Is it a sport bike?

Streetshark07_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I don't know if this has already been discussed, I mean I tried a little to find a mention on this forum, but didn't try that hard.
Anyway, can the Honda CB1100 be called a sport bike? I inadvertently got it classified as one on my Army unit's paperwork because the only 2 boxes were sport and cruiser and I figured it is closer to sport than cruising AND this got me rooked into having to sign up for a sport bike riding course (because of my hall monitor style nanny Company Commander).
I also have a legitimately sport touring bike that would categorically be a good match for this class, but I think the course would be SO MUCH EASIER on the CB1100.
So the question is, can I reasonably call this good standard naked bike a "sport" bike?
Thank you for your time.
-StreetShark:thanks:
 
It is a weird mix if you were to ask me, I wish the handle bars were alittle more swept back (but Hey i might just have short arms) It isn't a "Trick" bike but it's sporty enough for me.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus' pid='146543' dateline='1471416912 said:
This has previously been discussed with great enthusiasm. When I get gown I'll try to find the thread for you.
The machine says the specified thread doesn't exist.
 
Streetshark07_imp said:
Cormanus' pid='146543' dateline='1471416912 said:
This has previously been discussed with great enthusiasm. When I get gown I'll try to find the thread for you.
The machine says the specified thread doesn't exist.
Try this one..

Is the CB1100 a Sportbike? Ask Freddie.
Cormanus_imp said:
This has previously been discussed with great enthusiasm. When I get gown I'll try to find the thread for you.
Ah! Try here, Is the CB1100 a Sportbike? Ask Freddie.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...tid=8524&share_fid=74616&share_type=t
Tsk, tsk.....taptalk messed it all up.
 
Apologies Streetshark and thanks, Randy. Made a right balls of it!
 
A sport bike only in the sense that motorcycling is a sport in the minds of many. Honda lists it on their website as a sport bike. At my age and diminished capabilities, it's more cruiser than sport.
 
If only they had tuned it for performance..., then it would clearly be a "crotch rocket", by 1980 standards...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
I love My CB 750's and considered them the Super Bike /Cafe Racers of the day which was over shadowed by the fearsome Kaw 900 Z1 which became the new super bike of the day .
So = the CB 1100 is a retro bike that weighs less than the Z1, has more HP and more torque at 2K RPM than the Z1 had even at 8,500 so in my mind it is a sport bike.
 
I think we can all agree that the bike is a sport bike by 1972 standards when the Z1 came out. But is it a sport bike by 2016 standards when the question is being asked? and there is an obvious answer to that.
 
SPORT BIKE

This is the definition of a "sport bike". Neither the CB1100 nor the CB750 fit. Then, now nor in the future. The riding position is the most telling. It is a "standard" bike. That term was popular in the late 60 and early 70s to describe bikes like the CB750 and Bonneville and even the beautiful Norton Commando and that term differentiated them from the dirt bikes and Harleys.
Glad I could help.

EncartaDictionaries

NOUN

1.a high-powered motorcycle on which the rider leans forward over the gas tank
 
NightRider_imp said:
SPORT BIKE

This is the definition of a "sport bike". Neither the CB1100 nor the CB750 fit. Then, now nor in the future. The riding position is the most telling. It is a "standard" bike. That term was popular in the late 60 and early 70s to describe bikes like the CB750 and Bonneville and even the beautiful Norton Commando and that term differentiated them from the dirt bikes and Harleys.
Glad I could help.

EncartaDictionaries

NOUN

1.a high-powered motorcycle on which the rider leans forward over the gas tank
Since I replaced the handlebars and now lean forward on the tank I guess it is a sport bike. And Encarta is not much of a resource, far too politically correct.

"Je suis Freddie Spencer"
 
NightRider_imp said:
SPORT BIKE

This is the definition of a "sport bike". Neither the CB1100 nor the CB750 fit. Then, now nor in the future. The riding position is the most telling. It is a "standard" bike. That term was popular in the late 60 and early 70s to describe bikes like the CB750 and Bonneville and even the beautiful Norton Commando and that term differentiated them from the dirt bikes and Harleys.
Glad I could help.

EncartaDictionaries

NOUN

1.a high-powered motorcycle on which the rider leans forward over the gas tank
I agree. The 1100 can either be called a "standard" (modest power and upright seating position) or a "naked" (no plastic enclosing the frontal area and engine).
Standard is probably the best description.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
SPORT BIKE

This is the definition of a "sport bike". Neither the CB1100 nor the CB750 fit. Then, now nor in the future. The riding position is the most telling. It is a "standard" bike. That term was popular in the late 60 and early 70s to describe bikes like the CB750 and Bonneville and even the beautiful Norton Commando and that term differentiated them from the dirt bikes and Harleys.
Glad I could help.

EncartaDictionaries

NOUN

1.a high-powered motorcycle on which the rider leans forward over the gas tank
Since I replaced the handlebars and now lean forward on the tank I guess it is a sport bike. And Encarta is not much of a resource, far too politically correct.

"Je suis Freddie Spencer"
Since I replaced the handlebars and now lean forward on the tank I guess it is a sport bike. And Encarta is not much of a resource, far too politically correct.

"Je suis Freddie Spencer"
You can sit behind it and push if you wish and it will not be a wheel barrel either.

Encarta happens to be exactly right since I was there and know what the CB750 and brethren are called and why. The definition assumes you know that you must sit over the gas tank in the sport bike position, and so you do. On a standard the frame imposes an upright position. If you change that with new handlebars rather than buying a sport bike to begin with then it is just pretend.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think we can all agree that the bike is a sport bike by 1972 standards when the Z1 came out. But is it a sport bike by 2016 standards when the question is being asked? and there is an obvious answer to that.
The issue at hand is purely pyschological and has at its core identity politics. Those, like me, who insist the bike is in fact a sport bike and present a video of Fast Freddie scorching asphalt to prove it like to think of themselves as youthful, dashing, and devil-may-care in world view and actions, arrant to the end. The Honda is a temptress, inciting bad boy behaviour and suggesting perhaps a James Dean denouement.

Those who staunchly maintain the bike is a standard and eminently suited to the role of stately transport -- a mechanical equivalent of "Old Dobbin" -- see it as reliable, amicable, non-threatening, and staid, an icon of longevity and social responsibility, emblematic of a wise and responsible choice.

We see the bike as we see ourselves.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I think we can all agree that the bike is a sport bike by 1972 standards when the Z1 came out. But is it a sport bike by 2016 standards when the question is being asked? and there is an obvious answer to that.
The issue at hand is purely pyschological and has at its core identity politics. Those, like me, who insist the bike is in fact a sport bike and present a video of Fast Freddie scorching asphalt to prove it like to think of themselves as youthful, dashing, and devil-may-care in world view and actions, arrant to the end. The Honda is a temptress, inciting bad boy behaviour and suggesting perhaps a James Dean denouement.

Those who staunchly maintain the bike is a standard and eminently suited to the role of stately transport -- a mechanical equivalent of "Old Dobbin" -- see it as reliable, amicable, non-threatening, and staid, an icon of longevity and social responsibility, emblematic of a wise and responsible choice.

We see the bike as we see ourselves.
Well...since I am an old guy and also own a couple of late model "sport bikes" (a 2015 ZX-10R and 2012 GSX-R 750) I hope I can comment on this, once again, with some insight.

As I've said, I track the Gixxer and it lives in a cargo trailer otherwise, sans mirrors and passenger pegs. The Ninja is only ridden on the street. In no way do find the Ninja or the GSX-R any less exhilarating to ride than the CB1100.

The issue at hand is purely pyschological and has at its core identity politics. Those, like me, who insist the bike is in fact a sport bike and present a video of Fast Freddie scorching asphalt to prove it like to think of themselves as youthful, dashing, and devil-may-care in world view and actions, arrant to the end. The Honda is a temptress, inciting bad boy behaviour and suggesting perhaps a James Dean denouement.

Those who staunchly maintain the bike is a standard and eminently suited to the role of stately transport -- a mechanical equivalent of "Old Dobbin" -- see it as reliable, amicable, non-threatening, and staid, an icon of longevity and social responsibility, emblematic of a wise and responsible choice.

We see the bike as we see ourselves.
These are mostly your words and lots of them does not make it true. This is not a touchy feely issue. It is one of design and purpose differences. The sport bike developed from manufacturers taking last year's winning track racing bikes and marketing them to the public during the downturn in the market late 70s and early 80s.

Unfortunately this meant that since the new buyers were not professional riders they ended up on the side of a tree and you know the tree I am talking about. This activity is post CB750 and since these bikes were actual race competition bikes you then add a new category of bike developed, the "sport bike".
 
paul kellam_imp said:
It is a weird mix if you were to ask me, I wish the handle bars were alittle more swept back (but Hey i might just have short arms) It isn't a "Trick" bike but it's sporty enough for me.
Put on some Renthal bars and that's what you will have. That's what I did and made a world of difference.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Could just be me and in my mind but when I got off the Cushman Eagle and onto my Yamaguchi at age 11 it was the sport bike of the day
 
Perhaps you are right, because I am old(er) than you, that I see the bike with different eyes. My son is 37 has younger eyes, and doesn't consider the CB sporty in any way whatsoever and yes he has ridden it. He thinks it's a perfectly "nice" motorcycle. In the sporting category it doesn't compare to his 115 hp 450 pound FJ-09 which is lighter, faster and handles better.

However if I were 18-25 and looking for a "sport bike" I wouldn't cast a sideways glance at the stodgy CB1100, or the FZ/FJ for that matter, but would walk right past them to the rows of Ninja, Gizxxers, R-1s and CBR's, which are lighter, faster, handle better, brake better, have sportier rubber, and have a sportier look than either of them. Bikes actually designed to be sport bikes. So I guess it's really just a matter of perspective.
 
Back
Top