Is this purely cosmetic?

nine876_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm looking for a little advice before I buy a 2013 CB1100. It's a non ABS model with just under 1000 miles and I haven't seen it in person. Also, it's my first bike.

I've spoken with the dealer a few times and between conversations I'm told a mechanic took the bike for a ride and a fouled spark plug caused discoloration throughout the exhaust system. He's had the bike for about six months and said it was often started and moved between the lot and the shop without really being ridden.

Could there be that much build up on the plugs with such low miles? Also, is there anything to be concerned about besides the cosmetics?

 
Fouled spark plugs sounds like nonsense to me. That bike should have never been delivered with tarnish on the exhaust. A good chrome polish paste like Semi-chrome and much elbow grease should remove the tarnish. Tarnish buildup on the headers from the head down to the collector is normal but is usually just a golden discoloration. The brown tarnish is what happens when running a hot exhaust in wet conditions which is what appears to have happened to your pipes.
 
This exhaust looks like it had become really hot once, with that deep blue color. That's not normal, I wouldn't buy that bike. Also header No 1 looks more blue downwards than the others.
 
Redbirds,

What would make the can so blue? I polish my muffler every now and then, but I haven't seen any blue like that. Don't remember seeing any like that on the board either. And I just looked, no blue anywhere.
 
Looking at the pics again, that muffler looks as though there has been some serious overheating in the past. I am in agreement with others here and would look elsewhere.
 
The catalytic converter could have overheated from a rich condition... may have had O2 sensor problem. I'd keep looking for another bike unless you're planning on an a complete aftermarket exhaust system and you can get a really good deal on this one.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the feedback.

Photos of the bike from a few days ago don't show any discoloration on the pipes so I thought the explanation he gave me made some sense... Bike sat for several months being started and stopped without being ridden... Build up on plugs caused one to foul and gas flowed through an already hot exhaust pipe, causing the discoloration.

Is there a way to check the O2 sensor?

Also, the price we agreed on is $5500. If the pipes are the only problem, I think the price is fair.
 
If the bike seriously overheated I wouldn't just be concerned about the pipes. I'd wonder if the engine or the cat suffered some damage that will bite you a year down the road.. Engines are expensive.

They know they'll have a hard time selling that one, that's why they already came down to $5500.

Just walk away.
 
Could there be cat. converter damage?

Also Nine876, there are procedures in the service manual to check O2 sensor operation. Your dealer can use the HDS tester. Is there a check engine light (called the MIL--malfunction indicator light)? If so, the HDS can pull the DTC (diagnostic trouble code).

From Wiki (yeah, I know) :

Any condition that causes abnormally high levels of unburned hydrocarbons—raw or partially burnt fuel—to reach the converter will tend to significantly elevate its temperature, bringing the risk of a meltdown of the substrate and resultant catalytic deactivation and severe exhaust restriction. Vehicles equipped with OBD-II diagnostic systems are designed to alert the driver to a misfire condition by means of flashing the "check engine" light on the dashboard
 
The only way I would buy that bike is if, firstly, the dealer cleaned it up before sale. Secondly I would want a written "as new" warranty on it.

However, I would say that you should heed the advice above and look for another unit. The comments above are from blokes who know what they are talking about.

Interesting that you are considering a CB as your first bike. Why not go for something a little lighter until you have built up some experience? Something that you can drop without causing too much damage to your wallet.

Cheers.
 
"Is this purely cosmetic?"

I doubt that there is any way to guarantee that this is just cosmetic.

I suppose if the dealer will willing to throw in a warrantee for X number of years, then the bike might be worth considering (although I probably wouldn't). The best option would be to keep looking.
 
Thread starter
Although I was hoping to hear otherwise, I appreciate the advice and will walk away from this one. The right bike will come along in time.

For what it's worth, the VIN on this one is JH2SC6516DK000610. Maybe the bike's next suitor will come across this thread.
 
Wise decision. Good luck in your search for a bike. If none are available in ND, then I am sure that if you are willing to make a pick up ride then members of this forum, in reasonably close proximity, will assist you in your search. Most keep there eyes open around dealers.

Cheers
 
I just bought a 2014 Black Standard, new 0 miles never had a battery or gas off a Honda dealers show room floor for $7995. I think the machanic must have been beating on it pretty hard to do that to it, dumb a__.
There is a new 2014 CB1100 STD in Wisconsin for $8500.
On ebay
 
It takes a lot of heat to discolor the chrome plated can like that. That looks a lot like a bike that I saw at my local shop. One of the mechanics left it idling outside to warm up the oil for a change. He forgot about it for over half an hour and by the time he remembered it was close to meltdown. Ultimately the oil that came out of it was coal black and the consistency of water. I really wouldn't trust the longevity of an engine that had been through an extreme heat event like that.
 
Back
Top