Just another great morning in the saddle

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Weather terrorists were predicting rain this afternoon (they were right for a change... it's 12:42 and pouring now) so I decided to get on the road early this morning.Pulled out about 6:45 I think. It was a gorgeous morning, about 72 degrees I would guess, kind of overcast... at least the sun wasn't bright yet, so I threw on my Cabela's windstopper shirt, over a short sleeved C-9 athletic shirt and my Tourmaster mesh jacket. If it got hot I could shed the windstopper and be nice and cool. HJC full face helmet, summer weight Cortech gloves, short top Alpinestar boots and jeans completed the wardrobe.



About an hour into the ride I rolled thru a little town called Williamsburg, and rode past a donuts shop called Holtman's. Been past it many times. Always admired the mural painted on the side of the building, but had never stopped in. About 1/2 block down the road I got a hankering for a Chocolate topped Eclair with real custard filling so I pulled a legal U turn in a parking lot and drove back to the shop.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF7021_zps2mqm1ida.jpg.html]

Since my wife had slept in this morning while I was out riding, I picked up 2 of the eclairs and would take them back to share with my bride.

A nice curvy north-south road with some small elevation changes runs between Williamsburg and the town of Bethel, the next town east of my house, so that's the route I took. It's actually an old Indian/buffalo route the gov't turned into a state route many years ago (St Rt 133) and it runs all the way to the Ohio river, where there was a camp along a small creek that emptied into the Ohio River where buffalo hides were processed. The area is called Bull Skin Creek.

Anyhow once I reached Bethel, I turned west on St Rt 125 (another great road that runs E-W from Cincinnati to the Ohio River near Portsmouth Ohio) then hit some back roads toward home. Flying along I spotted a big ol turtle on the side of the road, so I swung around for a better look

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF7022_zpsyn2edhej.jpg.html]

Yiiii, a big ol snapper

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF7023_zpsdphkli2v.jpg.html]

It may be turtle saving season, but this bigger than a dinner plate dude was on his own getting across the highway. These turtle have sharp beaks and incredibly strong bites, and I've heard once they clamp down they are not letting go (even if you cut their head off).

Got home, made a couple cups of hot tea, and my wife I and enjoyed breakfast on the screened deck out back watching the Phoebes, Goldfinches, Titmice, Chickadees, Cardinals, House Finches, Nuthatches, Hummingbirds etc visiting her feeders. Life is good today.

Anyhow a really nice ride, the 88th day in a row, and 147th day I've ridden this year totaling 12,404 miles. With a goal of 20K + miles and riding 340 days, things are looking pretty good.
 
The snapper also has an usually long neck. If you pick then up by the center of their shell, they can bite you.
There are a number of large rain water settlement ponds (small lakes really) in my area. The turtles love them. While walking I spotted one moving from the river to a pond. He was so huge I just stopped well back until he crossed the path and slid into the pond. Probably could not have picked it up if I was stupid enough to try.

On most of my day rides it is not unusual to see a painter turtle trying to cross the road. I pick them up and find a suitable spot to let them go. Sometimes it requires a ride in my tank bag.

It is also not unusual to see deer when I ride the back roads. Today I made good use of the EX's ABS brakes to avoid hitting a tiny spotted fawn. It tried to stay on the road and outrun me. But decided the bush was the better option when I pulled up beside it.
 
Looks like a great way to start the day! I think the only way to beat this heat is to do early rides like this!
 
Thread starter
Early and late when it's like this. Last couple nights been riding between 7:30 and 9:00. Just have to dodge the deer lol
 
Nice. I'll have to try those roads sometime. I don't know if you get that far east, but I did a loop of 141-325-775 this last Friday. SR 141 was brand spankin' new pavement.

I also find that roads that have been tar snaked are much better in the cool of the morning. As an example, 775 mentioned above is tar snaked to a fare-thee-well but in the early hours, it's not so bad. Once it gets into the heat of the day, those snakes make for squishy riding.
 
Thread starter
:rofl: I can avoid the singles, it's when there are herds of them on the highway I have troubles
 
Thank you for the nice morning story.
How could it be better. You woke up in the morning, you have a bike, a CB1100, you have the time for a ride and when you come back, you and your wife having breakfast in the garden, after you managed to be on the road, see nice views, escape wild and dangerous animals. A wonderful live with a CB1100... :-)
 
coliban_imp said:
Thank you for the nice morning story.
How could it be better. You woke up in the morning, you have a bike, a CB1100, you have the time for a ride and when you come back, you and your wife having breakfast in the garden, after you managed to be on the road, see nice views, escape wild and dangerous animals. A wonderful live with a CB1100... :-)
And you don't have to water the garden because it's rained! Perfect.
 
Thread starter
I knew you guys would " get it". Lol

Today is going to be a bit more challenging. Woke up to pouring down rain. Supposed to rain all day. Will watch radar for a hole to get a ride in, but have to leave for a funeral service at 2 which is 2 1/2 hours away. ( m/c friend that had a heart attack while riding to the ST rally Friday... We buried my friend John Sat & Sun....It's been a rough week).

May end up riding in the rain. Oh well, they can't all be picture perfect lol.
 
"The man wakes and like he does every morning since his retirement, has a simple breakfast, kisses his wife on the cheek, and heads to the garage for his morning motorcycle ride. Of the many reasons he rides daily, he supposes that this day's reason is at once the least favorite and the most powerful. He had lost a dear friend and fellow motorcyclist last week and will be attending a funeral of a another motorcyclist and friend this afternoon. Time was rolling on and today's ride is in remembrance.

He turns his bike out of his driveway and onto the tree lined street, partially spotted dark with the light rain which had just begun to filter through the sieve of overseas leaves and branches. He continues on his route through the filling hills of the Ohio River valley,listening to the raindrops echoing in his helmet, smelling that unique and pleasant aroma of fresh rain on asphalt, and seeing the bright greens of the wet grass bordering his route contrasted against the gray skies beyond. Yes, it was a picture perfect day for a motorcycle ride. At least for this motorcycle ride."
 
Thread starter
OMG Sea that was awesome! and just describes today's ride to a T.

Shortly after posting this morning, the rain slowed down, and I indeed did exactly what you described. Finished my tea, got dressed, kissed my wife who was still sleeping, went to the garage and pulled out a bike, warmed it up, and then headed down the road under the trees lining the road. 52 miles in a light drizzle on the ST. On the ride I told Bill today's ride was for him. When I got home my wife was awake and asked how the ride was? "Not too bad" I said," better than I expected". Today i ended up turning around at 133 (Bull Skin Creek) from the other direction..south on 132, east on 52 along the river to the intersection of 52 and 133. I like to take straighter, flatter roads when it's raining and that's 52 or 125 before you get to Georgetown, Ohio. Today I picked 52 and it wasn't until I got to Bull Skin that I thought about it's link to yesterdays ride.
 
ferret that was a great ride report! I love these ride reports that highlight the simple pleasures of every day life that we should all take notice of as we strive to be more contemplative. The turtle sighting was great and I loved the ending with the bird watching. I'm a big fan of backyard bird watching, although I only feed in the winter. In the spring and summer I tend my trail of bluebird boxes. We've had several broods this season. I also enjoyed the history of the area that you rode through. History is important for us to understand the meaning of time and place.

Sea your prose is wonderful! Thanks for sharing your talent for writing in such an engaging manner with us.
 
Wow that was great ES

Ferret brings passion we all can relate but id snatched up that turtle after hitting the brake , shortened the trip after making the loop cleaned her up and made me some soup :thumbsup:

love seeing the tall wheat looking grass and green trees in the 1st pic
 
Thanks use2b and thanks all for self-translating my typos. Hard for me to type a story on to my iphone at 6:30am without there being some errors.
 
Back
Top