Is the CB1100 no more?

Ha, Ferret. I rent a GS every opportunity that MotoQuest has a transporter special running from San Francisco to L.A. I’m a short guy and the bike seems huge at first, but you get used to it almost instantly. After three days in that comfy saddle however, I feel like I’m getting on a child’s bicycle when I get back on my own bike.

There were a few very low mile Guzzi V7s in the used area at the dealership when I checked out the Katana on Saturday. Studied the details of them and man, they were pretty, but gotta wonder why they were traded in at a non-Guzzi dealership with barely any miles on them.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ha, Ferret. I rent a GS every opportunity that MotoQuest has a transporter special running from San Francisco to L.A. I’m a short guy and the bike seems huge at first, but you get used to it almost instantly. After three days in that comfy saddle however, I feel like I’m getting on a child’s bicycle when I get back on my own bike.

There were a few very low mile Guzzi V7s in the used area at the dealership when I checked out the Katana on Saturday. Studied the details of them and man, they were pretty, but gotta wonder why they were traded in at a non-Guzzi dealership with barely any miles on them.
What is short? I'm 5'6" with a 27" inseam. At 5'9" I could see where there wouldn't be an issue.

answer to your wondering part... they have no power lol. V7 is very romantic motorcycle, sleek, conjures up images of Guzzi cafe racers, but get out in traffic on one and you'll understand. They are pretty much gutless unless you run the ever living snot out of them. A little over 1/2 the HP of a CB1100. 52 vs 88. They are ok on deserted back roads where no one is pushing you I suppose, particularly if you are not in a hurry.
 
Ok, I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam, so I might have a few inches on ya, but not much.

I can understand how a hopelessly under-powered Guzzi would be a liability in Southern California traffic. This is funny - they recently opened a Triumph/Guzzi dealership just down the road from the dealer where I saw the used V7s. Perhaps a couple of guys fell in love with the V7s at the one dealership, left, entered the freeway and realized they were about to be run over, and exited two miles up to the next dealership to trade for something with a few more beans?
 
Hi all. Just picking up on everyone's comments since yesterday. I tried both the V7 iii and then a V9. As others have commented they are actually very nice bikes to ride, handle well, light, decent brakes and comfort. No, they weren't fast but were fast enough to get a nice flow on. Apart from the fact the CB's are stunning and soon to be unavailable the main 2 reasons for trading the Guzzi were that the dealer network isn't great here AND they have an overdue service indicator on the dash that the dealer has to turn off. Can't do it yourself. I enjoy home servicing and part of the long term charm and bonding with your bike is obviously discouraged. 1st service includes tappet check ( on cold engine) So with no option other than get it dealer serviced I was going to have to ride the bike there, leave it, take a demo bike away and come back home. Then return the following day or day after to swap over, get mine back, and then drive home. Each would be a good 5 hour round trip, down motorways! Just too much faff.
 
Jfro, with the cylinders sticking out on both sides, seems like access to the valves would be fairly easy, as long as there's no trickery in removing cam covers. When I had my R1200R, with the exposed twin cylinders, valve adjustments were exceedingly simple. Also I had a tool called a GS911, which plugged into the BMW ECU port and a laptop, and allowed a user to reset the service reminder light, and perform the typical dealer-only diagnostics. Perhaps a similar tool is available for Guzzis -

Wait, just re-read your post about trading in a Guzzi, this may all be moot, sorry!
 
The valve inspection on a V7 is easier than on a R1200, simply by virtue of its 2-valve (vs. 4-valve) head. Screw and locknut adjustment on both. Twenty minute job.

To claim the V7 is underpowered is no different than saying the CB1100 is underpowered. On an absolute scale, sure, both are dogs, but the engines, gearing, and power delivery fit the character of each bike quite nicely.
 
For the individual I dont think it's difficult at all. For me the V7 was so underpowered I would never consider owning one. On the other hand for me the CB has enough power to entertain me. So much so, that I bought 2 of them. Does the CB have as much power as my FJR? Heavens no, but to me the FJR has too much power. To me the perfect combo would be 100 hp and 75 ft lbs of torque. These are satisfying numbers for a street bike from my experience. At 89 and 69 the CB comes a lot closer than the 52 and 60 of the V7.
 
Sadly, when I watch a bunch of riders cross my path at an intersection, any Guzzis in the pack always seem to be taking up the rear (never leading).

Nevertheless, they are still nice to watch and listen to.
 
I had a Honda CB500X when I was on my learner/restricted licence. It had 47hp and I loved it, I kept riding it long after I had my full licence.
It wasn't the most powerful of beasts, and the suspension was basic, but it was just fun to ride.
There is a certain joy in thrashing the cuss out of a motorbike, and on the X it was all legal lol.
 
I have a 2015 V7 and it has become one of my favorite bikes. It will never make you scream in your helmet after a full throttle blast, but it is just such a good all arounder and plain fun to ride.

I have way more than my share of motorcycles, but I have thought about what bike would be left in my garage if I had to trim down to just one bike...and it would be the V7. I like it that much.


 
I understand how you guys feel. I really do. Some people find a Honda CB300 or Ninja 300 or R3 Yamaha has enough power. I don't. Heck some people think a Grom has plenty of power...I really don't. lol

Among the bikes I thought I would be happy with over the last 15 years Nighthawk 750 75 hp 65 ft lbs (not enough horsepower or brakes for me) Triumph Bonneville T-100 ...865cc... 61HP 45 ft lbs (Not enough horsepower or brakes for me) I just got no thrill out of riding them. I have a CB 500X in the garage. I have to force myself to take it out and ride it cause it just doesn't have enough horsepower and brakes for me.

I also had bike with too much HP for me

Yamaha FZ-1... 126 HP 66 FT lbs Honda ST 1300.. 125 HP 85 ft lbs.. Yamaha FJR 146 HP 99 ft lbs ..... all with too much hp plenty of brakes.

These numbers combined with the experience of riding them says for ME, a motorcycle should have 100 hp and 75 ft lbs of torque.

So I have bikes with 50 hp , 89 hp and 146 hp in the garage, and if I could only keep one it would be the 89 hp CB 1100
 
That is a pretty bike, Dave. Your V7 sounds like my Bonneville... the one bike I just never get tired of. I've bought and sold other bikes in my stable, the most recent going from a BMW to my CB, but I have never considered selling the Bonneville. It's not fast, it doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but it's comfortable and has never had a mechanical hiccup whatsoever. It just takes me to work and back, humming away.

On paper, the V7 sounds like my dream bike - shaft drive, easy access to engine maintenance, looks great. My Bonneville is at the minimum threshold of what I'd consider adequate for power - sure, it will go 80 all day, but it's happier at 65, but in traffic, I'm not thinking of how fast I can go. I've just never considered a Guzzi. Anything I ever read about it said it didn't have enough power, and until just recently, there wasn't a dealer near me. And frankly, the new showroom in town looks pretty, but I don't give it long, especially if the market turns just the least bit sour.

All this talking about V7s got me searching Craig's this morning as I was waking up. Seems there are just as many recent, sub-2000 mile Guzzis out there as there are Bonnevilles. I think it might be because both bikes are pretty, and conjure up images of cruising up to a coffee house on one, and standing back as people admire it. It's the image that sells, and it becomes a passionate impulse buy, rather than a logical purchase to perform a task, like touring or commuting. "I've always wanted a motorcycle, and this one looks really cool."

Two years later, when it's taking up room in the garage, and the wife complains that he never rides it, off it goes, to the next owner who scores a deal. A guy like me, who bought my two year old Bonneville with 800 miles on it, while the guys wife stood behind us, arms crossed, hoping I'd buy this useless object that was taking up space.
 
My love for the V7 is aided by the fact that I am a big fan of the marquee.

My current Guzzi stable
2016 Griso
2015 Norge
2015 V7
2004 V11S
1993 1000S
1977 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1974 Eldorado
1973 V7 Sport
1968 V700
 
Dave Swanson_imp said:
My love for the V7 is aided by the fact that I am a big fan of the marquee.

My current Guzzi stable
2016 Griso
2015 Norge
2015 V7
2004 V11S
1993 1000S
1977 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1974 Eldorado
1973 V7 Sport
1968 V700

Mmmm, Griso. Great lookin' bike.
 
m in sc_imp said:
ferret, its not just the HP but how its delivered. I have a few sub 50hp bikes that will curl your toes, and trust me, ive seen it happen with my friends that ride them that are used to 100+ hp bikes.

HP is nice, but its how its delivered thats more important i think.
I'm aware hence the need for 75 ft lbs. A bike with high hp and no torque is no more fun for me than a bike with low hp and no torque.

For ME (my requirement to enjoy the bike) has to be able to pull top gear down to 30 mph and take off again without protest, and it has to have enough acceleration to put a big ol smile on my face. I have basically been riding 4 cyl liter bikes since 1977. To me there is nothing as satisfying. I've owned Aermacchi, Harley, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki,Kawasaki and BSA's..singles, twins V & P, triples, fours I and V (and have ridden sixes...also ridden BMW's Ducati's and KTMs) Autos, 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds and 6 speeds, air cooled and water cooled, 2 strokes and 4 strokes,(I think 31 street bikes, maybe 32 at last count I've owned since 1965) and at this time have pretty much narrowed down what floats my boat. Sub 75 hp bikes with less than 60 ft lbs of torque don't float my boat.

Your mileage may vary (and probably does)
 
Man, Dave, that's quite a collection, and a dedicated one at that. You need to get out to L.A. and check out the Italian bike display at the Petersen. When I was shopping for a bike to replace my last R1200R, I was giving the Griso in the new local dealership a hard look, especially when they said it had been there a while, and they'd make me a great deal. But, I had just soured on a German bike, so Italian didn't seem like a step in the right direction at the time.
 
Yeah, somehow I don't think I'd be able to sully the lines of the Griso with my Givi work trunk. The CB doesn't mind it so much.
 
Back
Top