Is the Polaris 3 wheeler a motorcycle?

Regardless of whatever we think the Slingshot should be classified as, Since Campagna's T-Rex and the British Morgans are licensed as motorcycles, so should the Slingshot, IMO.

But, since we are a grouping of 50 states, those states are in the most part free to classify them as they see fit.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Seems some states laws say it is not a motorcycle...no handlebar, no saddle. I'm thinking it is more car than motorcycle?
Slingshot misfires: Sales delayed in some states - RevZilla
Not sure what other states have banned the Slingshot, but Texas has done so based on semantics (seat or saddle). Dealerships here are P/O'd, I can tell you that much. Looks like are are stuck until the next legislative session and no guarantee it will be resolved.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Seems some states laws say it is not a motorcycle...no handlebar, no saddle. I'm thinking it is more car than motorcycle?
Slingshot misfires: Sales delayed in some states - RevZilla
I'd tend to agree. It definitely has more in common with a car than a motorcycle (i.e. bucket seats, steering wheel, hand shift, accelerator pedal...).

Three wheeled cars have been around for about as long as there have been cars. I'm surprised that this hasn't come up before.

efef850d1eb5241f835a449864ea8fe2.jpg


Personally, I think there should be a separate classification for these types of vehicles. They tend to be light and designed for high efficiency. Adding the standard safety gear required for full sized cars kinda defeats the purpose.
 
Ready to be further confused?

Three-wheeled car buyers won't have to take motorcycle test

I love this line ....

"His main concern is the five states that require drivers of three-wheeled vehicles to wear a helmet.

He says those laws must be changed by the time the Elio is for sale, because wearing a helmet in a car obscures the person's vision and hearing, and the weight of the helmet also has the potential to cause severe neck damage in an accident."
 
A separate classification is needed as more of these type vehicles become available. A motorcycle certification on a driver's license is certainly not needed but as Flynrider stated, classifying them with cars would add greatly to their weight, complexity and cost. If it becomes a reality the Elio will probably be next three wheeler to come to market.
 
The Elio is a little different. The company only refers to it as a "vehicle", never referring to it as a car or a motorcycle. Yet, in other web pages they state they expect it to have a five star safety rating. Only cars not motorcycles are tested in that manner. So, is Elio treading carefully, seeing which way the wind blows, to see what type of vehicle would be easier to register before they commit to calling it one or the other?
 
Been watching the Elio for a year and a half now. This is due to their plan to locate a plant here in a closed GM plant. I'd say it is very uncertain if they get funding to go into production.
 
Just bring the Baja to USA, as we will soon be a third world economy and be done with it. I suffer with them in my worldly travels as it is.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elio states their "car" will be considered a motorcycle by law. Their crash safety engineering is something they are doing as a selling point. I do hope they are able to secure the needed loans as the concept is interesting. I find their fuel mileage claims a bit unrealistic however. We'll see.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Elio states their "car" will be considered a motorcycle by law. Their crash safety engineering is something they are doing as a selling point. I do hope they are able to secure the needed loans as the concept is interesting. I find their fuel mileage claims a bit unrealistic however. We'll see.
I noticed that as well. 84 mpg at highway speeds sounds a bit far fetched for even a small two seat car. You'd be hard pressed to get that kind of highway mileage from a 250cc motorcycle.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Elio states their "car" will be considered a motorcycle by law. Their crash safety engineering is something they are doing as a selling point. I do hope they are able to secure the needed loans as the concept is interesting. I find their fuel mileage claims a bit unrealistic however. We'll see.
I noticed that as well. 84 mpg at highway speeds sounds a bit far fetched for even a small two seat car. You'd be hard pressed to get that kind of highway mileage from a 250cc motorcycle.
I noticed that as well. 84 mpg at highway speeds sounds a bit far fetched for even a small two seat car. You'd be hard pressed to get that kind of highway mileage from a 250cc motorcycle.
I kind of doubt it too but it is only one person wide, so it's a little like a full enclosed fairing motorcycle.
 
Back
Top