Kawasaki Vulcan? Anyone ridden one??

dBuster_imp

Been there
Thread starter
As I was out and about putting up fliers for the american legion riders brat fry we have going on in two weeks I came across a pretty sweet Kawasaki Vulcan. This dealership has two left overs, one from 2012 and one from 2011 and they are discounted big time as they are tired of passing the rent for the bikes on the showroom floor.

Just curious if anyone has ever ridden one, any input on the bike? Just looking at possibly another addition to the stable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Which Vulcan? They made a few variants.
I rode one like this that my buddy owned for a few thousand miles. Easy ridding out on the road for sure.
7529bea3f92c6bc1a330194236a8c0e3.jpg


He had a 2002 Vulcan Nomad that he replaced it with as his main bike.
004833a6dbfbffe81ecaaeac4fa7efbd.jpg
 
My wife had an '06 LT model. It was an "OK" bike. Reliable enough with typical cruiser vices of limited cornering clearance and so-so handling. She quickly lost interest in it and bought a V-strom.
 
Thread starter
Really, no cornering, or just a lack of the clearance like we have with the 1100?

Wonder if they made any enhancements with the newer models or made the handling any better.
 
dBuster_imp said:
Really, no cornering, or just a lack of the clearance like we have with the 1100?

Wonder if they made any enhancements with the newer models or made the handling any better.
I'm not knocking the Vulcan, it is a good bike for it's intended purpose. But like most cruisers the low stance and floorboards limit lean angles and because of the long wheel base, turn in is a bit slow with the tendency to feel like the bike is falling into the turn. It was a comfortable and steady bike out on the highway in it's element.
 
I'm assuming you are talking about the 900? I had a 2011 900 Classic and a 2009 1700 classic.

In my opinion the 900 is a much better bike, very reliable. The 1700s have clunky transmissions and throttle lag issues. Both are great bikes for the price and plenty of after market goodies available. All in all I'm much happier with my CB1100 than the two Kawis I had.
 
Thread starter
So then the same issue that plagues this bike is also the same about any other cruiser with floorboards such as the Honda Intersate or Shadow, Yamaha V-Stars, any Harley bike, etc....

Typical cruiser and not a corner carver like the 1100.

Long wheel base indeed now that I look at the total specs. But the specs on the 1100 say it is only 58 inch wheel base but it sure seems longer than that... The Vulcan wheel base is a whopping 94 inches, or shall I say over all length.

The floorboards would not be an issue as the model I am looking at has pegs instead of floorboards... Actually there is one with the floorboards, a Classic but I am looking at a Custom, actually two of them, one green lantern green and the other black...
Blockhead_imp said:
I'm assuming you are talking about the 900? I had a 2011 900 Classic and a 2009 1700 classic.

In my opinion the 900 is a much better bike, very reliable. The 1700s have clunky transmissions and throttle lag issues. Both are great bikes for the price and plenty of after market goodies available. All in all I'm much happier with my CB1100 than the two Kawis I had.
Thank you! Yes it is the 900 I am looking at. The Custom... However there is also a Classic there as well. Any input on the differences??? Other than the factory farkles?

I do like the stock bars on the Custom versus the wrist benders on the classic...

-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Upon further looking the Vulcan is not really that much longer than the CB1100. Sure the wheelbase on the 1100 is something like 58.7 inches but the total length is something like 88.90 inches. The Vulcan has a total length of 94.7 inches which makes it just under 6 inches longer. The wheel base on the Vulcan is also 64.8 inches which is in keeping with the 6 inch difference.

Now the major difference is the weight. The vulcan is a hefty 610 pounds whereas the 1100 is a lightweight 540-550 pounds.
 
Dbuster, the Yamaha Vstar 1100's are really nice to ride, I dont know exactly what it is about them but I had one back in 2000 and I enjoyed it so much that I bought a 2008 not long ago.They are bargains in the used market and you may find some brand new 08 or 09 last year of production left over at dealers.
 
DBuster, I have never ridden the 900 Custom, only the Classic. I am told the custom is a little more nimble in handling than the classic. If you're looking for a mid size cruiser the Vulcan is well worth the money if you compare it to some others. The riding position is pretty comfortable but I swear to you the first thing you will notice is that the stock seat is like a torture device, the most uncomfortable thing you ever sat on.....

That said, it felt like a definite upgrade in every aspect when I bought the CB....the reliability, handling and brakes are fantastic, plus it's a beautiful bike.
 
Thread starter
Blockhead_imp said:
DBuster, I have never ridden the 900 Custom, only the Classic. I am told the custom is a little more nimble in handling than the classic. If you're looking for a mid size cruiser the Vulcan is well worth the money if you compare it to some others. The riding position is pretty comfortable but I swear to you the first thing you will notice is that the stock seat is like a torture device, the most uncomfortable thing you ever sat on.....

That said, it felt like a definite upgrade in every aspect when I bought the CB....the reliability, handling and brakes are fantastic, plus it's a beautiful bike.
How would you rate the classic? Was it like driving a bus? I know it won't stand up against the cb1100.

Any stock seat can be a torture device. We are all unique and stock seats cater to not one individual so to some it might be torture. My stock 1100 seat is fine for rides of an hour anything more it is torture IMHO. Especially with my artificial hip something else is needed for those long runs... A Corbin I believe is in the future for my 1100!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
DBuster, I have never ridden the 900 Custom, only the Classic. I am told the custom is a little more nimble in handling than the classic. If you're looking for a mid size cruiser the Vulcan is well worth the money if you compare it to some others. The riding position is pretty comfortable but I swear to you the first thing you will notice is that the stock seat is like a torture device, the most uncomfortable thing you ever sat on.....

That said, it felt like a definite upgrade in every aspect when I bought the CB....the reliability, handling and brakes are fantastic, plus it's a beautiful bike.
How would you rate the classic? Was it like driving a bus? I know it won't stand up against the cb1100.

Any stock seat can be a torture device. We are all unique and stock seats cater to not one individual so to some it might be torture. My stock 1100 seat is fine for rides of an hour anything more it is torture IMHO. Especially with my artificial hip something else is needed for those long runs... A Corbin I believe is in the future for my 1100!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
How would you rate the classic? Was it like driving a bus? I know it won't stand up against the cb1100.

Any stock seat can be a torture device. We are all unique and stock seats cater to not one individual so to some it might be torture. My stock 1100 seat is fine for rides of an hour anything more it is torture IMHO. Especially with my artificial hip something else is needed for those long runs... A Corbin I believe is in the future for my 1100!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Sorry so late getting back to you...

As I said, the classic is a nice bike but different from our CBs but it has it's good qualities. The riding position is very comfortable along with a heel-toe shifter which I really liked. It doesn't handle the twisties anywhere near as nice as the CB but that's understandable. The price was right for me when I got mine. I paid $7100 (for the 900) out the door for a brand new leftover 2011 in early 2012. The bike stickered for $8200 plus fees...

There are usually tons of 900 models with low miles available for around $4000 or less in my area, I'm thinking of picking one up myself. Be careful with the 2006 model they are known for having stator problems but that seems to have been fixed from '07 on...
 
Thread starter
Blockhead_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
DBuster, I have never ridden the 900 Custom, only the Classic. I am told the custom is a little more nimble in handling than the classic. If you're looking for a mid size cruiser the Vulcan is well worth the money if you compare it to some others. The riding position is pretty comfortable but I swear to you the first thing you will notice is that the stock seat is like a torture device, the most uncomfortable thing you ever sat on.....

That said, it felt like a definite upgrade in every aspect when I bought the CB....the reliability, handling and brakes are fantastic, plus it's a beautiful bike.
How would you rate the classic? Was it like driving a bus? I know it won't stand up against the cb1100.

Any stock seat can be a torture device. We are all unique and stock seats cater to not one individual so to some it might be torture. My stock 1100 seat is fine for rides of an hour anything more it is torture IMHO. Especially with my artificial hip something else is needed for those long runs... A Corbin I believe is in the future for my 1100!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
How would you rate the classic? Was it like driving a bus? I know it won't stand up against the cb1100.

Any stock seat can be a torture device. We are all unique and stock seats cater to not one individual so to some it might be torture. My stock 1100 seat is fine for rides of an hour anything more it is torture IMHO. Especially with my artificial hip something else is needed for those long runs... A Corbin I believe is in the future for my 1100!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Sorry so late getting back to you...

As I said, the classic is a nice bike but different from our CBs but it has it's good qualities. The riding position is very comfortable along with a heel-toe shifter which I really liked. It doesn't handle the twisties anywhere near as nice as the CB but that's understandable. The price was right for me when I got mine. I paid $7100 (for the 900) out the door for a brand new leftover 2011 in early 2012. The bike stickered for $8200 plus fees...

There are usually tons of 900 models with low miles available for around $4000 or less in my area, I'm thinking of picking one up myself. Be careful with the 2006 model they are known for having stator problems but that seems to have been fixed from '07 on...
This dealership has at least one left over from 2011 and 2012! Zero miles and the full warranty still would apply... I believe they have them priced in the $6999 range. If I pull the trigger I would definitely be negotiating that down for sure. What would you recommend a good starting price point since they are technically 2 and 3 years old... since you have ridden them...
 
I would say that price that they quoted you is pretty good but you could probably get them to knock off a few hundred bucks. I would maybe start at $6500 and no prep fees and go from there. Every market area is different but that's what I would try to do.

Also as I said before be prepared to shell out a few hundred dollars for a new seat. You won't last 30 minutes on that stock seat, trust me. I actually had two different aftermarket seats that I used. I had a Mustang touring seat and a Saddleman solo seat. There's tons of options out there... Good luck with it...
 
Thread starter
So I took the wife today to look at the Vulcan... She likes the custom better than the classic as do I with how the bars are. Setting up a test ride on maybe the 21st if I get done with my dental appointment in a timely manner... Will try to get them to come down on the price or throw in a set of bags!

Of course everyone likes the 2014 with the green paint job but there are no deals on that bike...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Saw a black one in Italy this week. Looked pretty mean. It was the non chromed variant.

I thought of you and was going to take a picture but my phone was running out of memory..

Good luck with the negotiations. :D
 
My son has an '09 Vulcan Custom that I have the opportunity of riding from time to time. Last week we had such great weather and I had taken the CB1100 in for it's 600 mile service so the Vulcan was the commuter. Have to admit it is such a nice ride. Love the drag bars and the seating position is very comfortable. If you're looking at riding it solo it's a great bike but if you plan on riding 2 up I would look more towards the Star Stryker. The bikes are identical in riding style since they are the same style but the 1300cc engine makes the Stryker the one to have. In any case the Custom would be a very nice stable mate to your CB1100.
 
In the 900 cc cruiser class, don't rule out the Triumph America and Speedmaster. Good handling, for what they are, and lots of character. On a side note, isn't it interesting that the Japanese makers have subjugated their main brands for cruiser-only ones. Vulcan, Star, Shadow. In the case of Star, it doesn't even say Yamaha anywhere on the bike, and Vulcan (like Ninja on the sport bikes) is on the damn gas tank, while Kawasaki is buried on the side panel (or fairing). Are American cruiser buyers THAT prejudiced (or foolish) to require a different name on the bike? These bikes are sold worldwide with their proper brand names on the tanks.
 
Back
Top