Just purchased 2013 CB1100. Buzzy Bars

ambbmw_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just bought a pristine 2013 and love the look of the bike. It has aftermarket Trackside handlebars without bar ends or any weights. These bars look like dirt bike bars with the strut spanning the bars. The buzz feels like I'm riding a 250 single. Even at low speeds.

I am not seeing this coming up as an issue on the forum, other than a non feeling vibration that sneaks up on you after a while.

Want to pull the trigger on a stock handle bar setup. Thoughts? Anyone have a complete set for a 2013?
 
Until you find your stock handlebars with bar end weights, you might want to slip some Grip Puppies over your handle grips. You are going to need them anyway because the Honda Grips are hard and small in diameter. They will cramp your hands in less than an hour.
e4cf7ecd114c4b604b3088264c2cd1ae.jpg

They are available on Amazon.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
Until you find your stock handlebars with bar end weights, you might want to slip some Grip Puppies over your handle grips. You are going to need them anyway because the Honda Grips are hard and small in diameter. They will cramp your hands in less than an hour.
e4cf7ecd114c4b604b3088264c2cd1ae.jpg

They are available on Amazon.
Thanks for the idea. I've had these before on other bikes. Really gotta solve the problem or riding this bike is not going to work.
 
ambbmw_imp said:
Just bought a pristine 2013 and love the look of the bike. It has aftermarket Trackside handlebars without bar ends or any weights. These bars look like dirt bike bars with the strut spanning the bars. The buzz feels like I'm riding a 250 single. Even at low speeds.

I am not seeing this coming up as an issue on the forum, other than a non feeling vibration that sneaks up on you after a while.

Want to pull the trigger on a stock handle bar setup. Thoughts? Anyone have a complete set for a 2013?
Check in the "For Sale" section of this forum. I don't believe you can post there until you have a certain number of posts elsewhere herein, but I think you can look through the posts.

Also, welcome to the forum. I hope you get the buzz fixed soon so you can fully enjoy the bike.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
ambbmw_imp said:
Just bought a pristine 2013 and love the look of the bike. It has aftermarket Trackside handlebars without bar ends or any weights. These bars look like dirt bike bars with the strut spanning the bars. The buzz feels like I'm riding a 250 single. Even at low speeds.

I am not seeing this coming up as an issue on the forum, other than a non feeling vibration that sneaks up on you after a while.

Want to pull the trigger on a stock handle bar setup. Thoughts? Anyone have a complete set for a 2013?
Check in the "For Sale" section of this forum. I don't believe you can post there until you have a certain number of posts elsewhere herein, but I think you can look through the posts.

Also, welcome to the forum. I hope you get the buzz fixed soon so you can fully enjoy the bike.
Check in the "For Sale" section of this forum. I don't believe you can post there until you have a certain number of posts elsewhere herein, but I think you can look through the posts.

Also, welcome to the forum. I hope you get the buzz fixed soon so you can fully enjoy the bike.
You are correct sir I cannot post yet. I just want to make sure this is not normal before I pop for the bars. I have been looking at the For Sale section multiple times a day.

Forums are so great when you get a new bike. Long time rider of a little bit of everything. This is my play bike. Ride a 2015 BMW GS most of the time, and this bike is to cut down on the miles I put on my beemer.
 
I have the chrome end weights that i took off and put closed end old style grips on my bike. I did not take the inside attachment out and will not go back in . I do not have the buz , feels like a smooth 4 cly should.

Novice question here - what is that adjustable thingy bottom front right side that looks like it may be a counter balancer ?
 
"trackside bars" are junk so yeah other bars and bar ends will certainly be better. I've always used Renthal bars since they are heavier grade metal, but many many people are riding with stock bars just fine with bar ends and the grip puppies. Someone also mentioned making sure the engine bolts are all torqued to spec.
 
Thread starter
nhawk7504_imp said:
"trackside bars" are junk so yeah other bars and bar ends will certainly be better. I've always used Renthal bars since they are heavier grade metal, but many many people are riding with stock bars just fine with bar ends and the grip puppies. Someone also mentioned making sure the engine bolts are all torqued to spec.
Just checked all the engine bolts. Were torqued to spec. Set suspension back to stock also. Was set at 2 at the front and 1 in the rear. I agree on the bars. Will definitely replace.
 
use2b_imp said:
I have the chrome end weights that i took off and put closed end old style grips on my bike. I did not take the inside attachment out and will not go back in . I do not have the buz , feels like a smooth 4 cly should.

Novice question here - what is that adjustable thingy bottom front right side that looks like it may be a counter balancer ?
To answer your question; yes it is, made a video that includes the adjustment, normally not required but if you have a rattle in the lower crankcase it may snug it up.

Mark or photograph the original position, loosen the 10 mm bolt that is the clamp part ( the lower one ) until the shaft rotates, slowly rotate to the left with the engine running until there is a distinct whine audible, go back to the right until it clears and go another notch further before locking the clamp again without overtighning it.

Like this;

cheers max
 
Don't worry, I rode a 2013 without bar end weights and it would put my hands to sleep. After adding HVMP extra heavy bar end weights and grip puppies, the amplitude and frequency of the vibes have changed so much that it is a non-issue now. Just get the bars sorted and you'll be golden.
 
Ride a 1200cc Sportster for a couple hours at 80 MPH.
After that, you won't notice any vibration in your CB1100 handlebars!
Nortoon_imp said:
Until you find your stock handlebars with bar end weights, you might want to slip some Grip Puppies over your handle grips. You are going to need them anyway because the Honda Grips are hard and small in diameter. They will cramp your hands in less than an hour.
e4cf7ecd114c4b604b3088264c2cd1ae.jpg

They are available on Amazon.
Both hands, or just your throttle hand?
 
use2b_imp said:
I have the chrome end weights that i took off and put closed end old style grips on my bike. I did not take the inside attachment out and will not go back in . I do not have the buz , feels like a smooth 4 cly should.

Novice question here - what is that adjustable thingy bottom front right side that looks like it may be a counter balancer ?

As pictured with 2 bolts and arm = balancer shaft holder ( for backlash adjustment)

pb
 
Thread starter
Calcb_imp said:
Don't worry, I rode a 2013 without bar end weights and it would put my hands to sleep. After adding HVMP extra heavy bar end weights and grip puppies, the amplitude and frequency of the vibes have changed so much that it is a non-issue now. Just get the bars sorted and you'll be golden.
Good to know. It will be fine I'm sure.
 
ambbmw_imp said:
Just bought a pristine 2013 and love the look of the bike. It has aftermarket Trackside handlebars without bar ends or any weights. These bars look like dirt bike bars with the strut spanning the bars. The buzz feels like I'm riding a 250 single. Even at low speeds.

I am not seeing this coming up as an issue on the forum, other than a non feeling vibration that sneaks up on you after a while.

Want to pull the trigger on a stock handle bar setup. Thoughts? Anyone have a complete set for a 2013?
 
Back
Top