Janus Halcyon 450

Thread starter
Thanks for your comments & interest. I’ve got a ‘67 VW waiting for me to install dual carbs, but this bike keeps pulling me away.
Took it on a 50 mile run; the end weights made a noticeable difference between 4200-6000rpms, kinda cool!
No, I’m not finished with it yet. While looking the bike over, I noticed a bracket for a center stand. Janus doesn’t offer it as an option or accessory. This might take a bit more work, but it would be nice to have a stand.
The tail light/turn signal wiring is routed outside and along a curved support bar for the rear fender. Always thought it looked out place. Ended up drilling a couple of holes and ran the wires through the bar. While I was at it; drilled a couple of small holes for drains at the end points.
Sorry, didn’t take a before photo. If you look closely, you’ll see the rubber coated aluminum “tie wraps” on the bike lift that was used to hold the wiring harness in place.

 
Thread starter
No worries on the salt. We’ve had enough rain to wash it away.

Took the bike out today. Averaged 55mpg with gusting winds. Pretty sure 60mpg is achievable. Bike ran well and shifted through the gears smoothly.
Stopped in Centreville for a photo in front of the covered bridge. Headed south to Goshen, Indiana to visit the Janus headquarters/factory. Had a great ride and time in Goshen.

Some pics





 
Did they like your bar ends and tail light?
 
Bike — and bar ends — look great. I like the optical illusion in the photo of the covered bridge that makes it look like the sign is twice the width of the bridge.
 
Thread starter
Thanks

The ferret_imp said:
Did they like your bar ends and tail light?
They came out to see the bike, and really liked the bar ends & tail light. Stayed there for about an hour talking with Woody (part-time, do it all employee, retired cool guy). He owns the original 450 prototype, #HM-000. It was on the lift and was cool seeing the various differences from the current production model. He had a vintage triumph 7” headlight that got my attention.
Woody also showed me a 450 engine torn apart. My eyes were glued…. Finally got my answer as to which clutch basket it comes with. Now I’m pretty sure a kick start is possible (stay tuned). Also found out the engine has an automatic decompression mechanism. Oooh, now we’re talk’n!!!
Got about 280 miles on it, weather looks favorable this weekend for more riding.
Swapped stories with Woody and shared photos. He had his bike on wooden blocks raising the rear tire. Works, but I think he’s going to make an adapter like I did.

Scissor type jack is nice to have, and you can block it to accommodate variations in frames.



Shot looking under the bike with the jack & adapter in place.



Made from scraps in the shop, hole in base plate was already there, serves no function.

 
Thread starter
Put a few more miles on her, getting closer to the first oil change. Excited about the possibility of installing a kick start assembly (I think I’ve got the parts).
South Haven, Michigan was todays ride. Tomorrow I’m headed to Jackson, Michigan.

 
It is lookin' older with every update, Ray.

Unlike most modern retros, this one deserves the kickstarter.

More importantly, witnessing a kick start-up in-action will likely delight many folks.
 
Thread starter
Thought some might appreciate updates.

Photo taken in Concord, Michigan. Note the rear rack and 30ml fuel bottle (some mistake it for a fire extinguisher).

Working on the kick start assembly. So far have milled a side cover for the seal. Also, have the extended shaft to a point where it needs to be welded, machined and heat treated. Might get to this later this week or next.
 
Thread starter
I tried posting photos of the kick start shaft & side cover, but I think they were too large.
 
The file size must be less than 250kb.
 
Or you can use a hosting site.
 
Back
Top