interesting info, possible parts swap thread.

hondatillthedayidie_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So i read this cool article last night from japan where a jounalist went and interviewed everyone on the design team for the cb1100 platform.



Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.|Honda Global Corporate Website


So as it turns out, the 1100 is based largely from the cb1300 super four platform.
The engines are very similar just one is air cooled.

Lots of good info in here. Maybe based on this we could start a parts swap thread?
 
The CB1100 and CB1300 share valve springs, crankshafts, air filter element, cam chain tensioner assembly, entire clutch boss, basket, plates and everything is shared EXCEPT springs (CB1300 has stiffer springs), and water pump. The pistons (from what I can see) are a larger bore and dished differently for higher compression. Rods are probably a different length as well. I just gave a quick look and those are a few PNs I was able to match. Hopfully that can help start a parts swap list. Not that it does Americans any good as we didn't get the CB1300 :( May open up some aftermarket options though!
 
Thread starter
The ebay in the u.k. has parts for the 1300 all over. Even entire engines for around 300 euros. Looks like the handlebar controls are the same and the outer engine covers. The article also states that the frames are similar. Id be pretty cool i think to do a franken-cb project with the whole 1300 engine. Pop in a radiator somewhere and plumbing for coolant. It looks as though the throttle body assembly is the same as well, of course it would require some tuning of the ecu.. It would be a pretty cool one-off though
 
The throttle bodies are fairly different. I can't tell you from parts diagrams, but the 1300 is missing a few pieces the 1100 has. Also injector size is different and the 1100 has more vacuum routing. Don't let me discourage you though! I'd be thrilled if you could manage to punch out the 1100 to a 1300 and run 1300 pistons and rods. We already know the crank is the same, so as long as you have an extra 200cc in the cylinder walls, it shouldn't be hard to do as long as the valve timing and angle doesn't cause PTV with the decreased combustion chamber size. Actually, the valve recesses in the 1300 pistons would be totally wrong. You'd have to use some kind of custom piston.
 
Thread starter
I would swap the whole engine, just for simplicity's sake. You could either put the 1100 throttle bodies on the 13 engine, or use the 13 throttle bodies and fab the ecu to compensate.. I dont think there is a head stay mount in there, so you may be able to swap the whole engine as a bolt on assembly, assuming there is enough room for the cylinder head under the tank.
Why would the valve recesses in the 1300 pistons be wrong?
 
Great article. I didn't realize all the challenges involved in creating a modern air-cooled inline 4 and found this statement interesting:

The materials we arrived at with the right heat- and friction-resistance characteristics are the finest materials used in any production bike.
 
hondatillthedayidie_imp said:
I would swap the whole engine, just for simplicity's sake. You could either put the 1100 throttle bodies on the 13 engine, or use the 13 throttle bodies and fab the ecu to compensate.. I dont think there is a head stay mount in there, so you may be able to swap the whole engine as a bolt on assembly, assuming there is enough room for the cylinder head under the tank.
Why would the valve recesses in the 1300 pistons be wrong?
So the valve PN is different so the size is likely different. But the big thing is the angle between the intake and exhaust valve. It's widened on 1100 for vertical clearance and looks. The cam valley is much narrower on the 1300.
 
Thread starter
Ah yes, now i understand what you mean. I wonder if the liquid cooled engine assembly from the 1300 would clear under the fuel tank?

I know it would compromise the whole look of the bike, but the 1300 powerplant isnt necesarily 'ugly'...
 
Man if I put a liquid cooled engine on my bike, it'd defeat the purpose haha! I'm such a fan of fins... you have enough room in the frame to mount it. I'd don't think the frame mounts are the same though.... I'd have to look, but intuition tells me the frame designs are vastly different. Really, if you clearanced the tank and built custom mounts and got the sprockets to line up, you should be set. You have a lot of room on the bike. But it may be much more worthwhile to have a custom set of cams built and have higher compression, larger bore pistons installed.
 
Thread starter
I just figured it would be more reliable to put in the engine that parts are designed for rather than modifying an engine for parts that dont fit..

The one most important thing to me, is the exhaust note. I have have a couple of older inline fours, and they all sound like true muscle bikes.. My favorite was my 84 nighthawk 700s. I loved that bike.. It had vance & hines pipes on it and it burbled down low but up past 7k to redline, it sounded more like an F1 car.
That is the sound im after. I think the only thing thatll get me there is dual exhaust. $$$$
You know what my favorite part of the 1100 is though?

Its been a minute since honda wrote its engineers a blank check. This is the perfect example of what they can do. Complete and total perfection. Best materials, finest ride quality... Nobody elses 'throwback machines' even comes close to this... reminds me of a time when bikes were built for a purpose and with a standard. not just to fit the riders pocketbook.
 
My decat + Arrow muffler has a sound like what you describe. It can be done cheap! But this engine is quite a bit different than the older SOHC and DOHC designs. I too am hunting the same sound and I know I won't get it from this engine. But I am pretty close!
 
Back
Top