Is the CB1100 no more?

VLJ_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
soulmachine_imp said:
Which counties within the US post in KPH?
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.

Recently spotted in Kentucky (quite surprising).

Possibly FL and AZ only because my memory is fading.
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.
Hmmmm. I live in NoCal and have been riding here for a couple of decades. I've ridden in all 58 counties in California, and regularly ride in NoCal. I've never seen a speed limit posted in KPH here; not on a highway, a county road, a city street...anywhere.

Not saying you're wrong. I just haven't seen such a thing here.
I would often visit the Silicon Valley area and noticed them back in the '90s into the mid-2000s. I just assumed CA - particularly that area of CA was more forward-looking given the concentration of technology. The counties would have been in more "rural" areas, but cannot remember where. In any case, thought nothing of it after the first time.

The U.S. feds approved the use of metric speed signage back in '75, but left it up to jurisdictions to implement, if they wished.

Is it possible the signage was rounded up and reverted to the antiquated imperial-based system? (if so, that would have been so seemingly un-Californian)
 
VLJ_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
soulmachine_imp said:
Which counties within the US post in KPH?
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.

Recently spotted in Kentucky (quite surprising).

Possibly FL and AZ only because my memory is fading.
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.
Hmmmm. I live in NoCal and have been riding here for a couple of decades. I've ridden in all 58 counties in California, and regularly ride in NoCal. I've never seen a speed limit posted in KPH here; not on a highway, a county road, a city street...anywhere.

Not saying you're wrong. I just haven't seen such a thing here.
Can't speak for CA, but I used to live in Phoenix and remember driving south of Tucson where signs are in kilos. Or maybe it's just the green "mileage" markers that are in kilos per article below.

ARTICLE
 
pdedse_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
soulmachine_imp said:
Which counties within the US post in KPH?
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.

Recently spotted in Kentucky (quite surprising).

Possibly FL and AZ only because my memory is fading.
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.
Hmmmm. I live in NoCal and have been riding here for a couple of decades. I've ridden in all 58 counties in California, and regularly ride in NoCal. I've never seen a speed limit posted in KPH here; not on a highway, a county road, a city street...anywhere.

Not saying you're wrong. I just haven't seen such a thing here.
Can't speak for CA, but I used to live in Phoenix and remember driving south of Tucson where signs are in kilos. Or maybe it's just the green "mileage" markers that are in kilos per article below.

ARTICLE

Can't speak for CA, but I used to live in Phoenix and remember driving south of Tucson where signs are in kilos. Or maybe it's just the green "mileage" markers that are in kilos per article below.

[url=https://gizmodo.com/an-arizona-highway-has-used-the-metric-system-since-the-1643536691]ARTICLE
I concur in regards to distance in kilometers. Saw similar signs outside the Titan II Missile museum area (AZ). Kinda weird, little inconsistent spots and spats of metric here and there.

- - -

(man I miss AZ)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
soulmachine_imp said:
Which counties within the US post in KPH?
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.

Recently spotted in Kentucky (quite surprising).

Possibly FL and AZ only because my memory is fading.
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.
Hmmmm. I live in NoCal and have been riding here for a couple of decades. I've ridden in all 58 counties in California, and regularly ride in NoCal. I've never seen a speed limit posted in KPH here; not on a highway, a county road, a city street...anywhere.

Not saying you're wrong. I just haven't seen such a thing here.
Can't speak for CA, but I used to live in Phoenix and remember driving south of Tucson where signs are in kilos. Or maybe it's just the green "mileage" markers that are in kilos per article below.

ARTICLE

Can't speak for CA, but I used to live in Phoenix and remember driving south of Tucson where signs are in kilos. Or maybe it's just the green "mileage" markers that are in kilos per article below.

[url=https://gizmodo.com/an-arizona-highway-has-used-the-metric-system-since-the-1643536691]ARTICLE
I concur in regards to distance in kilometers. Saw similar signs outside the Titan II Missile museum area (AZ). Kinda weird, little inconsistent spots and spats of metric here and there.

- - -

(man I miss AZ)

Both my children were born there, but we moved to OR shortly after #2...tried for a number of years to get back, never quite worked out.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
As far as I know there is no requirement for that. It could be just easier to do as some bikes go it Canada, etc.

Now I have to go look at my car speedo...

Ok, Google is my friend. Has to be one or the other or both: Federal Register :: Request Access
To be clear, the cited standard says that speedos in the US have to be in MPH or MPH and KPH. There is no option for a vehicle to have KPH only.
 
Richard_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Start savin' up yer pounds folks.
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Start savin' up yer pounds folks.
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100 Apologies. Bit clunky this post of mine. Sausage fingers. What I was trying to write is that I've just bought a new 2019 EX because (it seems to me) that the days of the CB are nearly over (in the UK anyway). With Euro 5 & 6 looming fast. There's a fair few on the used market here but the pool of new ones seems to be getting smaller all the time. The Honda dealer I'm using says there are no more coming. I had an itch to try out Moto Guzzi, so over the last 6 months or so I have been running around on them. Nice bikes but my heart/head is with the CB so decided to get one while I still can. The Guzzi has been traded.
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Jfro5687_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Start savin' up yer pounds folks.
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100 Apologies. Bit clunky this post of mine. Sausage fingers. What I was trying to write is that I've just bought a new 2019 EX because (it seems to me) that the days of the CB are nearly over (in the UK anyway). With Euro 5 & 6 looming fast. There's a fair few on the used market here but the pool of new ones seems to be getting smaller all the time. The Honda dealer I'm using says there are no more coming. I had an itch to try out Moto Guzzi, so over the last 6 months or so I have been running around on them. Nice bikes but my heart/head is with the CB so decided to get one while I still can. The Guzzi has been traded.
I agree. The emissions regs will kill the current version of the CB1100 in UK and I'd be surprised if Honda import the next one, given the low sales volumes.

So, yes, I think you've done the right thing in grabbing one while you can. :thumbsup:

I was interested in the Guzzi's because they use shaft drive, but in the end, the Honda is far more authentic imo. Which MG did you try?
 
Richard_imp said:
Jfro5687_imp said:
Jfro5687_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Start savin' up yer pounds folks.
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100 Apologies. Bit clunky this post of mine. Sausage fingers. What I was trying to write is that I've just bought a new 2019 EX because (it seems to me) that the days of the CB are nearly over (in the UK anyway). With Euro 5 & 6 looming fast. There's a fair few on the used market here but the pool of new ones seems to be getting smaller all the time. The Honda dealer I'm using says there are no more coming. I had an itch to try out Moto Guzzi, so over the last 6 months or so I have been running around on them. Nice bikes but my heart/head is with the CB so decided to get one while I still can. The Guzzi has been traded.
I agree. The emissions regs will kill the current version of the CB1100 in UK and I'd be surprised if Honda import the next one, given the low sales volumes.

So, yes, I think you've done the right thing in grabbing one while you can. :thumbsup:

I was interested in the Guzzi's because they use shaft drive, but in the end, the Honda is far more authentic imo. Which MG did you try?
I agree. The emissions regs will kill the current version of the CB1100 in UK and I'd be surprised if Honda import the next one, given the low sales volumes.

So, yes, I think you've done the right thing in grabbing one while you can. :thumbsup:

I was interested in the Guzzi's because they use shaft drive, but in the end, the Honda is far more authentic imo. Which MG did you try?
Like many of the Guzzis, in particular the Griso, V7 (even though I am too big), and V9. Definitely like the shaft. But the CB, or more generally, the Honda will give you less anguish in the end.

Moto Guzzi less authentic? :huh:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
Jfro5687_imp said:
Jfro5687_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Start savin' up yer pounds folks.
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Honda UK continue to list the CB1100.

According to the government registrations, there were only 35 2019 EX's registered in 2019 and slightly fewer RS's. In comparison with (for example) the Bonneville T100/T120 these numbers are tiny and probably equal about 5% of Triumph volumes - and that's excluding all the Thruxton/Scrambler Bonneville derivatives...

Having said that according to some British motorcycling press sources (and apologies if this has been seen/discussed in the past), a new CB1100 may be on the horizon.

This report (from July 2019) discusses the potential introduction of a Euro 5 compliant version...

Patents hint at new Honda CB1100 Apologies. Bit clunky this post of mine. Sausage fingers. What I was trying to write is that I've just bought a new 2019 EX because (it seems to me) that the days of the CB are nearly over (in the UK anyway). With Euro 5 & 6 looming fast. There's a fair few on the used market here but the pool of new ones seems to be getting smaller all the time. The Honda dealer I'm using says there are no more coming. I had an itch to try out Moto Guzzi, so over the last 6 months or so I have been running around on them. Nice bikes but my heart/head is with the CB so decided to get one while I still can. The Guzzi has been traded.
I agree. The emissions regs will kill the current version of the CB1100 in UK and I'd be surprised if Honda import the next one, given the low sales volumes.

So, yes, I think you've done the right thing in grabbing one while you can. :thumbsup:

I was interested in the Guzzi's because they use shaft drive, but in the end, the Honda is far more authentic imo. Which MG did you try?
I agree. The emissions regs will kill the current version of the CB1100 in UK and I'd be surprised if Honda import the next one, given the low sales volumes.

So, yes, I think you've done the right thing in grabbing one while you can. :thumbsup:

I was interested in the Guzzi's because they use shaft drive, but in the end, the Honda is far more authentic imo. Which MG did you try?
Like many of the Guzzis, in particular the Griso, V7 (even though I am too big), and V9. Definitely like the shaft. But the CB, or more generally, the Honda will give you less anguish in the end.

Moto Guzzi less authentic? :huh:
I didn't word it very well. I feel the CB1100 is a very authentic reference to the CB750 etc and Honda tried hard to replicate features while making a modern product.

To me, the V7/V9 are a bit more "tryhard" and more aimed at the fashion end of the market.

I could be wrong though. :rolleyes:
 
I am not sure what it is: I bought a Moto Guzzi Griso in 2014: what a spectacular bike!! But 2 years later it was discontinued. In 2016 I bought a second bike: a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. It was discontinued immediately. Then I purchased a 3rd bike last year: a wonderful Honda CB1100 (2016, A-model). And sure enough: it seems that they are going to be discontinued.
I guess my taste for motorcycles is not shared by the large majority of bikers... :(

(but I am very glad that there are forums like this one for those among us who have similar "odd" tastes! :) )
 
Yep, all of the CARC models have been discontinued.

Considering the V7 is the direct descendant of the original '70's heron head V35 and V50, and the CB1100 has a newly-designed engine intended to hark back to the look and feel of an early '80's Honda DOHC four, I'd argue the Moto Guzzi is the more "authentic" bike, whatever that means.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Yep, all of the CARC models have been discontinued.

Considering the V7 is the direct descendant of the original '70's heron head V35 and V50, and the CB1100 has a newly-designed engine intended to hark back to the look and feel of an early '80's Honda DOHC four, I'd argue the Moto Guzzi is the more "authentic" bike, whatever that means.
Yeah, "authentic".. I guess it means different things to each of us. When I made the original comment, I think the V9 Bobber was foremost in my mind, as it was the V9 I'd been considering the most.

To me, a factory "bobber" is a bit of an oxymoron.

138074c9472a60e500f9be1c25973863.jpg


Either way, I'm happy to have the CB. :thumbsup:

 
The small-block Guzzi V7s are nice and light. I just wished they would invest some money into the design and make them just a little bigger and faster. The big-block engines are powerful enough, but too heavy.
No matter what they do with the heads or fuel injection or displacement or transmission, they just aren't fast enough. Here's a chart of their relative specs, all from MCN. The oldest one is the fastest one.

 
I never cared the Guzzis being slow (actually, I lied there). They just seem so artful. I wish they were a wee bit more 21st century reliable and have a consistent dealership support network - at least in North America.

Nice pics Richard.
 
I love the look of Guzzis ( and BMWs). Just dont like riding either of them. I test rode a Breva 750 ( where's the power or the brakes)? Rode a Griso , plenty of power, none of it below 4k rpms. Same issue I have with BMWs. They are revvers and not luggers. I love my CB and my FJR (and my ST 1300 before that) because of their ability to run cleanly at 2500-3500 rpms the rpm range I prefer to ride in.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I love the look of Guzzis ( and BMWs). Just dont like riding either of them. I test rode a Breva 750 ( where's the power or the brakes)? Rode a Griso , plenty of power, none of it below 4k rpms. Same issue I have with BMWs. They are revvers and not luggers. I love my CB and my FJR (and my ST 1300 before that) because of their ability to run cleanly at 2500-3500 rpms the rpm range I prefer to ride in.

I’d have to argue the case for BMW being capable of producing luggers. My R1250GS is very happy at low revs and has so much torque it pulls like a steam train without any need to rev it out.

However, I do agree with you that torquey engines (luggers) are nice to ride, which is also why I enjoy the CB.

3cef0634b03ff63f3535c4bee88d2364.jpg
 
I've ridden several BMW's, R75, R90, R1150R Rockster, R1200R, 1600GL but have never ridden a GS, even though one of my best riding buds owned 2 of them. The R1200R I rented and my wife and I rode around Europe for 2 weeks. Thought it was a pretty nice bike other than the power band.

I'm just not big enough to ride one of those GS beasts lol. I did sit on one of his but my feet dangled in the air on both sides, and although he offered multiple times, I didn't feel comfortable riding it.
 
Back
Top