I have from there is a selfie of me in front their information sing which I sent to Cheryl to let her know that I was not in s ditch someplace. No need to show that here.

Got my bearings, but somehow still managed to miss the turn for US421 which should have taken me to Madison, Indiana. I don't suspect there is much to see in Madison in June, but I thought I would check it out for a bike trip I'd like to take in July, 2015 to see the Madison Hydroplane Regatta [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Regatta]Madison Regatta. In any case, it was starting to cloud up a little and going to Madison would take me south and west of Cincinnati, my destination for the night.

My plan was to follow US50 along the river into Cincy and then take 75 north to the Quality Inn, Sharonville. It would have been a nice ride with the sun setting over my shoulder, but it started to rain. Not enough to put on rain gear, but enough to make me anxious to get to the hotel. I should have just hopped on I-275 at the Indiana/Ohio border, but hindsight, etc.

Quite possibly the worst highway signage in the country exists (or doesn't) to guide one from US50 east to I-75 north. Plus, there was a detour. I wound up stopping at an intersection to check my map and in the 10 mintues I was there, I saw exactly three other vehicles. In a fairly large city, it's a bit disconcerting to be on a motorcycle at dusk in an area with very few people around. I figured out my route, snapped a quick picture, and hopped back on the bike.



Rode in a light rain in a construction zone for most of the remainder of my trip to the hotel. I charmed the nice woman at the Quality Inn into letting me move a few of their outside tables and park my bike on their "porch"


I dined at JW Sports Cafe just down the street from the hotel. We ate here when we passed through before and it was pretty good. I had a cheeseburger and fries, a Yuengling, (and some sort of shot of Fireball mixed with some other liquor that the guy on the stool next me paid for), and my bill, with a generous tip, was $13.00. Not bad.

The Quality Inn was clean, quiet and convenient. I fell asleep looking forward to Friday's breakfast and ride with The Ferret.

This is no joke. The 294/94/80 area on the south end of Chicago heading into Indiana is the epitome of clusterf#*^. Unless you go through there in the wee hours, forget it.

Nice write up...keep going, and sorry to hear about your friend.
 
Great write up and pictures, Empty Sea. You keep the bar high.

Looking forward to the next instalment.
 
I agree Randy that route in Chicago is brutal traffic and drivers. I'm impressed EmptySea you made it out alive. I-65 in Indiana is also one of the worst interstates in USA. Rough surface, and very heavy traffic. Glad you stopped at my old college, go Purdue!


But seriously great write up so far. I'm waiting for more.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Part II

Friday morning was partly to mostly sunny and the early warmth warned of a hot afternoon. I removed my bike from its covered resting spot, thanked the desk manager for the consideration and the good night's sleep, packed up the bike and rode down the street to meet Ferret at the Bob Evans. I usually like to find mom & pop places to eat when I travel, especially for breakfast, but I have to tell you that Bob Evans can rustle up some corned beef hash and eggs quickly and cheaply..and they taste pretty darned good, too.

If you have the opportunity to ride with Ferret, first do so. Second, be on time which is to say, be early. The man is punctual.

He was already there, camera ready, when I arrived. He came from something like 10 miles away. I came from like 10 steps away. The man is punctual.

(author's note: some pictures are courtesy of The Ferret Studios, Somewheresville, OH)
a11928828caafffb3d27a34990ca274c.jpg


Selfie sent to my wife to let her know that I was safely traveling with Eddie Haskell.
a55df4211fba6cd0778c331f30f1b793.jpg


He had mapped out a route for the day and wanted to show me the plan. Lucky he had reading glasses to lend me. He let me keep the map and his Post-It Note with rough directions of our trip. This may sound a little odd, but I keep it in my tank bag all the time and consider it one of my most treasured keepsakes from my motorcycle travels.
691e01a43c07eaab2714e936aae8bbf2.jpg


He was charged with leading me on a backroads route that would take me generally south and generally parallel to US75. That way I could make up the time spent on morning jocularity and still get to Alcoa around dinner time. His answer? A route he called "Too Many Twos" (or "Twos Are Wild"..something like that). I have the map and have even tried to recreate it on Google Maps, but he did a little loop in the middle and, as the follower, I didn't pay close attention to the road names. All I know is that it was fun, at one point we were on KY22 and KY227, and that we were in Georgetown at least once, but I think twice. I was dizzy from the turns by the time we stopped at a Wendy's right next to I-75 for a refreshing tea (hot for him, iced for me). It was hot by then and the air conditioning felt good.

On the way to our fun route, he let me ride his Deluxe. Great bike. Very well balanced, what with the dual exhaust and the RLETS and all. (Not sure what to make of the giant cross in the background)
0e9bddca91ddcff6b47d8109576896e1.jpg


Once we hit the back roads, I was on my own bike. Notice how the weight of the single exhaust causes the bike to list to one side.
22522e41b70c520a9b7c9782c7f9a64d.jpg


Our bikes soaking up the shade at Wendy's. I'm sure Ferret was saying "Jeezalou, I love my bike"
953921326891fcb09da219d09f915ac1.jpg


Mickey and I exchanged wishes of safe travels and I headed south on I-75. He probably went west then north then east and then north some more.

My trip down I-75 was quick, but it started to rain somewhere around London, KY and I don't like riding in truck wash (air or water), so I switched over to US25. I think I did this at London, but it may have been a bit further south. I was winging it at this point, relying on my recollections of my last trip through the area. Rain got harder and I stopped and donned my rain gear. In typical fashion, the rain stopped about 10 minutes later and I was hauling ass down 25 in what amounted to a high-viz sweatsuit.

Hot, Humid, and Hungry is no way to go through life, son. I decided to stop in Corbin, KY for some grub. Last time through Corbin, our group was stuck in a coffee shop to wait out a rain storm. I could see clouds moving in, but it was dry at this point. I chose Dixie Cafe as my "mom & pop" place and it did not disappoint. I had the meatloaf on the recommendation of the owner's 12 year old son.

Selfie sent to my wife to let her know were I was at. I didn't notice the resemblance until later.
c55267b95b4bc71737749f629462e21f.jpg


faa80e4bf55dda44d89490c55728aecf.jpg


Back on US25 for a spell and then onto I-75 to get me to my Quality Inn-Alcoa with all due haste. If timing and weather would cooperate, I might be able to take an evening run up US129 into and around Deal's Gap. Both cooperated, at least until I arrived at the hotel. The manager again allowed me to park under a canopy. It was too small to be of much good, but I felt comfortable leaving it right next to the office window and they had a bucket of towels for drying off bikes right in the lobby. Sweet.

Stripped the bike down a bit for the trip to Deal's Gap.
b685ea71785bb6a8510a7e73795868dc.jpg


The weather was holding, but it did look cloudy in the mountains. I dumped all bags and headed south on US129. US411 and 129 run together at this point with 129 breaking off with a left turn taking you to the famous/infamous section of the road. There was a policeman at this corner and he had flagged down a group of 5 Harley riders just ahead of me to warn that it was raining hard on The Dragon. The Harley group stopped in the gas station at the corner. I figured that there was still a good 10 miles of really pretty road before you even make the last turn that takes you to The Tail of The Dragon, so I made the left and continued on US129.

US129/Calderwood Hwy. a few miles north of TN72.
e9101abd72424ebadd22f68e54318149.jpg


The intersection of Foothills Parkway and US129 is your last chance to bail out before trying your hand at The Dragon. TN72 is the second to last intersection. I arrived at this T intersection in the midst of a fairly steady, but light rain. There were no other vehicles to be seen except for a row of parked bikes at The Dragon Pit Inn at the top of the T. I brought my CB to a stop on the white striped island that directs you left to Deal's Gap or right onto 72 West and back to US411. I could see that the rain was mostly to the left, but it was clearing to the right. I wanted to go left, but not in the rain, so I looked left then right as I played "Eenie Meenie" in my head (the "tiger" version, for all you who may be wondering). I am sure that my fellow riders, looking on from the confines of The Dragon Pit, knew exactly what was going through my mind.

I decided to go right. I would follow 72 back to 411 and turn right and head for my hotel. That was my plan. 72 was in its post-rain glory, though, so I rode it to 411 and turned around to head home via 72 and 129--the way I came.

Early evening, TN72 at Culvert's Cove.
78080524b70cd0748df9506ce7f9706e.jpg


Looking back toward The Dragon. Rain, rain, going away.
ef65fe5931a0292ad96ac1d17add0068.jpg


TN72 is a lovely stretch of road. Just a few curves, but a beautiful ride through the lowlands. I rode it back to The Dragon Pit and by the time I arrived back there, the sun had peeked out and there was no need for "eenie meenie"--I was heading up The Dragon. This road is fantastic. After each section of switchback and keyhole turns I wonder to myself "How in God's name did this serpent become a United States Highway?". It is not the prettiest of the roads in the area, but it's pretty. It is not my favorite of the roads in the area, but it's damn interesting. I had it almost to myself. I did have to slow down for a two-up cruiser and we were both summarily passed by a red Ducati Multistrada. I hadn't seen him in my mirror as he approached and I was close to the center line in a not-so-subtle attempt to encourage the couple in front of me to avail themselves of the pull-off to the right. They did not and The Ducati startled me as he passed. I felt bad that I had not given him more room.

Selfie sent to my wife to let her know I was alive...and to make her a little jealous. (Eyewear: KD's with blue tint. I use these for low light conditions. I have a pair of clear ones for night. They work perfectly and are cheap)
1f0272b1595f9d5054acde59861906d1.jpg


Scenic overlook of my bike...oh and I guess there's some cool stuff in the background, too.
ceb2884ea5fedfc572398fc0a1abb49f.jpg


When I arrived at Deal's Gap Resort, I saw the red Ducati and I pulled next to him to apologize for not giving him more room. I could tell from how he pulled away from us after the pass that he was a very good rider in very good control of his bike and I felt that, had I been more attentive, I could have given him more room. He replied that he would not have passed me at all had I not got tied up behind the cruiser. He said that he was riding at his own speed and was not really closing on me until I slowed down. It is not my goal to be the fastest on the road, but he gave me a nice little boost to know that I was riding at a good pace.

It was getting late, so I turned the CB right out of Deal's Gap Resort and up the hill on 129 and headed back to the hotel. The Quality Inn is walking distance to a Texas Roadhouse. A chain, again, but they do have good food. Dined at the bar and had a nice conversation with two different groups of riders on either side of me. We sure do like talking about riding...almost as much as actually riding. After dinner, it was back to the hotel for some shuteye. I was going to try to get out pretty early so that I could take the scenic route to the church in Hixson. I needed to be there by noon.
 
Great narrative and pictures, EmptySea. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to write it up. I really enjoy looking at shots of rural US and hearing the stories of members' rides. In this installment, I particularly liked the post rain shots. Oh, and the Tales of the Ferret. Love the way you get that mist on the water.
 
Thread starter
Only one of the photo vendors was still taking pictures on the way up. They were gone on my return trip. Notice that the ground is almost completely dry even though it was pouring here only 30 minutes prior.

c699303fd592c991a5a2d84635cef23d.jpg
 
Thread starter
Part III

Saturday.

Sunny and hot, even at 7:00am

My bike was dew-soaked, but the handy "Bike Towel" bin was close at hand so I wiped it down and packed it up. I rearranged my duffel so that my dress pants, shirt, and shoes were at the top of the bag. My wife had suggested that I simply wear these tiems (except the shoes, of course) under my riding gear and that would have been ok if it was 30 degrees cooler. Best to find a place to change at the church.

I had desperately tried to figure out a route that would take me to Chattanooga via Cherohala Skyway, but I didn't feel confident that I could follow that route and still make it to Chattanooga, actually Hixson, by noon. Sure, I could leave an hour or two earlier, but my past traverse of Cherohala wound up being a trek through fog and cold at 5,000+ feet. I decided on a more direct route that would still include, I hoped, some good roads with great scenery. As it turns out, I came up with a gem of a route. Area riders may know a better way, but this Yankee thoroughly enjoyed his morning ride.

When I was in the area in May, I took Cherohala as part of my route to Chattanooga and I blew past this neat little restaurant-looking place on the river just outside of Tellico Plains named Tellico Kats. I had thought about circling back, but instead settled for a cup of coffee at Hardee's, apparently the best breakfast place in downtown Tellico Plains. My riding companions on that trip stopped at Kats, which turns out to be a coffee shop/deli/convenient store, and had gourmet coffee and a sweet roll on their deck overlooking the river. One thing was for sure, I was stopping at the cute little place by the river.

I headed south out of Alcoa on 129/411. I had learned something over the last couple of days of solo riding solo: If you're trying to get to a particular place and are not familiar with the area, plan a fairly simple route. It doesn't have to be direct, of course, but keeping the number of roads to a minimum reduces the number of location checks you have make along the route and helps you enjoy the ride and stay on schedule.

I figured out that I could take US411 to TN360 which in turn would take me to TN165 which would be near the western terminus of Cherohala Skyway.

With so many great roads in the area, TN360 would be easy to pass up. Don't. It's hilly, but not steep, very curvy, and takes you through national forest land across a river and Tellico Lake. There's some farmland along the way, too. Seems like it would be a great connecting road for someone trying to do a loop that included Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala. In fact, it's probably on tour maps as such.

A view from one of the bridges on 360
431f6aeeba4a371cc414a570a994a9d0.jpg


A horsey!
bec17475621a839d5cf9f8ff2b2f65cf.jpg


360 was a wonderful morning run. Now, just a quick left and a couple of miles, if that, and I would be having breakfast on the river at Tellico Kats.

Except it was closed.

Apparently, Kats is not really a breakfast place at all. More like a lunch place. I parked the bike and walked up to the door and saw the Open 10-6 sign. Unfortunately, it was only about 9:15. I walked back to my bike thinking that I was going to have to suffer another breakfast at Hardee's when I heard the door open behind me. A nice older woman asked if she could help me. I said that the sign says you're closed. She said "You're the first person to actually read and understand the sign. Most read it then knock or try the door knob. I tell them that we're closed. You look hungry, come on in and we'll fix something up for you."

My lonely bike at Tellico Kats
a03c909534d33638f61562f941376671.jpg


As I said, they're not really a breakfast place. It's a deli owned by two sisters, probably in their 60s, who are from Pennsylvania and decided to open a deli. Just as simple as that. Both of their names start with a K sound (Katherine and Karen, maybe?). I told them that I thought it was a breakfast spot and one sister says "Well we don't have a breakfast menu, but I happen to have a couple of eggs so I could make you a ham and egg sandwich if you'd like." I would LIKE!. Anyhow, the sisters could not have been nicer to me and I ate my ham and egg sandwich and drank my coffee on their covered deck looking out over the river...

Yeah...there are worse places to eat I guess.
5662a60cd6e4e0359fa23e352544dd53.jpg


Coffee, a sandwich, a bottle of water, some nice conversation, and a wonderful view. I think it totaled $10 with a generous tip.

Just west of Tellico Kats.
406ad054c6893fc75d8e651ec7ad0450.jpg


Gassed up in Tellico Plains for the last leg of the morning...Tellico Plains to the Presbyterian church in Hixson. Applying my new technique, I would limit the number of roads in between the two towns to 5. TN165 to TN39/Mecca Pike to TN310 to 163/Bowater Rd. to I-75. There were huge detours and related delays in and around Chattanooga, so don't ask me what road I took once I exited the interstate.

All the roads I used to get from Tellico Plains to I-75 were really nice roads and, it being still relatively early on a Saturday, there were hardly any other vehicles out. I was able to fully enjoy the ride although the temperature was increasing.

I spent a little too much time with the K sisters and I was trying now to make it the 80+miles in less than 2 hours. Motorcycle time is slower than car time so I knew I had to hustle a little bit. Fortunately, the traffic cooperated. Unfortunately, I did not take time to take pictures. Picture roads flowing like water over rolling hills through a forest. If you have occasion to travel in this part of Tennessee, hit some of these roads.

By the time I got to the I-75 ramp, it was HOT out. I stopped in a shaded area on 163 near the ramp and had a brief drink of water and walked around a bit. The ride south on I-75 was fast enough, but the sun was beating down on my pretty good and I was glad I had stopped for some hydration.

They were rebuilding the bridge I needed to cross to get to Hixson so I follwed the snail-paced procession of vehicles along the detour. Snail-paced processions on an air-cooled bike on a hot and humid day is not a great combination. I was shvitzing pretty good by the time I arrived at the church--on time. The funeral director greeting me at the door and was good enough to point me to a place I could change. Fortunately, I had a towel with me to dry off, but it was hard to cool down and my dress clothes were toasty warm from the 80 mile ride in a black duffel bag.

The memorial service was a very fitting celebration of Kelly's life with a slide show of photos which included, surprisingly, a picture of him next to my bike from just the month prior. No one from his family knew I was coming so they were as surprised to see me as I was to see my CB on the big screen. Several of us gave testimonials about him and then all visitors met for some refreshment and more remembrances. I stayed for as long as I could, but I needed to get on the road. My next stop was in Bowling Green, KY, 200 miles north, and it was almost 3:00. I changed into my riding gear, said my goodbyes, hugged my hugs, and was off.

I have no idea how I wound up on I-24 toward Nashville. Kelly's wife gave me something resembling directions, but I must have misunderstood them. After asking three different people at three different stoplights "How do I get on 24 to Nashville", I eventually zeroed in on the ramp and then it was just an 80 mph ride through a blast furnace for the next hour or two. There are no pictures of this part of the trip. Interstate pictures are boring and I was preoccupied with trucks and steep grades and the like.

I stopped to refuel somewhere south of Murfreesboro. A young guy on a sport bike came over and asked about the bike and my travels. He was in the service, Air Force I think, and was heading south. He said traffic around Nashville was bad and that they were predicting a big storm. The young man didn't know that Nashville traffic is a walk in the park compared to Chicago traffic, but I could see the clouds on the horizon and thought I may want to stay on the eastern path to Bowling Green, rather than follow my planned northwest route through Nashville. I was hot and hungry, though, so stopped at Steak n Shake for dinner and to revise my route. I decided to shoot north and a little east along TN890 which is 4 lanes and had almost no cars on it. I left the cloud line behind me and to my left, and it was still sunny for most of 890. The clouds hit in earnest near Lebanon where I picked up US 231. By the time I crossed into Kentucky, though, it was sunny. It appeared that I had run a successful end-around past the storm, but it was getting near dark and I was more anxious than a body ought to be about bedding down at the Red Roof Inn.

The Red Roof Inn was a great buy. $70.00, I think, and the rooms were clean and had laminated wood flooring and new beds and lighting. I was very pleasantly surprised. Here's a tip: Trip Advisor works.

Again, they let my park my bike in a covered area and I now had time for a couple of pictures as the sun set on my long and memorable day.

My bike, as seen from the fireworks stand in front of the hotel.
9cb8339cccb85164e03cdc45cb6be138.jpg


So...as I unloaded my bike, I saw this guy looking out at the pool at the EconoLodge across the parking lot. Yep...just a guy outside in his underpants
ce92c4cd0cff1e742e8cdf55e2fd19c5.jpeg


Time to rest.









______________________________________







Kelly
cd31c5303b308b49c5af3df408cfd5a8.jpg
 
Hi Kelly, nice to meet you. Sorry for the way it turned out. Rip brother.
 
Yeah, sorry to meet you under such circumstances, Kelly. RIP.

Another fabulous instalment, ES.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Only one of the photo vendors was still taking pictures on the way up. They were gone on my return trip. Notice that the ground is almost completely dry even though it was pouring here only 30 minutes prior.

c699303fd592c991a5a2d84635cef23d.jpg
Nice lean angle! You would have probably caught me and passed me ;-) Great reading your post!

 
Where's part 4? Did I miss it. Enjoying the report and pictures very much ES.
 
Back
Top