Is the CB1100 no more?

SportsterDoc_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Holy Mother of CBs! The video showing that huge herd of CBs all together was eye-pleasing. On the CB1100 I feel as if I'm one of the last of a species that has to make special efforts to see one of its own kind...and then to know that across the pacific pond there are vast flocks...how fun that even looked!
12,500 miles and I did not see one other than mine, except on a dealer's showroom.
Maybe because most of my riding was remote areas?
I don't know...I live in the Portland, OR area and I have seen one other CB1100 in the parking lot where I work. I have met up with other owners for a couple of planned events / rides; otherwise, I haven't seen another CB1100 while riding (or driving a car)...ever.
 
CB1100 Riders club Taiwan

2019

2018

2017

2016

I'm hoping we will out do these folks at the 2020 EC Rally. They put an a show,
Vendors and everything.........

With this much support Honda wouldn't dare stop their production, which might give future US models a little hope for a limited run, now and then.

ACK
 
Quote: Ack-CB11 I'm hoping we will out do these folks at the 2020 EC Rally
Gonna need a few more people signing up to beat that.

Ack, you bringing the girls in the boots and hot pants? :clap:
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Quote: Ack-CB11 I'm hoping we will out do these folks at the 2020 EC Rally
Gonna need a few more people signing up to beat that.

Ack, you bringing the girls in the boots and hot pants? :clap:
Gonna need a few more people signing up to beat that.
Ack, you bringing the girls in the boots and hot pants? :clap:
Plenty of time......but that's a tough act to follow.

They've got a mini Daytona bike week with all CB's over there!!

ACK
 
Still selling new CB1100’s here in the UK for 2020. I’ve not seen another CB1100 on the roads here so they are pretty rare. It would be good to have a UK CB1100 club meet but there aren’t enough to justify one.

I like the idea of t-shirts and matching CB1100 hats etc.
These are such a cool bike to own. Wish I’d got mine sooner in my bike ownership history.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
CB1100 Riders club Taiwan

2019

2018

2017

2016

I'm hoping we will out do these folks at the 2020 EC Rally. They put an a show,
Vendors and everything.........

With this much support Honda wouldn't dare stop their production, which might give future US models a little hope for a limited run, now and then.

ACK
They are probably saying something like, " ... Wǒ rènwéi yǒu mǒu zhǒng CB1100 lùntán, qízhōng dà duōshù shì xīfāng guójiā."









("I think there is some sort of CB1100 Forum that includes mostly western nations.")
 
pdedse_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Holy Mother of CBs! The video showing that huge herd of CBs all together was eye-pleasing. On the CB1100 I feel as if I'm one of the last of a species that has to make special efforts to see one of its own kind...and then to know that across the pacific pond there are vast flocks...how fun that even looked!
12,500 miles and I did not see one other than mine, except on a dealer's showroom.
Maybe because most of my riding was remote areas?
I don't know...I live in the Portland, OR area and I have seen one other CB1100 in the parking lot where I work. I have met up with other owners for a couple of planned events / rides; otherwise, I haven't seen another CB1100 while riding (or driving a car)...ever.
I don't know...I live in the Portland, OR area and I have seen one other CB1100 in the parking lot where I work. I have met up with other owners for a couple of planned events / rides; otherwise, I haven't seen another CB1100 while riding (or driving a car)...ever.
Yep and my riding was long distances in Nevada, California, Utah and Arizona.
California included rides from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and Death Valley.
Utah included Zion National Park, Cedar Breaks and road to North Rim of Grand Canyon.
Arizona included old Route 66, Kingman to Seligman (several times) and points beyond.

Rarer than my Moto Guzzi V7II and rarer than my Bonneville.
 
Ulljanrich_imp said:
In germany the Website for the CB 1100 RS is even more beautiful than it was in the last years. So, they are selling them here in 2020 for sure.
https://www.honda.de/motorcycles/range/street/cb1100-rs/overview.html
Nice looking machines! I do like the clean speedometer read out that just has KPH as opposed to my '17ex which has both MPH and KPH with a funny font that makes it look waaaaaayyyy too busy. This is how it shouild look:

8c5d634d8bd082eb37d30d8ebef0b1a1.jpg


I feel like I've asked this before, but is it by law that vehicles / bikes sold in the U.S. must have a speedo that indicates both miles and kilometers per hour?

And this? Just a beautiful shot...
b130a890bba0123a72329c7d5dc83321.jpg


However, I liked the boxy looking tank of the '13 / '14 that we got in the U.S. just as much.
 
As far as I know there is no requirement for that. It could be just easier to do as some bikes go it Canada, etc.

Now I have to go look at my car speedo...

Ok, Google is my friend. Has to be one or the other or both: Federal Register :: Request Access
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
As far as I know there is no requirement for that. It could be just easier to do as some bikes go it Canada, etc.

Now I have to go look at my car speedo...

Ok, Google is my friend. Has to be one or the other or both: Federal Register :: Request Access
Wait a minute - "Has to be one or the other or both"?

Does that mean unless there's another unit of measurement, the only other option would be a blank dial face......:huh::D
 
For sure in the U.S. mph is the dominant scale, km/h the secondary and/or optional scale. Some states are very strict about this and make bikes [imported] from Canada reverse the speedometer scales, if permanently printed on dial gauges.

In Canada it is the reverse (dominant km/h, secondary mph), but I don't think it is enforced. My Aprilia had mph dominant scale, km/h secondary.

Also keep in mind, there are many counties in the U.S. that post speed limits in km/h. So that may have some other effect on supplying secondary km/h scales.

- - -

Nevertheless, with many modern vehicles using digital and "smart" displays, the issue is becoming largely moot.
 
soulmachine_imp said:
Which counties within the US post in KPH?
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.

Recently spotted in Kentucky (quite surprising).

Possibly FL and AZ only because my memory is fading.
 
Only the .gov would say it has to be MPH or KPH or both. Like, what else is there?

Personally I like my speedometer in Furlongs per Fortnight :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
As far as I know there is no requirement for that. It could be just easier to do as some bikes go it Canada, etc.

Now I have to go look at my car speedo...

Ok, Google is my friend. Has to be one or the other or both: Federal Register :: Request Access
Good Link find...thanks! But if I may, a correction:

From the bottom of the section labeled "SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:"

"Therefore, today's technical amendment changes the language of the Speedometer display required by FMVSS 101 to “MPH, or MPH and km/h”. I added bold emphasis.

The above was a response to Ford which had previously:

recommended that “MPH km/h” be changed to “MPH and/or km/h”
GoldOxide_imp said:
For sure in the U.S. mph is the dominant scale, km/h the secondary and/or optional scale. Some states are very strict about this and make bikes [imported] from Canada reverse the speedometer scales, if permanently printed on dial gauges.

In Canada it is the reverse (dominant km/h, secondary mph), but I don't think it is enforced. My Aprilia had mph dominant scale, km/h secondary.

Also keep in mind, there are many counties in the U.S. that post speed limits in km/h. So that may have some other effect on supplying secondary km/h scales.

- - -

Nevertheless, with many modern vehicles using digital and "smart" displays, the issue is becoming largely moot.
Except when it comes to motorcycle manufacturers trying to make a retro looking bike?

; )
 
pdedse_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
As far as I know there is no requirement for that. It could be just easier to do as some bikes go it Canada, etc.

Now I have to go look at my car speedo...

Ok, Google is my friend. Has to be one or the other or both: Federal Register :: Request Access
Good Link find...thanks! But if I may, a correction:

From the bottom of the section labeled "SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:"

"Therefore, today's technical amendment changes the language of the Speedometer display required by FMVSS 101 to “MPH, or MPH and km/h”. I added bold emphasis.

The above was a response to Ford which had previously:

recommended that “MPH km/h” be changed to “MPH and/or km/h”
GoldOxide_imp said:
For sure in the U.S. mph is the dominant scale, km/h the secondary and/or optional scale. Some states are very strict about this and make bikes [imported] from Canada reverse the speedometer scales, if permanently printed on dial gauges.

In Canada it is the reverse (dominant km/h, secondary mph), but I don't think it is enforced. My Aprilia had mph dominant scale, km/h secondary.

Also keep in mind, there are many counties in the U.S. that post speed limits in km/h. So that may have some other effect on supplying secondary km/h scales.

- - -

Nevertheless, with many modern vehicles using digital and "smart" displays, the issue is becoming largely moot.
Except when it comes to motorcycle manufacturers trying to make a retro looking bike?

; )
It would not surprise me that some riders hack some applets together that will emulate any "steam dial" you wish on the modern motorcycle TFT LCD colour instrument cluster displays. In fact, one could change style daily - if desired.

For example:

Some early 1920s dial, yellowish, "cracked", one "bulb" burnt out, and a tarnished back face displaying engine RPM with a half broken "needle".

Maybe a '57 Ford Thunderbird cluster emulated on your dash?

Maybe an "alien" cluster fashioned on your dash?

Maybe a '13 CB1100 cluster fashioned on your '17 CB1100 dash? :)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
soulmachine_imp said:
Which counties within the US post in KPH?
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.

Recently spotted in Kentucky (quite surprising).

Possibly FL and AZ only because my memory is fading.
CA has been doing it for a few decades. I don't know which counties, but seen often in the northern half.
Hmmmm. I live in NoCal and have been riding here for a couple of decades. I've ridden in all 58 counties in California, and regularly ride in NoCal. I've never seen a speed limit posted in KPH here; not on a highway, a county road, a city street...anywhere.

Not saying you're wrong. I just haven't seen such a thing here.
 
Back
Top