Is Honda next?

Offroad

Road warrior
Thread starter
I saw my local Honda dealer was expanding his show room, so I stopped in to see what inventory they had.

To my surprise, the only new Honda motorcycles in the store were 3 Goldwings and 3 or 4 Honda 50's or 70's.

I asked the salesman why motorcycle sales were down....he said because us old people are the only ones riding. Young people would rather ride them in a video game.

The room was full of 4 wheelers and "side by sides" and he said that is what the new expansion was for...."because that is what's selling."

Sad

I guess I should add this is also a Polaris dealer, but used to be 100% motorcycles.
 
The same thing happened to the local Honda dealer where I live but their explanation was a little different. They said it was because in winter they sale about 6 ATV to 1 motorcycle. The only had about 10 new bikes different brands like 20 used and like 50 ATV's. Hee haw hunting season is on!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
 
I've noticed several dealers in my area are doing the same thing. A couple of them have said they're selling a lot more ATVs and dirt bikes as opposed to street bikes these days.

Some have surmised that the distracted-driving public in cages has gotten out of hand and is leading more folks to get their two wheel fix off-roading instead.
 
Agree with what's been said. My son was riding dirt since he was about 7 and of course, starting out that young, he was fearless and very good at it. We had to stop after a few years due to no place to ride within 90 minutes of where we are, and all the post 9/11 rules guarding against trespassing near railroads, etc. When he came back from college I one day found him sitting on my motorcycle that was parked in the driveway. So I started a discussion about if he wanted to ride and I would help him get one and get him all the safety gear. To my surprise, he smiled and then shook his head and said "No thanks. It's just too crazy around here these days." Meaning all the traffic and poor drivers.

As you all know by now, lately I visited a few Triumph dealers and they all swore they're selling a lot of Bonnevilles. One of them, where I bought one of my two Bonnies at, was also a Polaris dealership and I was struck by the large selection of ATVs they carried. They also had a few 3 wheel Can Am Spyders there too and remarked that everyone's looking for a used deal and whatever used bikes they get in are sold after a single day of being on the floor or advertised online. Apparently it's the same everywhere. People are looking for a deal on a slightly used bike rather than pay MSRP and dealer freight and set up fees on a new one.
 
Dealers here are now ATV shops, not motorcycle shops. Roughly 75% of floor space is for ATVs, 10% gear and 15% motorcycles. Half of the motorcycles on the floor are dirt bikes/enduros.
 
Same here ATV, jet skis, boats 3 wheel vehicles and some motorcycles

The distracted drivers will drive me to quit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My eldest son quit riding a few years back after some close calls from distracted drivers. He now pilots a Polaris Razr, side by side and loves it. I can't blame him at all, everytime I'm out riding I see drivers crossing the centerline on my side of the road and people vectoring while playing with their phones doing something other than driving. Rant over...
 
Honda PowerSports of Crofton, MD had about 40% of the floor with ATVs, some big ones. But they also had generators, outboard engines, and other items in Honda's lineup. The bikes were all 2016s, pretty much one of each. They only sell Honda products and seem to be doing ok. I took advantage of their winter sale to save over $1200 on a CB500F. It's being delivered today after a 6 day wait because their delivery guy has been busy. Guess that's a good sign.
 
CB you got the F and not the X huh? I will be interested in reading how you compare the CB 500 to the NC 700 you had.

How are you doing ambulatory wise? Are you going to be able to ride soon?
 
The ferret_imp said:
CB you got the F and not the X huh? I will be interested in reading how you compare the CB 500 to the NC 700 you had.

How are you doing ambulatory wise? Are you going to be able to ride soon?
Me too!
 
My dealer added Honda about a year ago. Before that they took on Indian. This year they added BMW and are building out the showroom now. They purchased the property next to them for ATV storage and prep. They now carry Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Indian, BMW, CanAm Spyder and the Polaris Slingshot. Plus a butt load of ATVs.
 
BMW has some very strict requirements of their dealers with respect to how the bikes are displayed and retailed (signage, carpeting, branding, paint colors, exclusive floor space, etc.) It'll be interesting to see how your multi-line dealer accomplishes this.
 
I know that an already established BMW dealership about 45 miles away is making a very small 'satellite' location in my town in a highway strip mall. I was surprised BMW would allow it, but they are fitting out the store now. Interesting that my town approved it, but they did not approve a free-standing sign that the dealer says is a BMW requirement.
 
I just don't get it. I had two Suzuki 4-wheelers in Montana because they are easy to make street legal and ride anywhere a licensed vehicle is allowed. But I sold them before moving to Florida because where can you ride them? Private property only....

I see people in the their 4 wheel drive pickups pulling a trailer with a big ol' side by side on it.....seriously?
 
Interesting observation. Right out my office door is our Honda wing, and 98% of the time, it's guys in their 60's+ browsing the Hondas. I'm sure that'll change once Spring/Summer hits. But, we also have side-by-sides and ATVs and sleds... though most units in the Honda wing are bikes, and we have plenty of the comfy cruiser styles (and a few 14' CB1100's that don't seem to sell - except for one a couple months ago)
 
Justin, if you have a bunch of Honda cruisers outside your door, that's why you are seeing a bunch of old guys. Move the crusiers and put a bunch of sport bikes there and the old guys go away.

Honda is beginning to have a problem. The touring bikes they make havent been updated in years, they have no sport touring bikes, the cruisers they make don't make the old guys happy, the sport bikes they make no longer make the young guys happy, the standards they make don't make much of anybody happy (except us), and the ADVs they make are rare and new to the game. Their street bike game is in the dumps The ATVs and side by sides are the only thing they have that sells ( at least around here).
 
The ferret_imp said:
Justin, if you have a bunch of Honda cruisers outside your door, that's why you are seeing a bunch of old guys. Move the crusiers and put a bunch of sport bikes there and the old guys go away.

Honda is beginning to have a problem. The touring bikes they make havent been updated in years, they have no sport touring bikes, the cruisers they make don't make the old guys happy, the sport bikes they make no longer make the young guys happy, the standards they make don't make much of anybody happy (except us), and the ADVs they make are rare and new to the game. Their street bike game is in the dumps The ATVs and side by sides are the only thing they have that sells ( at least around here).
Oh we have a variety of types here

Sent from my Z963U using Tapatalk
 
Their street bike game is in the dumps The ATVs and side by sides are the only thing they have that sells ( at least around here).
ferret up here a lot of the dealers in fall pull out the sleds, my local dealer uses about 1/2 of the showroom in winter
for sleds. They are very hard to display because they are hard to move around and they are big.
 
The motorcycle show here last year drew big crowds.

The Honda dealer had a prime location just inside the doors as you entered. In the front row all the sport bikes were lined up side by side, and there was a cute young lady that raced them to talk to. Nobody stopped there. Except me as I was leaving several hours later. I may be old, gray and slow, but I would never pass by a cute biker girl without saying hello. :shy:

As some of the older bikers passed the new Goldwings, they flipped the price tag and kept on going.

Busiest place at all the dealers was their cruiser models. Although I didn't see anyone looking as the Honda Fury or Stateline when I stopped to talk to my Honda salesperson. Maybe Honda should have continued their old VTX cruiser line. This seems to be what people are riding.



Despite being expensive here, the Harley displays drew a lot of people of all ages. The only other hot spot was the BMW dealer's adventure bikes.

There are a number of large clubs here, all cruiser based. When I stop at some of the well know biker rest spots while riding, it's mostly Harleys and look-alike cruisers. The old Harley riders talk to me, but the young cruisers don't. I guess the flock can't appreciate anyone who doesn't ride a cruiser and dress exactly like them. That's alright as I prefer to be a lone wolf while riding.

The only other group of note is the Beemer riders. And like the cruisers, they all dress alike and don't talk to anyone else either.

When they are not riding, these sheep must be the same cell phone controlled clones I see wandering aimlessly through the shopping malls.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
BMW has some very strict requirements of their dealers with respect to how the bikes are displayed and retailed (signage, carpeting, branding, paint colors, exclusive floor space, etc.) It'll be interesting to see how your multi-line dealer accomplishes this.
Indian has similar requirements. They have a separate showroom for Indians (in the same building) and they are doing the same for BMW.

Indian and BMW will be in separate showrooms and not mixed in with other brands on the floor.

Actually, BMW approached them about becoming a dealer.
 
Back
Top