Houtman_imp
Road warrior
I prefer to sleep at night and not worry about insurance or the IRS .
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
He's lucky to only injured himself, no liabilityCormanus_imp said:Insurance requirements depend in part on local laws, so it can be hard for an outsider to comment. In Australia it's mandatory for every registered vehicle to carry third-party injury insurance so that, theoretically at least, everybody is insured against harm they might cause other people. Although the insurance is provided by private providers, the premiums are collected by government at the time of registration and you can't renew the letter without the former.
Property and vehicles—your own and others—are not covered and that's where you have to start making a call on whether the risk/reward ratio is worth it. Personally, I would always carry third-party property insurance to make sure I had some protection against ploughing into someone's Rolls Royce, but I'm fast reaching the point where insuring the CB1100 against damage I may do it isn't worth the premium. In other words the risk is worth bearing as I could probably (just) afford to buy another bike and the accumulated cost of premiums isn't worth it for any benefit I'd get.
The other thing I suspect many people forget with insurance is that it isn't 'free money'. Every claim you make has to be financed somehow and the more claims paid out that are greater than the premiums paid, the more likely it is that the insurance company will have to raise more cash in future. Guess who they get it from? If you can afford it, self insurance is likely to work out cheaper and, in some areas of life, is likely to make the thoughtful work harder to manage their risks.
All my vehicles only have liability, no comprehensive/collision, Brampton again, as we already said.GoldOxide_imp said:At the five year-old mark of a vehicle I routinely drop extraneous coverage (e.g. collision, theft, ... ) and maybe boost liability depending on how I feel. Vehicles, including our beloved CB, are just things and, in particular, rot in some climates. If your things are easily replaced, then this could make sense to you and follows Cormanus's posit.

He's lucky to only injured himself, no liabilitypeterbaron_imp said:He's lucky to only injured himself, no liabilityCormanus_imp said:Insurance requirements depend in part on local laws, so it can be hard for an outsider to comment. In Australia it's mandatory for every registered vehicle to carry third-party injury insurance so that, theoretically at least, everybody is insured against harm they might cause other people. Although the insurance is provided by private providers, the premiums are collected by government at the time of registration and you can't renew the letter without the former.
Property and vehicles—your own and others—are not covered and that's where you have to start making a call on whether the risk/reward ratio is worth it. Personally, I would always carry third-party property insurance to make sure I had some protection against ploughing into someone's Rolls Royce, but I'm fast reaching the point where insuring the CB1100 against damage I may do it isn't worth the premium. In other words the risk is worth bearing as I could probably (just) afford to buy another bike and the accumulated cost of premiums isn't worth it for any benefit I'd get.
The other thing I suspect many people forget with insurance is that it isn't 'free money'. Every claim you make has to be financed somehow and the more claims paid out that are greater than the premiums paid, the more likely it is that the insurance company will have to raise more cash in future. Guess who they get it from? If you can afford it, self insurance is likely to work out cheaper and, in some areas of life, is likely to make the thoughtful work harder to manage their risks.
All my vehicles only have liability, no comprehensive/collision, Brampton again, as we already said.GoldOxide_imp said:At the five year-old mark of a vehicle I routinely drop extraneous coverage (e.g. collision, theft, ... ) and maybe boost liability depending on how I feel. Vehicles, including our beloved CB, are just things and, in particular, rot in some climates. If your things are easily replaced, then this could make sense to you and follows Cormanus's posit.
Amen.
All ride safe![]()
All my vehicles only have liability, no comprehensive/collision, Brampton again, as we already said.GoldOxide_imp said:At the five year-old mark of a vehicle I routinely drop extraneous coverage (e.g. collision, theft, ... ) and maybe boost liability depending on how I feel. Vehicles, including our beloved CB, are just things and, in particular, rot in some climates. If your things are easily replaced, then this could make sense to you and follows Cormanus's posit.

He's lucky to only injured himself, no liabilitypeterbaron_imp said:He's lucky to only injured himself, no liabilityCormanus_imp said:Insurance requirements depend in part on local laws, so it can be hard for an outsider to comment. In Australia it's mandatory for every registered vehicle to carry third-party injury insurance so that, theoretically at least, everybody is insured against harm they might cause other people. Although the insurance is provided by private providers, the premiums are collected by government at the time of registration and you can't renew the letter without the former.
Property and vehicles—your own and others—are not covered and that's where you have to start making a call on whether the risk/reward ratio is worth it. Personally, I would always carry third-party property insurance to make sure I had some protection against ploughing into someone's Rolls Royce, but I'm fast reaching the point where insuring the CB1100 against damage I may do it isn't worth the premium. In other words the risk is worth bearing as I could probably (just) afford to buy another bike and the accumulated cost of premiums isn't worth it for any benefit I'd get.
The other thing I suspect many people forget with insurance is that it isn't 'free money'. Every claim you make has to be financed somehow and the more claims paid out that are greater than the premiums paid, the more likely it is that the insurance company will have to raise more cash in future. Guess who they get it from? If you can afford it, self insurance is likely to work out cheaper and, in some areas of life, is likely to make the thoughtful work harder to manage their risks.
All my vehicles only have liability, no comprehensive/collision, Brampton again, as we already said.GoldOxide_imp said:At the five year-old mark of a vehicle I routinely drop extraneous coverage (e.g. collision, theft, ... ) and maybe boost liability depending on how I feel. Vehicles, including our beloved CB, are just things and, in particular, rot in some climates. If your things are easily replaced, then this could make sense to you and follows Cormanus's posit.
Amen.
All ride safe![]()
All my vehicles only have liability, no comprehensive/collision, Brampton again, as we already said.GoldOxide_imp said:At the five year-old mark of a vehicle I routinely drop extraneous coverage (e.g. collision, theft, ... ) and maybe boost liability depending on how I feel. Vehicles, including our beloved CB, are just things and, in particular, rot in some climates. If your things are easily replaced, then this could make sense to you and follows Cormanus's posit.

Well said. True for other countries as well.EmptySea_imp said:Here's what you are if you drive/ride without liability insurance*
Selfish: You have no concern for the person you injure or kill or their families.
Greedy: It is more important to you to save some premium dollars than it is to take responsibility for your own actions.
To sum up - If you live in the US or Canada (not going to speak for countries besides these two) and you drive/ride without liability coverage, you are a horrible person.
*Assuming that you don't have your own escrow account with $2,000,000US in it for paying potential claims.
*Liability insurance pays for injuries you cause to others. No one but you (possibly your lender) cares if your car/bike gets damaged.
Nice price Minne*CB. The problem for some of us is we live in statistically higher risk regions. Take PB for example: He hangs out in God's Land - Brampton, Ontario. Myself, not much better.MinneapolisCB_imp said:State Farm insures my “2014 Honda CB1100 Standard” for $251/year for full coverage. Maybe I have a better agent than I thought, because they had no issue finding it.

Nice price Minne*CB. The problem for some of us is we live in statistically higher risk regions. Take PB for example: He hangs out in God's Land - Brampton, Ontario. Myself, not much better.GoldOxide_imp said:Nice price Minne*CB. The problem for some of us is we live in statistically higher risk regions. Take PB for example: He hangs out in God's Land - Brampton, Ontario. Myself, not much better.MinneapolisCB_imp said:State Farm insures my “2014 Honda CB1100 Standard” for $251/year for full coverage. Maybe I have a better agent than I thought, because they had no issue finding it.
![]()

The difference is your bike gets out every month of the year, while mine hibernates at least four months a year! Regardless, I have found State Farm to be reasonable, especially if you also insure your automobile with them.The ferret_imp said:Last time I checked, when I was going to drop to just liability only on one of my bikes, it was like $50 difference, so I just kept full coverage in case it was stolen. I'm with State Farm. I think I pay a little less than Minneapolis CB for full coverage on my CB.