Just got it - Initial impressions

glenridgerich_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I picked up my CB (Black 2014 Standard) this past Friday. I thought I'd share my initial impressions: The best word I can use to describe this bike is Refined. When I threw my leg over the bike it felt different, special, substantial. The salesman described the bike as a "Gentleman's Bike" and I think he really nailed it. You immediately feel the quality and substance of the bike. Once finished with all of the paperwork, etc. it was time for a ride (it was about 47-48 degrees on Friday...a treat here in Jersey for this time of year). I rode about 70 miles and loved every inch of it. Initial observations: Silky smooth ride, great weight distribution, great suspension, great handling for a larger bike, it is extremely nimble, plenty of power and nice power delivery (not a torquey pull out from under you)...Very even and deliberate power. So far my only criticism is that the pipes are already discoloring. I'm 51 years old, while riding it I felt 18! I think I will enjoy this bike for a long time!
 
There is another thread headed 'backhanded compliment' under the 'in the press' section and you have just about summed up what everyone has been saying about the CB1100, and you got it on your first ride. It is difficult to describe to other riders but this bike just has 'It'.
 
Congrats and welcome!

You'll find it just gets better as it breaks in!
 
Congrats Rich it is indeed a fine machine. If you are a fan of gleaming chrome head pipes the stainless headers will disappoint you, but that should be the only thing about the bike that disappoints. Great motorcycle.
 
Nicely put Glen.. It struck me funny though when you said "larger bike". I dosn't feel like a larger bike to me, unless you are strictly referring to its engine size.
 
Congratulations! Your assessment is spot on! Every time I ride my CB the word "refined" keeps popping up in my head. Also, despite being a GS owner, I agree with the "larger bike" comment; every time I move the CB around the garage I think to myself, "Darn, this thing has a lot of weight between the axles!" :D
Regarding the head discoloration, you can ceramic coat the heads.

P.S. Jersey isn't too far from SW Virginia and the route would be amazing! You should come to the CB gathering in June: 2016 CB1100 Rally East - Bland, VA - June 1-4
 
Congratulations on your new CB1100! I certainly love mine, even the bronze colored headers have grown on me.

You'll love it more each time you ride it.

I saw my reflection in a store front window Friday, as I was riding by. At 6'2", I looked like a large bear on a little tricycle - like a circus image, lol.
 
Congratulations! I too know exactly what you mean. I have a few years on you and my CB takes me back about 40 years each time I ride it.

I participated on a group ride this past summer and there was a photographer on the side of the road, snapping shots as we rode by. I'm 6'6" -- the circus bear on a tricycle description is very apt. I don't care.
 
If it is an unsightly discoloration it could be that the prep guys didn't get all the cosmoline off of the pipes. Does it feel slightly textured? Nice clean stainless should have an even smooth glow. I noticed a little rainbow on the number one pipe the other day and it was just a spot of burned Cosmo. Mothers Metal Polish and a bit of elbow grease cleaned it up.
Steve
 
Greetings, Glen.

Congrats on your new bike! I too just bought a '14 Standard and did my 3rd ride since purchase on the 2nd! Your initial impressions are mine. My last new bike of this size was an '04 Sportster...quite a different experience this CB1100. It is strange to hear the wind more than the engine...I keep asking myself "is this thing even running?" when obviously it is...and very fine at that!
 
Good one Glen. I have learned to love my dirty headers.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Greetings, Glen.

Congrats on your new bike! I too just bought a '14 Standard and did my 3rd ride since purchase on the 2nd! Your initial impressions are mine. My last new bike of this size was an '04 Sportster...quite a different experience this CB1100. It is strange to hear the wind more than the engine...I keep asking myself "is this thing even running?" when obviously it is...and very fine at that!
I often think the same thing about the engine...whisper quiet.
 
glenridgerich_imp said:
I picked up my CB (Black 2014 Standard) this past Friday. I thought I'd share my initial impressions: The best word I can use to describe this bike is Refined. When I threw my leg over the bike it felt different, special, substantial. The salesman described the bike as a "Gentleman's Bike" and I think he really nailed it. You immediately feel the quality and substance of the bike. Once finished with all of the paperwork, etc. it was time for a ride (it was about 47-48 degrees on Friday...a treat here in Jersey for this time of year). I rode about 70 miles and loved every inch of it. Initial observations: Silky smooth ride, great weight distribution, great suspension, great handling for a larger bike, it is extremely nimble, plenty of power and nice power delivery (not a torquey pull out from under you)...Very even and deliberate power. So far my only criticism is that the pipes are already discoloring. I'm 51 years old, while riding it I felt 18! I think I will enjoy this bike for a long time!
You nailed it! Congratulations on the new bike and welcome!:beerchug:

Paulb_imp said:
There is another thread headed 'backhanded compliment' under the 'in the press' section and you have just about summed up what everyone has been saying about the CB1100, and you got it on your first ride. It is difficult to describe to other riders but this bike just has 'It'.
 
Thank you Steverino for your accurate description . This is quite what I feel
myself when I drive my CB. Perhaps also because she is black like yours ?

Guy
Sorry Glenridgerich, it was for you !
 
Back
Top