It finally happened

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
After 6 years the original battery died. I unplugged the tender, rolled the bike out of it's nest, turned the key on and when I hit the kill switch to on....dead. I checked the battery with a VOM...10.80 V with everything off, but when I turn the bike on it drops to 0.5 V.
I have a new one on the way and it should be here sometime this week.
 
Randy B_imp said:
After 6 years the original battery died. I unplugged the tender, rolled the bike out of it's nest, turned the key on and when I hit the kill switch to on....dead. I checked the battery with a VOM...10.80 V with everything off, but when I turn the bike on it drops to 0.5 V.
I have a new one on the way and it should be here sometime this week.
Better at home than on the road :banana:
 
6 years? That’s amazing, RandyB.
 
Thassa long time for a battery
 
I also just replaced my battery. Dead as a doornail. I never used a tender, or had to use a charger. I abused and neglected that poor battery. 6 years seems pretty good to me as well.
 
How long did yours last Obliviontoad?
 
That's very good life for a battery that lived in a fairly warm climate. Heat is the bane of a battery.
Up here where it's cooler, and we have a six month winter layover, my batteries easily last 6-8 years.
Years ago I was out on my Honda Hawk and had stopped for gas. When I hit the starter the engine groaned into life - a clear signal that the battery was about to quit. I made it home OK and bought a new battery ASAP.
Last summer a similar thing happened when I was miles from home on my Bonneville. When I returned to the bike after lunch it barley came to life. Once again I made it home OK and had a new battery ASAP.
I'm not pushing the brand, but I only use Yuasa batteries.
 
I only use the OEM Yuasa batteries and in the past I replaced them every 3 years regardless if they were still good. After buying a battery load tester I replace them every 4 years. Tester not cheap but very useful.
 
I have been fortunate to always get over five years out of a battery, bikes and cages and without interruption of service. The longest was around seven and it didn't really need it until the next deep cold winter. I do not leave the battery on a tendering charge continuously.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I have been fortunate to always get over five years out of a battery, bikes and cages and without interruption of service. The longest was around seven and it didn't really need it until the next deep cold winter. I do not leave the battery on a tendering charge continuously.
Neither do I.
For winter storage, I remove the batteries from all the bikes except the 1100. It's buried down deep and has a pigtail on it so I leave it.
Once a month I pull them out and hook each one up to my Optimate charger for 24 hours and then put them back where it's cool and dry.
 
When I bought my six-year-old bike a few months ago, the original owner told me that the bike had its original battery, so he couldn't promise how much longer it would last. He kept it on a Harbor Freight tender, which he gave me with the bike.

I was dubious, but still rode on that OEM battery for a few months before a couple of slow cranks gave me enough of a reason to buy a new one. That was a pleasant change from my BMW, which would go through a Yuasa about every three years.

Clock is ticking on my Bonneville. It's battery is on year five...
 
Thread starter
4a4e169600718b3c2f1f2c4cd94dbeb4.jpg

Voltage of new battery right out of the box.
a9ee3024ce58ea3a631698be61d0bd7d.jpg

Voltage of the old battery after being on a 10A charge for 6 hours and then left to sit overnight.
b9119ff7731f7373917de913a119de8f.jpg

All done. :D:D
ffb78c2a937a546d024f153b0244543d.jpg
 
Congrats Randy. I assume you mean a 1 amp charger and not a 10 amp charger. Motorcycle batteries are low amperage units. That would be a lot of voltage going into that battery if you used a 10 amp charger.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Congrats Randy. I assume you mean a 1 amp charger and not a 10 amp charger. Motorcycle batteries are low amperage units. That would be a lot of voltage going into that battery if you used a 10 amp charger.
Voltage is constant, a lot of Amps you meant...for sure not 10A for this battery :P
:beerchug:
 
yes amps, typo. Thanks for catching that PB
 
The battery will draw the current it needs to charge the cells to their full voltage potential and then drop to a trickle.

Using the 10A charger means a partially discharged battery will draw too much current and "bake" itself. Using a 1A charger will limit the "bake" to a maximum of 1A. Best to use the so called "smart chargers" that regulate and cycle the charging for you so the cells to not prematurely fail.
 
Back
Top